Taking deposit for foal

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
So I have someone interested in my foal. Not sold a young one before. I will take a deposit but what terms/conditions should I put in place please? Very sad sale ?

gallopingby

Visit site
You need to be very clear about your plans. Do you have a date for weaning? You need to specify a collection date ie by xx of month otherwise will be a weekly livery charge. Also your deposit needs to cover the costs of readvertising and be non refundable unless a very good reason And it needs to be a good percentage. You’d be surprised, or maybe not, how many people put a deposit down and fail to collect fr months or ever!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'm thinking back to when I bought my grey because it was approx 6 months between viewing her and her being delivered.

I paid about a 20% deposit.
If she had been injured and the sale couldn't go ahead this would have been returned.
If I backed out, it wouldn't be refunded.
Breeder didn't charge livery, which was their policy with horses that weren't paid for in full.
They delivered her.
I paid the balance on delivery in cash.
All paperwork sorted on the day of delivery in person (form for the passport change of ownership etc...).

It went very smoothly and it was helpful to me that the had sold many foals before so when they set out the procedure it sounded reasonable and I was happy to agree. I was sent regular updates and photos which was lovely. They did also make sure that she was going to a suitable set up with appropriate company.