Tail Guard

thaila01

New User
Visit site
What are the best tail guards for travelling. I've tried neoprene and bandaging and they just slip off. My boy ruins his tail every time he goes on the lorry :(

Cowpony

Visit site
Just a thought, but I'd get his hocks checked. Mine used to lean on the back wall to the point where she'd tear chunks out of her tail, and rub her bum into a graze. Tore my own hair out trying to find a tail guard which would protect her. Had her hocks injected a few months ago and she hasn't done it in our first 2 trips out since then. May be coincidence, but I'm watching it closely as it may be an indicator that her hocks need to be done again...

thaila01

New User
Visit site
He went down to Newmarket in July for a op on his sdft and hocks were checked to, there's no issues with them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
someone put up a photo of an upside down brushing boot - protective guard on the outside up the other day which looked like a good idea!

ezililaur

Visit site
Have you tried travelling without?

My mare would rub her tail on the back bar so the tail guard or bandage would slip down. Exposing a lovely loo brush look at the top.
I tried travelling without anything and she didn't rub.

I worked out she was rubbing her tail in an attempt to remove the guard! Travelled without since with no issues.

Enfys

Visit site
Oversized rug right over the bum, over a tail bandage maybe?

I don't have that issue thankfully, my pony is so short that there is 2' of trailer behind his arse.

thaila01

New User
Visit site
I've also bought some partition pads in a smaller size so he has one behind him. Hoping that everything together will solve the problem.

thaila01

New User
Visit site
I don't use detangle spray. I have a similar problem with boots, i.e. if they're sheepskin lined they just slip down. My boy is a warmblood and has a naturally really silky coat, mane and tail, which I love but at the same time it is a total nightmare.

tatty_v

Visit site
I use a bandage underneath a padded tail guard. I think it’s a soft mark todd one with a bag attached (grey pony!) I prefer it to the neoprene ones, which seem less flexible and more likely to move. Don’t know if the bag helps too?

Annagain

Visit site
Charlie's a nightmare with his tail when travelling. I bought the Premier Equine no slip one and it's great. When it arrived I thought there was no was it would stay put as it's not very wide but it does. I put it over a bandage at first but now just put it on by itself. A friend has a rubbery/silicon tail bandage and that's brilliant for staying put too. She puts a guard over the top as her horse is even worse than Charlie for rubbing his tail.

thaila01

New User
Visit site
Charlie's a nightmare with his tail when travelling. I bought the Premier Equine no slip one and it's great. When it arrived I thought there was no was it would stay put as it's not very wide but it does. I put it over a bandage at first but now just put it on by itself. A friend has a rubbery/silicon tail bandage and that's brilliant for staying put too. She puts a guard over the top as her horse is even worse than Charlie for rubbing his tail.

That's good to know hopefully it works for Duke.

Zuzan

Visit site
I use the cotton PE ones.. but I also have a foam roller along the back wall which seems to stop the rubbing. It's very easy to make one .. you need rope, hosepipe and the foam pipe insulation ... thread the rope thro the hosepipe, leaving enough rope at either end to tie onto the the partitions.. then simply use the slot in the foam pipe insuation to slide the hosepipe with the rope through it in. Tie either end to the partitions. This seems to add a sensory feedback which prevents the rubbing / sitting on the wall.

Widgeon

Visit site
I've tried without and its the same, I've actually just ordered a premier equine tail guard and it has grips on the inside so I'm hoping that will work for him.

I have this one - with the grippy inside and big fluffy top - and it works well. Mine is also a back-bar leaning bogbrush creator.