Tails - How long should they be?

AMW

Visit site
depends what you have and depends what they do
smile.gif

bit of a personal thing horses tail length
wink.gif

Our TB had his pulled and trimmed, natives long, coloured trimmed, just depends. Personally I like to see them right for their type

Cash

Visit site
Never had a native, coloured etc, but have been taught that for TBs, ISHs etc they should fall to about 2 inches below the hock. But definitely personsal preference- i personally like them quite short
smile.gif

VioletStripe

Visit site
I, as a guide, would put my arm under the dock and trim it so that it was around an inch under is hocks. That's what I was old anyway, as it mimics the way they carry their tails when being ridden. It depends on your taste though, some people like longer tails, I just find it easier to keep clean if it a bit shorter! xx

magicgirl

Visit site
The length totally depends on the horse in question and what you want to do. Competition horses generally have shorter tails. M&M ponies if they are shown have the length that the breed standard dictates. Traditional coloureds are shown with full tails. Horses and ponies turned out for the summer are usually better off with a long enough tail to be an effective fly whisk. I suppose the best answer is that a tail should be as long or short as you want it to be.

My_chestnut_mare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I like em short-ish. Mainly as I don't like being whipped across the face with a shitty, muddy tail in summer - lol

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
grin.gif
that made me giggle^^^^ I'm the same.

Hari's tail is cut to just below her hocks.

where as jaes is long long as he had the thickest tail ever you could have 2 tails from it. May be even 4
crazy.gif

marmalade76

Visit site
A hand's width below the hock. A shorter tail is much easier to keep clean and looks smart.

I notice that racehorses and show horses (except M&M) have their tails kept short and I see a lot of eventers and dressage horses with longer tails than I would like. A long, thick tail must weigh a ton, especially when wet/muddy.