Tail guard and travelling rug question

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF and LC both travel fine, except for liking to sit on the back bar in the trailer, which isn't good for their tails. I find tail guards slip down, so has anyone sewn rings onto the guard and a rug and clipped them together to keep the guard up? Would this work? Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Jericho

Visit site
Ohhh will watch with interest as I have same problem with our pony. I manage to stop him rubbing it for sweetitch but then he goes and wrecks it in trailer

Sorry PF - that's no help to you whatsoever but hopefully someone more helpful will come along soon with a sensible suggestion. Ohhh now I have started thinking about it - would a covered chain or rope work or would that be too dangerous if got a leg over?

Lego

Visit site
I haven't used rings securing tail guard to rug, but 2 other attempts...

Previous cob had a bandage, then full tail bag, then guard loosely over the top. Kept white tail clean til we got there, and always stayed up well - the tail bag material is slippery. Cob always leaned back enough in the lorry to get smudge on bum and tail contraption stayed put.

If you want to attach it all together, a previous horse had a nag rags travel set. Cotton rug with full surcingle. Matching tail guard had ties that went round the tail, and a set that went up to the surcingle.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I haven't used rings securing tail guard to rug, but 2 other attempts...

Previous cob had a bandage, then full tail bag, then guard loosely over the top. Kept white tail clean til we got there, and always stayed up well - the tail bag material is slippery. Cob always leaned back enough in the lorry to get smudge on bum and tail contraption stayed put.

If you want to attach it all together, a previous horse had a nag rags travel set. Cotton rug with full surcingle. Matching tail guard had ties that went round the tail, and a set that went up to the surcingle.

I'll look that up, thanks :)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Ohhh will watch with interest as I have same problem with our pony. I manage to stop him rubbing it for sweetitch but then he goes and wrecks it in trailer

Sorry PF - that's no help to you whatsoever but hopefully someone more helpful will come along soon with a sensible suggestion. Ohhh now I have started thinking about it - would a covered chain or rope work or would that be too dangerous if got a leg over?

They're little sh**s, aren't they? Ater all the trouble we go to to protect their fly swatters :p
The way the trailer is designed, if they weren't sitting on the bar, they'd probably be leaning on the ramp :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
Do you have to attach a ring or something to tail guard?

Usually you put tapes on the tail guard, long enough to run up to the surcingle/roller and stitch it on (to teh tail guard I mean) and then just put on tail guard, run tape up to roller and tie them in a bow . I tried to find a google photo but it's such an old fashioned way to do it that I can't :p

best I can do and doesn't show how it fits!

http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/upload/3713/images/Derby House Neoprene Tail GuardBag.jpg

Last edited:

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
There are 2 versions, the one in the link is a strap that runs along the spine and then splits in 2 to fasten around the neck. The other one i a strap that splits into many bits to form a harness that looks like a 5 point breastplate. They don't move and cost very little, the link has a price of 38PLN, which is around £8.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Malt used to do this.

Instead of fancy tail-guard solutions, I cut some tarp to size which hangs from the top of the trailer door down to about half way. It's slippery and doesn't stick to the tail guard. in fact, I stopped using tail guard.

When you put ramp down, just fold the tarp underneath the ramp. Might be a bit poo-ey so watch out. It'll dry though.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine does this, with the disadvantage she finds it hard to balance in the trailer! All tail guards rubbed her, so I use a leg gamgee pad, tail bandage and a gel bandage on top. Stops her rubbing & I usually flick it over the bar too

maxine1985

Visit site
I use a De Boiz Non Slip tail guard, its never slipped on any horse i've used it on, including ones who sit on the breech bar and swish tails round like a helicopter

Nice and padded, takes seconds to put on, i've no idea how or why it doesnt slip, but I usually have to undo velcro to take off as wont slide off like most tail guards

They offer a money back guarantee if it slips!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/de-Boiz-O...Horse_Wear_Equipment&var=&hash=item2ebf1d4a80

Beausmate

Visit site
I seem to have rather old-fashioned tail guards! Mine have long tapes on the that run along the back and tie to a surcingle or roller. My Clyst travel rug has a loop at the back of the rug for the tapes to tie to. In fact two of my tail guards don't even have velcro :eek: I've not had one slip yet, although they are wearing out. From what you guys are saying, it looks like I won't be able to replace them :(

Suechoccy

Visit site
Choccy will get a rubbed-bald tail unless I do the following:

1. Woofwear neoprene tailguard, velcro fastening, put on high up dock as poss and secured snugly so it doesn't slip down.
2. Move IW 505 breech bar forward to middle setting (not backmost setting) so there is a clear 20cm or so between his dock and the trailer ramp before we set off.
3. Put his tail over the top of the breech bar so he is in front of bar and his tail is behind it.
(3 also stops tail getting manured during journey).