Taking on a horse with arthritis?

halona

Visit site
Hi guys,

I've had a loan horse since earlier this year which has just been diagnosed with arthritis (stifle - some of you may have seen an earlier thread about this) - my plan was to give notice and hand the horse back, however, I dont feel I can do this for many reasons ....and am actually considering asking for the horse so I can continue with treatment and will have a home for life until the meadow in the sky.

My question - am I crazy?! I've spoken to the vet who has reassured me about managing the whole situation so I don't feel overwhelmed about taking it on.
Have any of you guys taken on a horse with arthritis? how did it go? what are your experiences?

Theocat

Visit site
If your reason for giving it a go is because you do not think you can cope without this horse in your life, then maybe. If it's even partly because it feels like an easier option than dealing with the owner, or guilt about its possible future - absolutely not.

Some horses get arthritis in one place, get it treated and can be managed, and it's all very straightforward. On the other hand, it could start springing up all over the place - I am on my fifth lot of arthritis-incurred walking-in-straight-lines in less than a year and i can tell you that when it feels like it's never ending, and you have to do it to keep the horse moving, and there's no money left so every vet bill is a struggle, and it's cold and dark and the horse is still lame - you have to be a saint to risk taking that on.

Cue a dozen stories from people who took on an arthritic horse and never looked back :p

Auslander

Visit site
I did, and haven't regretted a moment, as I adore him. He's expensive to maintain, and I worry/retire him in my head every time he takes a dodgy step, but I don't begrudge him a thing. I took him on knowing full well that he may not have much ridden work left in him, but he's still going strong(ish) 6 years later.
The question I asked myself then was "If he couldn't be ridden, would I still be happy to have him in my field". The answer was Yes, and still is.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Stifle arthritis is a devil to deal ,with my dear friend Fatty unfortunately fallen foul of this I think it's going to do for him .
I have spent a sack full of money but I am not winning .

halona

Visit site
If your reason for giving it a go is because you do not think you can cope without this horse in your life, then maybe. If it's even partly because it feels like an easier option than dealing with the owner, or guilt about its possible future - absolutely not.

Some horses get arthritis in one place, get it treated and can be managed, and it's all very straightforward. On the other hand, it could start springing up all over the place - I am on my fifth lot of arthritis-incurred walking-in-straight-lines in less than a year and i can tell you that when it feels like it's never ending, and you have to do it to keep the horse moving, and there's no money left so every vet bill is a struggle, and it's cold and dark and the horse is still lame - you have to be a saint to risk taking that on.

Cue a dozen stories from people who took on an arthritic horse and never looked back :p

I adore this horse, he has given me so much in the time I've had him...just seeing his fluffy little face makes the worst day better! I couldn't think about not having him in my life.
Awww i'm sorry to hear about your horse, I hope you both get through it

halona

Visit site
Stifle arthritis is a devil to deal ,with my dear friend Fatty unfortunately fallen foul of this I think it's going to do for him .
I have spent a sack full of money but I am not winning .

i'm sorry to hear about your horse :( how old was he was he was diagnosed? what treatment have you tried?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He's only 10...so still has many years ahead of him :(

Ok, I asked because of the length of time of the commitment, even if you get this horse sound for a bit now you are looking at potentially keeping him for a long time as a field ornament if you don't PTS. Only you can know if you want to tie yourself in with that when you don't need to, for a horse that you don't have much history with.

SEL

Visit site
I have a 13 yo field ornament that I took on knowing he had problems - but the scale of the problems only really became clear 12 months down the line when we requested records from his previous vet and re-ran x-rays. He was a very lucky boy to end up with someone like me who is a soft touch and can afford his vets bills!

Luckily his main job was to be a companion so the light ridden worked got knocked on the head and now he just bumbles around. I adore him so his vet's bills, supplements, and boxes of danilon are all just part of having him in my life. But I do spend rather a lot of time worrying about him!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
A friend has a horse who she's spent literally thousands on over the years with steroid injections, tildren and fusion, remedial farriery, supplements, special boots and wraps, etc, etc the list is endless. But she bought him as a youngster, brought him on herself and he is now 21, a picture of health, does fun rides and lots of hacking and is having a fantastic life. She's had many years of fun with him, but an awful lot of heartache too. She's put in months and months of rehab work as a result of the arthritis which is in his coffin joints, neck and hocks. He's had it all treated and has a hooney around the field, walks out really well on hacks, rolls in the field, and loves a good gallop of fun rides and she's content with this- I often hack out with her and he always looks happy and keen. She'd never have considered PTS, she would always do as much as she could so long as her vet agreed and was always prepared to put in time, effort and ultimately money as she adores him. Whilst having all the treatments she used to compete dressage, ODE and SJ but as he got older it became more evident that he could no longer do the work she wanted him to do so she dropped it down to find a level he and her were both happy with. Most people would have pts years ago or retired (retirement wasn't an option - her vet strongly advised against this in fact) but she put the effort in and it was worth it to her and has ultimately given the horse many years more than he would have had.I doubt she would choose to let herself in for all that though, she had no choice with her horse, she HAD to get on with it and get it treated as she'd already bought him and then the arthritis became apparent two to three years later. My mare has steroid injections in her hocks and that is a total nightmare in terms of money and worry its not even a tenth of the money my friend shas spent over the yeas. We hacked out recently and she told me that the vet had reassessed him after his coffin joint medication (third medication in 13 years) and was delighted with his progress and said that there aren't many horses out their that looks so well and are still going strong given his breed/build. But I know darn well that she wouldn't choose to buy a horse that already had this condition knowing what she knows now and I would strongly advise you OP not to go there! It really isn't worth the money time and effort unless you have a horse whose condition becomes apparent after you have bought him.

