Taking on a rescue

Nicki85

Visit site
Well tomorrow I will be going to see a 3yo male lab x sharpei at Battersea Dogs Home Old Windsor. I've never had a rescue before or been to a rescue centre!

They recommended this dog to us as we already have a 14yo Springer, cat, rabbits, chickens and I share a horse down the yard. Apparently he is a very amenable chap and loves everyone and has shown no reaction with cats (he has been cat tested... what is that?!) etc.... I had initially wanted something for agility but they seem to think that he would be up for learning agility as well- although i've never seen a Shar pei doing agility!

He was apparently rehomed as his owners hours changed and he was being left 6-6 and barking. I've explained that he will be on his own three days a week 8-5 at ours (with dog walker at lunch time) but they think he will be OK as he takes alot of comfort from having another dog.

Any thoughts/ advice on this cross breed? I've known a fair few labs in my time but not really sure of sharpeis- I thought they were a bit stand-off and agressive with strangers.

Also, any advice on taking on a rescue and how to integrate him with Tess (springer)? She is in good health but will not want to be jumped on as she is going to be 15 this year! I expect she will sniff him and then get bored and wander off...

It's all very nerve-wracking!!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
The dogs trust made us take our current dogs in to meet them loose in neutral territory before we brought any home, dogs can be a bit funny on the lead sometimes, so can be best to be loose.

They sound very understandable, the dogs trust seem unable to comprehend leaving a dog for longer than 3-4 hours - how to they think people with jobs cope, not everyone is rich enough to be able to afford £10 a day on a dog walker.

Nicki85

Visit site
Yes, Tess will get final say! We have to take her up to meet him before we are allowed to take him home. Unfortunately he has kennel cough quite badly at the moment so I will have to get Tess inoculated (then wait the week before it takes effect) before they can meet.

Tess has non-existant recall now as she is deaf but I'm happy to let her off in an enclosed space/ or open space with no roads/ ditches/ rivers. She responds to hand gestures but has to be looking at you first! Agree though that they would probably be best to meet off lead...

They seemed to have no problem with him being left for that amount of time as long as there was a dog walker. Luckily i've got a friend that can do two days so hopefully just the one I will have to pay "full price" for! Tess doesn't need a dog walker but I think it's a lot too ask of a new dog, to start with at least.

s4sugar

Visit site
Please walk away from this dog.
If he has KC the vaccine may or may not cover the strain and your 15yo will be at risk even if given the (not very effective) vaccine.

It takes at least two weeks (more like four) after a cough for a dog to be non contagious and other dogs on the premises will certainly be capable of infecting your girl.

KC is not often serious in a young dog, it can be fatal to an oldie.

Last edited:

Nicki85

Visit site
Oh dear! We would never want to put Tess at risk :-( I will have a chat to Battersea and our vet and see what they think- thank you for the heads up.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I'm sure Battersea are fully aware of the implications of Kennel Cough. You do NOT need to walk away from this dog. If no complications, it will run its course and will pose no threat to your elderly bitch.:) Then, the introductions can me made. If your girl isn't dominant and the shar pei is male and even tempered, I can't imagine there will be any problems when you introduce them.:)

Nicki85

Visit site
Thanks Blazing saddles thats reassuring I will still check with my vet just incase. Tess is not dominant in the slightest lol. She has shown some aggression if a dog jumps on her or is a bit over enthusiastic when greeting but can't blame her for that! Hopefully he will be the chilled meet and greet type :)