Taking feathers off the easy way.. recommendations

Chumsmum

Visit site
Hi

I want to give my horses a tidy up including taking their feathers off - however, it will take me literally forever to use a comb and scissors on Chumley as he looks like a miniature Shire horse but the blade on my current clippers (Moser Artiko) will take them off too short I think?

I've just enquired about a 7mm or 9mm blade (am guessing this length would look more natural?) but they are the best part of £50!

A friend has suggested getting some men's hair clippers from Boots that have adjustable length settings - anyone tried this or have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any replies :)

Brandy

Visit site
I always just clipped my cobs legs with the same blade I used for the rest of him. I wouldn't imagine mens hair clippers will go through the hair if they are very hairy.

Enfys

Visit site
I always just clipped my cobs legs with the same blade I used for the rest of him. I wouldn't imagine mens hair clippers will go through the hair if they are very hairy.

I have used both, the hair clippers are cheaper but take an awful lot longer.
You have to go downwards and do it layer by layer as it were, if you use them it would be easier to get a lot of the length off with scissors first. Ordinary horse clippers are certainly less hassle.:)

Chumsmum

Visit site
It's that simple then? Doh..

Okay, will have a go at them this weekend, we are not going anywhere in the near future so enough time to grow a bit if I cock it up..

Thanks very much for replies - you have saved me money :)

JenHunt

Visit site
i just use my ordinary clippers. and with a bit of care I clip upwards to the knee and just turn them away from the skin to kind of graduate the coat back out so there's no hard line where I stopped. But then Ron isn't mega hairy anyway, but his feathers do start above his knees in the winter.

I think they take about a week to settle after being clipped before they look normal.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just some advice for what its worth; if you're gonna go to a show or anywhere public, leave at least a fortnight between the "clip"/trim or whatever, so then if you f***k it up mega-bigtime, then at least you've got some time for it to grow out and look a bit more normal.

I remember once I trimmed my old boy's fetlocks and honestly it looked like he was ready for an RSPCA publicity shoot; the clippers gave up and died on one side and he looked awful, his (very long) coat was hanging off and he looked like I'd just condemned him to the knackers.

My farrier in his wisdom says that the difference between a bad clip and a good clip is about a fortnight.

So good luck with trimming your hairy friend, it'll feel better when its done, honest.