Last edited:

LaurenBay

Visit site
I wouldn't, I have a 12YO ornament with hock arthritis. I spent thousands trying to get her right, she was a dream to ride (when the pain was managed) and had so much potential to show. It was heartbreaking to retire her but I can't do anymore for her. The vet has told me it is very likely she will develop arthritis in other areas too. She is out 24/7 at the moment and so far not on any bute, she may need a bit during winter. But if it gets to the point she struggles even on the bute I will be saying goodbye to her (which I am dreading more than anything!)

Diddleydoo

Visit site
I did, and haven't regretted a moment, as I adore him. He's expensive to maintain, and I worry/retire him in my head every time he takes a dodgy step, but I don't begrudge him a thing. I took him on knowing full well that he may not have much ridden work left in him, but he's still going strong(ish) 6 years later.
The question I asked myself then was "If he couldn't be ridden, would I still be happy to have him in my field". The answer was Yes, and still is.

I say this as a compliment not in anyway to take away from your point. I think Alf is slightly different to the average proposition. He has so much to offer that I think most people would take the risk with an opportunity like him. I know I would feel privileged with whatever good days I could have with a horse like him at whatever cost. I should confess to a little Alf crush at this point

I wouldn't, I have a 12YO ornament with hock arthritis. I spent thousands trying to get her right, she was a dream to ride (when the pain was managed) and had so much potential to show. It was heartbreaking to retire her but I can't do anymore for her. The vet has told me it is very likely she will develop arthritis in other areas too. She is out 24/7 at the moment and so far not on any bute, she may need a bit during winter. But if it gets to the point she struggles even on the bute I will be saying goodbye to her (which I am dreading more than anything!)

I've just had the arthritis finally diagnosed for my mare,only 11 yo, spent a lot to get to this point and I see more ££££ in my future. We're not at the Bute stage yet and I'll do everything I can but like you I will not see her struggle.

Good luck with whatever you decide OP, there are never easy answers with horses.

Polos Mum

Visit site
How much mileage does he have at 10 years old? I mean, has he been out doing tonnes of BS from age 4 and hence joints have had a lot of wear and tear. I'd be more happy taking one on if there was a good reason for the condition. if he's low mileage 10 years is pretty early to be getting it so I'd worry it's conformational / genetic and hence is likely to pop up elsewhere.
I have one who's had both hocks fused (didn't work and it's taken 18 months rehab to be even vaguely sensible level of soundness) he's also got problems in hips and knees and feet - he's just built badly so we never going to stand up to work. I took him on with absolute clarity that he would be PTS when the balance of pain and nice life shifted in the wrong direction for too long.
How would you feel about having to PTS in 12 months if he deteriorates and you can't keep him comfortable?

Achinghips

Visit site
As a field companion and a hack, yes, if the price were right and horse was viceless, bombproof and balanced and a good doer. Some of those are fabulous, especially if a fully established horse. For competition, even low level, no.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
I say this as a compliment not in anyway to take away from your point. I think Alf is slightly different to the average proposition. He has so much to offer that I think most people would take the risk with an opportunity like him. I know I would feel privileged with whatever good days I could have with a horse like him at whatever cost. I should confess to a little Alf crush at this point

That is very true actually. There is no way I could've afforded to buy a horse like him otherwise - even after 6 years and lots of big vet bills, I still haven't spent as much as a sounder version of him would have cost! The fact that he is also the nicest horse I've ever had is also a bonus!

Goldenstar

Visit site
i'm sorry to hear about your horse :( how old was he was he was diagnosed? what treatment have you tried?

He was 14 he's 16 now it was started off by a kick .
He's had steroid injections ,cartofen, Ospos which he reacted badly to .Danilon when he needs it he's on two a day ATM.
He recently had £1,500 worth of Arthimed which has helped but he's not 100 % sound it's not easy because rest makes him worse .
He's seeing the Physio regularly and we do passive stretching with him .
He also has soft tissue involvement .
I love Fatty but it's hard work and very dispiriting and I am not sure whats the way forward .

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm finding this all very interesting. My (approx) 14 year old has just been diagnosed with mild arthritis in his hocks. He's just had them medicated. He may have slight changes in his coffin joint in LF but hopefully isn't bad enough to need medicating. He had a hard start in life so it's not a great shock. It still seems young though!

The vet told me there's no reason why he can't go back to what he was doing before (elementary dressage, fun jumping, some hunting etc) but it's early days. We don't know how the hocks will respond to the medication etc.

I've put him onto a super duper joint supplement and fingers are strongly crossed! I couldn't say yet whether I'd do it again; I'm right at the start of this road. But I love my boy so hoping this all works out well.