Taking Dizzy Hunting

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Ok, so the plan is to take theDizzy one hunting... Sooner rather than later, before it gets into the 'serious hunting'.

The question is, am I mad? She's not yet as fit as I would like, she's a five year old DW, she's never been out with more than five horses, standing still is not a strong point(!), she can be a bit spinny and goes backwards at will (poor Will).

There'd be three of us going (me, 15 year old daughter, and Friend) including Dizz's best mate. None of the riders have been before (other than me, too many moons ago). The other two can jump, I and Dizz not so good
blush.gif

Katie__Connie

Visit site
Took my pony hunting last season... was my first time and about his second!!! probably wasnt the best idea but i really wanted to go so i did! He is very strong and speedy at the best of times so was crazy hunting! but had such fun and he jumped brilliantly despite me not having any brakes!!!
laugh.gif

If i were you i would make sure the other horses you go out with are sensible so at least it will only be you spinning and going backwards!! haha

Have fun!!
laugh.gif

Eira

Visit site
Yes you are nuts .. I wouldn't ever again hunt something without basic hunting manners (its far to dangerous for you and the rest of the field IMO)

liliro1

Visit site
Go for it! Been out three time cubbing over last couple of weeks with my nutty horse who wasnt the best behaved to start with but has now started to settle.
Just contact your hunt and explain the situation ask which meets would be most suitable, stick a green ribbon in your tail and try and keep out of other people way where possible.
How are horses meant to improve if they arnt given the chance.
You never know you might be surprised.... i was!

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
Hang on Mrs M!! You've only been cantering a wee while!! Hunting??? That's going quite fast and over quite big things to jump as I understand it?

Seriously, I would discuss it with hunt - as per liliro1's suggestion. You can't be the only person who wants to take their *ahem* less than experienced horse hunting....

Good Luck!!
grin.gif

sykokat

Visit site
Brave ? Yes. Nuts? Definately. lol. Cubbing- alot of standing around. Full hunting- have to jump whats infront of you. Ever thought about drag hunting her first. They keep you on the move, have a set course which usually has alternatives when it comes to fences, which may be a good idea with the Dizzy 1. Just an idea.
grin.gif

liliro1

Visit site
If it the standing around thats an issue (like it is/was for me) Master advised me to stand for a while, then keep him moving for a little while then ask him to stand again, gradually the more he settles the stands will get longer. No point in causing an agument and ending up doing the moon walk if you can gradually build up the periods of standing. just stay out of the way near the back and try not to get in the way of the hunt staff.
Helps if youve got a nice friendly hunt like the South Wold who where very accepting of my green horse!

Kenzo

Visit site
hmmm by the sounds of things then I personally wouldnt, not until she's more settled which will no doubt come in time, she's only young, not been out in huge company before and if she doesnt like standing around then you may have problems and upset a few people...although they might not say it.

Your always going to get horses that are like this at meets, you have to expect it with horses that are new to hunting but ideally you want them to be pretty sensible and grounded to start with so your not making any current problems any worse or causing any potential accidents, if you horse is being difficult in the field, they don't have time to stop and wait, you either deal with it and hang on and keep with the rest of the field, but out of harms way, or your left behind!

You can stick to a non jumping group, so not being able to jump is ok, but that would mean you'd be taking her away from the horses she knows, which would hopefully settle her a bit.

I'd wait another year until she's more ready for hunting and fitter etc, has she not had back problems? your never too old and the hunts never going to go anywhere, it will always be there and its much better and enjoyable to be safe than risk things in my opinon.

smile.gif

Digger123

Visit site
Better to go now when it is not so full on. Chat to the hunt sec and explain the situation. Sometimes it helps if they are not 100% fit as they tire, however they do need to be reasonably fit as you don't want the dizzy one to get hurt.
One tip though, do not under any circumstances aim for the fat cobs butt to stop you !! At best you will get some verbal abuse at worse you will be severely kicked. Even the best natured horse can object ...........

Daffodil

Visit site
Lovely to know she's feeling so well that you want to do this, but I know I wouldn't do it with a horse with a wonky pelvis.
I'd be far too scared of causing further problems. It does seem a bit soon after we were all so concerned whether she was ever going to be OK to be ridden at all, or even survive, which was the feeling I got. I'd certainly not consider it for at least another year, and that being with no further problems with her pelvis. But then I'm ultra cautious.

Keltic

Visit site
Mrs M which meet are you planning to do? the Locko park one is a good one especially if they do a childrens/intro meet, they split into 2 groups jumpers and non jumpers but you both keep meeting up, its brilliant fun. Ive been out from Morley Hayes and quite a few of the fences did not have an alternative you had to jump!! There are lot more ditches to cross than jumps i noticed when ive been out!
I took Katie and she had never been and im ashamed to admit id never even jumped her lol!! baptisim by fire lol bless her she was as good as gold but i dod discover whilst whizzing across a field i had no brakes!! OOPS!
Go for it!

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
For me, I wouldn't - purely because I'd worry her fitness isn't enough to cope with fast work over uneven ground and you'll only kick yourself if you do her / you more damage!

BUT it really depends on how you feel - if you think she'll stand up to it then go for it.

welshied

Visit site
I would say its up to you as only you know if her fitness is up to it as you don't want to push her too soon depends when you are wanting to take her as you did say you have only just started cantering her so taking her for a full day of fast work seem a little soon but i am sure you know if she is capable enough if you think she is then go for it but i would make sure you let the hunt know you are bringing an unexperienced horse etc

MissMillie

Visit site
Hey Mozart
laugh.gif

Defo go for it now. You'd only be out a few hours - go home when you both have had enough.

