Tack shops in Cirencester open today

dotty1

Visit site
I think the only horsey shop you will find open today in/near Ciren is Countrywide on the A419 towards Swindon. They have clothing/ rugs, tack, feed etc.

McNally

Visit site
There are 2 kind of old school saddlerys but i very much doubt either open on a Sunday.
Sidney/Sydney Free and The Cotswold Saddlery (not rec for saddle fitting! but ok for a look)

Cedars

Visit site
I am SICK of people slagging off Cotswold Saddlery. Lindsey is a GOOD fitter, who someone has clearly had a bad experience with and is now slagging her off over everywhere.

If anyone wants to use Cotswold Saddlery - consider this - I have a World Horse Welfare pony, who needs a saddle fitted, and WORLD HORSE WELFARE ARE MORE THAN HAPPY FOR ME TO USE LINDSEY DUE TO HER EXPERIENCE, EXPERTISE AND TRACK RECORD OF FITTING FABULOUS SADDLES.

EVERYONE makes mistakes occasionally, if you search for Laurence at Stroud or Carolyn at Stroud you find enough horror stories to write your own book. I personally have had a rubbish experience with Stroud but appreciate that firstly it was a one off, and also that we SHOULD have been more on the ball with what our horse was telling us.

Lindsey fits for our eventer, two saddles, both fit PERFECTLY, and also a saddle for our very very mareish mare, who reared up and over on my MIL due to the saddle Stroud fitted! Since Lindsey has been fitted, she has been an absolute joy under saddle. HOWEVER: our instructor uses Stroud (Laurence) and absolutely adores them - and she competes regularly in a variety of their fitted saddles - see, good and bad everywhere!

PLEASE use your common sense, and look around and obviously read people's experiences but bear in mind that Lindsey is being slagged off by one person who is insistent on PMing everyone who ever even thinks about Lindsey. If you're considering Lindsey and you want some more evidence that she is fantastic, PM me whenever and I'd be MORE than happy to send you photos of all our horses' saddles.

PS: No, no saddleries open on a Sunday around here!

Last edited:

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Cedars, I have to admit I read that other thread with a rising sense of dread as Lindsey fitted and has just been to readjust saddles on our yard - everything she said made sense, simple changes and basically what we had expected. But then I've been in the camp of 'thick numnah/riser pad can suffice' (from my RS days where ponies commonly shared tack). I'd be interested to read the full horror story if you've got it to forward via PM?

Cedars

Visit site
I am SURE that Dizzle would be more than happy to tell you the whole sorry affair! I do not know the full details and I wouldn't like to comment on it (although if you want my opinion then PM me :p).

Also, a comment on Lindsey not being a SMS registered saddler - she is not registered - however, if you ask her, she will more than happily tell you all of her NUMEROUS fitting courses, training, apprenticships etc she's be on - or please email me and I will also send you the same thing. She has a SMS working for her - she does the flocking etc - but Lindsey has a substantial amount of experience.

I say again, WHW are more than happy for me to use Lindsey.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Well my concern was that she had been recommended initially by a 'trainer' who I really do not rate, but having met her and seen her work I have no problem with what she's done either. Ours are very stoic, easy to fit types im sure, but then it seems most people with tricky to fit horses have many more problems with saddles anyway!

Cedars

Visit site
Yes - particularly horses that are dropping weight/picking up weight/dropping muscle/gaining muscle regularly, they WILL be harder and saddles WILL not fit when they did a few months previously.

But the eventer for example - she fitted a beautiful new saddle, few weeks later it had settled and we were a little uncomfortable with how low it was sitting, so she came out and altered (v little cost), then he lost a load of weight and muscle, so she altered, then he gained a load of muscle so she's altered again, and sure enough he's now a totally different shape AGAIN so she's due out to us in two weeks!

But she's not a bloody psychic - nobody could be - its down to the horse owner to notice if the horse has changed shape and to have her out if thats the case. Its also important that after EVERY ride you check your horses back - run your fingers along both sides and check for not much twitching, and also any uneven sweat marks etc - and if something changes, GET THE SADDLER OUT. They only see your horse AT THE FITTING - therefore any changes afterwards, its your responsbility to alert them to.

Clearly, the saddle needs to ultimately fit - I would be really miffed if every time Henry lost or gained condition we needed a whole new saddle! But she recommended an adjustable saddle for him because of his 'type', and we have had nothing but good stuff from the saddle since day 1.

Our dressage saddle is ironically the saddle that Stroud incorrectly fitted to our mare - to give you an idea, it was fitted to a 15.1hh short backed TB mare, it now actually fits a 16.1hh BIG long backed ISH! But like I said, we should have noticed well in advance of when we did (when Dots was on the floor with my MIL between her and the tarmac...) that the saddle was totally inappropriate!

McNally

Visit site
Im not slagging her off at all. Im also not just going along with others opinions. I have had problems myself, not on the scale of others ive heard but issues none the less.

xxMozlarxx

Visit site
Well my concern was that she had been recommended initially by a 'trainer' who I really do not rate, but having met her and seen her work I have no problem with what she's done either. Ours are very stoic, easy to fit types im sure, but then it seems most people with tricky to fit horses have many more problems with saddles anyway!

I've already expressed my concern about it being acceptable to slag saddlers or any other business, off on the forum when it's not Ok to do this about dealers, the posts don't seem to get pulled though.
I had a difficult to fit native and had 2 saddles from the aforementioned saddler, who also fitted my previous youngster. I had no problems whatsoever with the saddles, and neither am I biased, I went elsewhere for my current youngsters saddle, I just believe in a balanced view in all things.

Dizzle

Visit site
If anyone would like details of my experience of said saddler, please PM me and I will inform you of my dealings with her and those of the half a dozen other people who have messaged me with their experiences. Of course we could be in the minority but if looking for a saddle fitter I would rather be aware of both the good and the bad, than not.

dunthing

Visit site
I went to Cotswold Saddlery when I needed a new saddle for my ever expanding, oversized highland gelding. I found LInsey to be very good. She came to the farm, measured him, took photographs and I chose the saddle I wanted. I had it made to measure and it fitted perfectly. Unfortunately, he changed shape some time later and I sold the saddle on to another highland owner who was also very pleased with it. I have to say that Linsey, in my experience, was very professional and I would recommend her.