Tailbags

Vikki89

Visit site
Does anyone use tailbags? How long can they be kept on for? I have a traditional cob whos white tail is not clean to say the least, he doesn't lift it very well if at all when he goes to the toilet
crazy.gif
and am considering buying a tail bag.

_April_

Visit site
They are the best invention ever!

Mine is on 24/7 in the winter.

I have a cheapy one from Ebay and it's lasting well so far...

SilverSkye

Visit site
I have got a tailgaitor one use it 24/7 in winter, i try to remember to take it off every few days and brush tail through but sometimes i forget. I find mine a god sent with having a grey horse with a white tail i also find it fantastic to use when travelling, couldn't be without it now.

SilverSkye

Visit site
Don't see why not, a lady at the yard used mine as a template then made a load out of an old turnout rug, they have proved to be just as good as mine. Just make sure you get a waterproof one or the filthy mud will just soak through.

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Iv seen the tailgaitor one but there is also some on ebay for £4 inc. P+P, do you think they would be as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I have and it's just as good as the tailgator one. I have had both.

kal40

Visit site
I've just started using one for my cobster (only been using it about a week) and they are fab. My lad is also lazy in the tail lifting department so he tail got stained too.

What a difference this has made - I'm a total convert and I now feel my OCD is under control. I no longer have to spend hours on his tail and don't have to spend a fortune trying every single 'tail whitening' lotion and potion on the market.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I now could not live without my tailbag. I use the ones from Tailgator, plus their mane and forelock bags as they are the best - I know this because I was the person who got them to make the mane bags and was very involved in their specification and design and did the testing for them with Stinky, and they also took my suggestions for improvements on the tailbags onboard.

Stinky has his whole tail in one all winter, and in the summer, he had the bottom two thirds bagged and the top third left out - which is more than most TBs have.

Clean tail, put some survivor detangler (again from tailgator site) on it, comb through and then put the tail in two plaits for a traditional - top plait is from about half way down the dock and the underneath plait is from the end of the dock. Put the tags through both plaits and then fold the bag up and forget for two weeks.

They have only ever come off about three times in nearly four years - my fault as I was in a hurry and didn't do two plaits. They have never ripped, easy to clean and as they fold, you can ride in them.

I have taken Stinky to shows in March and his tail has not been washed since September and it is fine. That said, it is also black.

Finally the lifting. Jemima my first gypsy mare had this problem due to a back problem. Her tail was very stiff and did not easily move up and down or to the side. I had a very good chiro go over her and two sessions later she was able to lift it up when she went to the loo rather than crapping down it. Might be worth having him looked at as they should not be crapping down it - mine have very thick long tails and have no problem lifting it out of the way.

Mooch

photobucket.com
I have just been on TailGator's website to order my tail bags and mane bags, as a friend had recommended them for our cob.

I am gutted that they are not doing the mane bags anymore!!!!
frown.gif

I wish I had ordered them when my friend first told me to use them.

Anyone know of anyone else that does mane bags?

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Stinky has his whole tail in one all winter, and in the summer, he had the bottom two thirds bagged and the top third left out - which is more than most TBs have.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you happen to come back to this thread, just out of interest - how do you bag up his whole tail?

I attach mine under the dock at the top of the plait but the hair around the dock is left out - and is bogging!

smile.gif