Tack room re-vamp. What?

ajf

Visit site
Right I'm re-doing the tack room at home and wanted some input of what you LOVE or dream about in your tack room and what you really hate.

Also any cheap alternatives to saddle/bridle/rug racks (or anything elas you can think of) would be greatly appreciated.

Answers on a post card :D

Tnavas

Visit site
Large Plastic containers on wheels that also stack.

The eco friendly shopping bags they are a great size for storing folded rugs, Hang bag on a rail with a meat hook. You can write on the side which rug is in it - I find the chiller bags the best as they have a zip - keep the spiders out!

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
Love.....
shelves
Old freezer/frides painted a nice colour, for storing anything that gets chewed by furry friends (which is EVERYTHING in our yard)
more than one hook - we each have a saddle rack with bridle hook, separate bridle hook AND nails in the wall for hanging tack, boot bags, lungeing equipment etc
Consider having some saddle stands made from wood - sanded and varnished, look very nice!

Dream of.....
CCTV
Rat traps/vermin control (silly thing to dream of but not high on our YO's priorities)
a non-leaky roof!

Someone once told me that for bridle hooks you can just screw empty food cans to the wall and paint them.

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
Also re-rug racks, on each of the beams in our tack room there are like the cheap locker room door hooks, put up specifically for hanging our wet muddy rugs to dry off. then once they're dry, we have a massive shelving unit in the feed room (bought from our local B and Q when it closed down i think) where we can store our rugs.

Enfys

Visit site
Bridle/halter hooks.

I saw off about 3" lengths of round poles, paint them and screw them to walls and outside each stable. Most of mine also have horseshoes attached.

Saddleracks: Some of mine look like this. I use thick foam insulating tubing over the top of mine, they were already in my barn when I moved, just never got around to replacing them.
IM000249.serendipityThumb.JPG

http://www.doitlikeawoman.com/archives/167-How-to-make-saddle-rack.html

akashapachamama

Visit site
My tack room is an original Victorian one wooden paneling and all the saddle/harness racks and hooks are decorative and ornate as they were, everything is intact. I use all the harness racks and hangers as rug racks which are very suitable and because there are loads I have space for nearly all of my rugs(and i have a huge collection!) the only thing which is lacking is enough shelves so would definitely second that, ands remember to have somewhere to hand riding clothers, hats, etc not just horsie bits.

DW Team

Visit site
Spray painted tuna cans make good bridle racks
Ikea Table legs to make saddle racks
Beam wall to wall makes rug rack
Large water But or whellie bin from ebay to hold HiFi
Freezer chest feed bin

Enfys

Visit site
Since my Boarders have taken over my other tack room I have shunted my stuff into the original harness room - now a workshop, so I am only allowed a corner of it.

The most useful thing is the full length metal rail with dozens of three pronged hooks sliding on it. I have hijacked a couple of sawhorses for saddles - maybe, one day, I'll get around to putting up some proper saddleracks.

fde3fe38.jpg

ajf

Visit site
Thanks every one, am going to put shelves down the whole of the end wall now and thanks for the "home made" saddle/bridle racks. Was just gonna buy some but actually really like the saddle ones so off to buy some wood!

If I lose my fingers though I'm blaming you lot! ;)