taking ex racer out to competition for first time, any tips?

CM.

Visit site
I have grown up around ex racers and competed, all been ok. But for a very laid back person, I am a little apprehensive taking my new ex racer out to a competition environment.

She has potential to be nappy, first day she tried when schooling but no trouble came and took less than a minute to get out her system. First time hacking alone we did a lot of reversing, but once down the road, 5 mins later the reversing stopped and been fine since minus stopping, questioning but then deciding not to take it any further.

It has been going really well, but on the ground if she wants a 'moment'... she HAS to have one and the more patient I am/ignore it, the faster she gets over it. She has little manners when she goes, so it is hard to get her back down onto planet earth.

For a lazy horse though, I took her to a clinic a few weeks ago at a school we hack to and usually use with no probs... But 2 horses coming in from the field, waiting for another horse to finish a clinic, and getting in to warm up with a man teaching in there... She was jogging which is not like her. I read the signals and rode calmly as I click quite well with her, but for whatever reason, when the 2 horses got level with her, she did a small rear and then went straight up. Luckily I remained calm... So I pulled her to the side and kept turning small circles changing direction so she was too off balance to do it again...

She then went on to have a great, lazy donkey mode of a lesson like she usually does.

Since then and riding at home in the field, she has been fine. Her saddle has been checked and reflocked, back and teeth also done and vet has seen her.

She lives out 24/7 with another horse so they both get a little mad when taken away from each other. I noticed seller never travelled her alone and she has never been in a trailer.

I just want tips on travelling and keeping her calm, along with how to approach things at a comp? I am concerned she may have a mad moment with horses coming and leaving the warm up, and with her having to go into a new ring for a dressage test. Also not sure how she will be with riding around others... But guessing as she has raced it will be fine, just more of an issue with others leaving.

Booboos

Visit site
There are a few things you could consider doing. Firstly get her used to travelling in a trailer and travelling alone if that is how you intend to take her to a competition. Then spend more time taking her to lessons where you have greater control over what happens and you can take your time without feeling under pressure to do a test. When she is ready for a test ask for the first time of the day so that there are fewer horses around in the warm-up etc, most show centres will try to be accommodating. Perhaps lunge her before you go, she may be overtired, but best to keep her calm than let excess energy spoil her first attempts away from home. Might also be worth trying a calmer, I find Cool Calm and Collected works wonders with one of mine.

Good luck!

Wimbles

Visit site
In my experience don't plan to do anything! Get her there have a walk round, either in hand or ridden, take her out the way a bit if you can and make her work, get her concentrating. Don't make her stay too long.

I often find it's the tannoy that winds them up most, the last time the probably heard one was at the races.

It may be that she will be perfectly fine but don't put too much pressure on yourselves to compete. Get her used to going first.

Good luck and enjoy showing her off, whatever happens xx