Taking on a "loan" horse to sell, risk/value etc?

Michen

Visit site
Hi all,

After some advice as I've never done this before. I am thinking about taking on a 10 year old ex racer, very very pretty little 16hh grey mare who has been reschooled to a certain degree, she's competed lightly in all disciplines and hunted etc. She's very talented over a fence and has been for sale for 3k. However she's absolutely not shifting and hasn't been ridden much this summer or out and about. She was ridden by a pro last summer and he said she's a 6k horse. Her price has been dropped to £1800 and still nothing- obviously an awful time of year as well.

I'm thinking about splitting the costs of her keep with her owner and taking her on loan on my yard (she would cost roughly 270 a month to keep, so about 130/40 ish each) do hunt and do some indoor SJ and D over the winter. My plan is to get an ex racer off the track next year, I am currently working very hard saving for a house deposit so I absolutely don't want full costs of keeping a horse nor would I ever afford to buy her.

The idea would be that I get whatever she sells over 1800 in the spring for, up to a maximum of 3k. Aka if she sells for over 3k her owner gets the difference. This would pretty much cover my costs of keeping her and taking her out, and I'd get the pleasure of having a horse over winter (which I am truly missing) without all the cost and with a chance of even getting my money back.

What do you guys think, is this a fair sort of deal? Realistically is a good all rounder ex racer mare going to even be worth 2500 (that would be what I'd realistically hope we get) if she's hunter and popping round 1m showjumping? If I have her long enough I'd hope to get her through a be80/90 as well.

Lolo

Visit site
Al sold Smokes (was in training, and then went on to be a polo pony too) for pretty much triple what you're envisioning selling your mare for. He is talented, and has a great brain and attitude, but on paper he's done one season of BE90 and one 1m ODE, with no top ten placings. He sold to the first caller, and had plenty more viewings lined up. Al just didn't mention his past until they phoned because it forms a very small part of him- he's come a long way from his beginnings, and compared to what else he's achieved they aren't important.

So in short, if she's smart and has nice photos and the right market (Smokes is an ideal first horse, as he's very clever but also still very pony, but he also has the talent to take someone into u18 eventing) then selling should theoretically be easy enough!

Rosiefan

Visit site
Can't see why not. My only caveat is what happens if she doesn't sell in the spring? I guess the owner would just take her back but you need to clarify this before you agree. Good luck :)

Michen

Visit site
She's hunted but only a couple of times and not over fences, so she can't really be called a good hunter

Michen

Visit site
Can't see why not. My only caveat is what happens if she doesn't sell in the spring? I guess the owner would just take her back but you need to clarify this before you agree. Good luck :)

That had just been a thought of mine! Thanks :)

sportsmansB

Visit site
Maybe you should do a deal about what you get if she sells for over the £3k... it will be your work which will have taken her there, and they will have saved a winter's keep (since she isn't selling now!)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think you should get everything extra over £1800 since thats what shes for sale for now therefore it'll only be your work which will make her worth more. I dont see personally how a horse could be a £6k horse with "certain degree" of schooling and being 10yrs old. I think £3k is more likely once you've put the work in.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Al sold Smokes (was in training, and then went on to be a polo pony too) for pretty much triple what you're envisioning selling your mare for. He is talented, and has a great brain and attitude, but on paper he's done one season of BE90 and one 1m ODE, with no top ten placings. He sold to the first caller, and had plenty more viewings lined up. Al just didn't mention his past until they phoned because it forms a very small part of him- he's come a long way from his beginnings, and compared to what else he's achieved they aren't important.

So in short, if she's smart and has nice photos and the right market (Smokes is an ideal first horse, as he's very clever but also still very pony, but he also has the talent to take someone into u18 eventing) then selling should theoretically be easy enough!

I didn't realise she'd sold him. I'm sure she had her reasons, but what a shame, I was enjoying watching his progress.v I don't suppose his new owners are posters on here like his last ones were, so we get a hat trick of owners!

Lolo

Visit site
Sadly not, although Al says he couldn't have hoped for a nicer or more perfect home- they are going to have such fun together. Al was offered the truly amazing opportunity to be travelling head girl for the yard she moved to. Which means she could be away for huge chunks of the season- currently she's at the young horse champs in France!- and it is so unfair on him to be picked up and put down like that. She's very sad to see him go because she adored him, and he'll be very missed. But this is an opportunity of a lifetime for someone her age and experience, with a pro who has always been her idol.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Sounds like a good reason. I know someone who did similar, grooming for top eventers, including the London Olympics, and she sold her own horse for similar reasons. It was the best thing she could have done.