tacking and riding a wet horse yay or nay?

daydreamer

Visit site
hi, I got my share horse in this morning and he was soaking wet. After an hour at the yard doing jobs and generally kibitzing he still wasn't dry so i decided to come home and go back later.

I just wondered if other people tack and ride wet horses. I can't seem to remember being told not to so am wondering if I just made it up that it isn't a great thing to do?!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I don't tend to - but if I do (for lesson or when I HAVE to ride), I dry off their back as much as possible with a towel so they're more slightly damp than wet :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes I do, or I would never ride over spring, summer & early autumn.....when my fuzzy is out unrugged

I make sure I towel off the worst, then have a saddle cloth under the saddle which will be washed straight after.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It's not a problem. Just ensure the saddle pad and girth are clean and the horse is mud free under the tack and it'll be fine. If mine are very wet, I use a sheepskin cover on the girth to lessen the chance of rubbing.

Moomin1

Visit site
I try not to, but if you have a well fitting saddle and use a saddlecloth (clean, preferably) then you shouldn't find saddlesores etc a problem generally. Though depends on the amount of work you are doing, how often you do it etc.

Tbh, it's only really the same as when your horse sweats under the saddle anyway.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Yes I do, as long as its clean wet not mud. It's no worse than when a horse sweats under the saddle and girth area. If its a horse I want to rug up for the night (but who is out unrugged in the day) riding helps to dry them off a lot quicker than anything else.

Cocorules

Visit site
I do. Mine lives out and rarely needs to be rugged. I just towel her down and go. I have never had issues with rubbing and she comes back dry under her saddle. I would not ride much for much of the year if I didn't.

Jo1987

Visit site
I did this morning! Prefer not to obviously and will towel off as much as possible before tacking up. I've done this many times and never had any issues.

wattamus

Visit site
I did it last night, I only get to ride on Friday afternoons and weekends so was not letting a little rain stop me. I used a metal comb to get some water off made sure there was no mud then tacked up and went- and got rained on some more!!! Got to make the most of it, horse didn't seem that bothered once she'd got going either. Decided to put a rug on now though as I'd prefer not to put anything on a wet back especially as she can be slightly cold backed too.

daydreamer

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. At least I am not the only one who seems to prefer not to if possible. I guess I am lucky that I can usually avoid having to. I ended up going home, having a snooze with the cat and then some lunch then going back to the yard. I expect Legs had had something to eat and a snooze too. He was all dry and it had stopped raining - a win win situation all around!