It was the making of Misty and helped in getting many of the other ponies thinking forward.

The fact that she's not too fit will work in your advantage also for first outing
smile.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Hm. Thankies folks.

I've been humming and ha-ing over this. I really want to go, and I know she'll enjoy it immensely. She's walked round a show ground with everything going off and was as calm as butter (not the same thing I know!). She doesn't call after other horses and will happily walk towards or away from them when we're out and about.

When I say 'hunt', I think I mean drag hunt
blush.gif
Not the full get up and glory as I know there's no way she'd keep up with that - we'd only planned on a couple of hours max anyway. I wasn't planning on doing any jumps at all, unless there was something very small that we could get a good clear lead over, though she's happy to jump (Dizz has done a tad more than me in my recent history).

It's the fitness thing that's bugging me. She power walks when we're out and about - two and a half hour hack yesterday (including pub stop!) and she was still outstripping everything else and full of go, right up until we were back at the yard and then she dropped her head. She was slightly sweated up under girth and a bit on her neck.

I thought of taking her to a meet so she could get a feel of it, but then bring her home again. Only drawback to that is that Friend and daughter will want to stay and hunt and Dizz might not appreciate having to leave their neds in that sort of environment. Locko Park might be a possible though, especially if I rope hubby in on the ground - once we're past a certain point she'll be comparatively okay.

I'm wondering if I could borrow something safe, sane and steady for me to go on. Not the same thing, and not what I'd planned, but best laid plans and all that.

I've emailed Sue Dyson at the AHT for her opinion - I'll expect I'll get a fairly definitive and to the point response!
cool.gif

Out of interest, what are the hunts like towards the end of the season? Would they be quiet enough for a somewhat fitter (fingers crossed!) Dizzy?

Edited to say: Sue says Yes! So long as I limit the time and bring her home straight away if she can't cope mentally
grin.gif
So, am going to look for a quiet hunt/drag hunt type thing with alternatives to all jumps, and where I can come home if I need to. Big Cob is fitter than Dizz, but between us we'll probably finish at the same time. Will have to consider Little Cob as both he and daughter are fitter than the rest of us put together!

Keltic

Visit site
The Locko meet (south Notts) is usually at beg Jan, what about the Burne blood hounds they meet at the back of Locko in the field accross from the Kennels on Derby Rd (do you know where i mean?) its less busy with less hounds etc and within hacking from your yard!
It could be the Readyfield Blood hounds i cant remember now im 99% sure its the burne though!! doh

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The Locko meet (south Notts) is usually at beg Jan, what about the Burne blood hounds they meet at the back of Locko in the field accross from the Kennels on Derby Rd (do you know where i mean?) its less busy with less hounds etc and within hacking from your yard!
It could be the Readyfield Blood hounds i cant remember now im 99% sure its the burne though!! doh

[/ QUOTE ]

Ta hun
smile.gif
. I think it's the South Notts that Friend was talking to. I'll give the Secretary a call and see what she says. I think a bit of Googling is needed
grin.gif

This is all totally proviso on the saddler being able to fit my Albion to the Dizzy one - somehow I don't really fancy trying it in a dressage saddle...
blush.gif
cool.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Just spoken to Friend
grin.gif

It is a beginners meet that she's aiming us at
grin.gif
, on the 12th October. I knew there was a reason I needed the saddler out before the end of September! They are very gentle with us and we don't have to do anything we don't want to do and everyone and horses are all unfit (or fat, unfit blobs as Friend put it lol).

Ah. Feeling better about it all already...
grin.gif

Just need m'check list now...:

Parachute,
Anchor,
Bubble wrap,
Full face helmet,

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
You hero
grin.gif

Ta hun. Will give us lots to look forward to
grin.gif

Oh, must remember to pencil in a stressage or two date so's Dizz doesn't think that every time she goes out it's to the Hunt lol. That and it will be good for a giggle
cool.gif

Herbie31

Visit site
Hve no idea as don't know her (took my mad head old boy out once only lasted an hour though as he was just tooo mad, and wanted to do more then I wanted him to do at his age - needed a stiff G&T after though
wink.gif
)

All I can say is have fun and be safe - oh and recent pics I think are in order!! lol

Wimbles

Visit site
I'd say go with the Burne or one of the drag hunts for your first time on the optional jumping days to see how she goes.

The South Notts are brilliant but you either jump or you get left behind!!!
smile.gif
plus there's the fact that the drag hunts are a pre set course, normally with nice hunt jumps that you pick and choose where as with the foxhounds you just go over whatever's in front of you, jumping out of sometimes bad ground.

First though, you need to come bezzing round the stubble fields with the skanky tb's!! yeeha!

Wimbles

Visit site
Mrs M - Thought I'd share some pics of us last year out with the hunts to get you in the mood (just don't tell a certain gent I put pics of him up on here)

Recognise the field?
File0090.jpg

Poshed up at Chatsworth
DSC010271.jpg

Locko Park
n668395041_2442889_4292edit.jpg

n668395041_2442897_7469edit.jpg

Hazelwood with the Burne
030.jpg

Locko with the Burne
Picture099-1.jpg

Another familiar face for you
n668395041_931905_99.jpg

File0077.jpg

File0060.jpg

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lol, ta Wimbs - promise not to tell
grin.gif
. Which field is it?
Very smarty pants you
grin.gif
. I'm all for bezzing round fields (I think lol - after yesterday you might have to hold me up
cool.gif
).

I'll try and get some piccies at the weekend
cool.gif