Tack room security....

Gucci_b

Visit site
Reading the small print in my insurance policy, it's seems no matter what locks you have and what steps you take to secure your tack, their is always a chance your tack will be stolen, and they will not pay up!!.. just wondering what steps you have taken to secure your tack..

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
our yard tackroom has 3 locks, one is an ordinary padlock,one is a combination padlock and the other is a combination bolt..also a large dog that lives on the yard. number one daughters saddle lives at home though as cost a lot more than the other two

_OC_

Visit site
I do not keep at yard,and ours is very secure! However, when I kept my girl at friends and had my tack stolen there(a very nice Frank Bains saddle gutted I was
frown.gif
) I was told by Petplan at the time of claiming that the door needed to be secured and fitted with a five lever mortice lock....I think this is what is required now,and I did get paid out old for new as this is what was on the door! TBH, I would not keep my tack any where other than home now,once bitten and all that!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You must read the fine print because when you do you will probably see that your saddle is not covered unless you have it actually named on the policy. 'Tack' means virtually everything except the saddle, you have to give details of that seperately......I found this out a few years ago....read the small print & this is a well respected company.... not the company that we don't like to talk about.
frown.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
And are you aware that the livery yard has no responsibility for your tack - it is totally your responsibility to ensure that your saddle is covered. As a yard owner I provide a secure tack room, but non f my liveries has actually asked me to increase the security - to check the quality of the locks etc.

I have never insured my tack on my horses policy - i insure it on my household policy - extended contents.

D

Donkeymad

I thought a five lever mortice lock was required by nearly all Insurers.

YorkshireLass

Visit site
I don't insure my tack. I figured that if I don't get it nicked for 8 years then I will be in profit as far as paying the premiums go.... I haven't had it nicked ever, so I have saved more than the tack is worth by not insuring it. If the whole lot got taken tomorrow and I went out and replaced it, I would still be in profit!

My tack room has no lock, just a sign on the door that says "Beware of the Bull" we have a farm, so quite feasable that there will be a bull in there!

custard

Visit site
I take it home and it's covered on the house policy, cheaper than on the horse policy. I only keep cheap synthetic bridles, girths etc at the yard and just strip the saddle each time i use it.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
My advice would be to get all your tack post coded and in addition get your saddles postcoded and microchipped. In the event of them being recovered then they will ay least know who it belongs to.

Also get a burglar alarm fitted with a link to a central monitoring service so that the police are alerted when it goes off.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I have been looking at policies as need to renew mine for Beau, and what ive seen in practically all is that they do not insure for tack kept on property where 5 or more horses are stabled and their tack kept.

I have mine in a combination locked locker in a padlocked tack room - but it would be very easy to bust the tack room door open. My locker isnt yet bolted on to the wall so unfortunately whilst being secure from nosy yard kids, it a bit of a lucky dip for a robber!

Hersom

Visit site
Depends whether you really want to keep them out or just to be able to claim on the policy when it happens. If the latter then hanging the key on a nail in the next building probably doesn't count as security. I take my kit home cos the security on the tack room is so half-hearted.