Taking photos at horse shows query

greenroof

Visit site
Does anyone know if it is okay to take photos of all the exhibits in a class for personal and private use?
I am asking because I have seen a Facebook thread where someone had obviously become irate because a member of the public with a good camera was taking photos. I wondered if there are any laws or rules. I tend to take photos of my ponies with a small digital camera, and will often take a photo of the final line up.
I tend to be of the opinion that if you don't want people to take photos of your horse at a show, then leave it at home.

teapot

Visit site
Taking photos of every competitor in every class as a member of the public would annoy the official photographer that's for sure!

As a member of the public on private land (which most events are held on), are you entitled to take photos as long as they are for personal use only, and by that I don't mean tagging people in them on facebook or offering them up to competitors, whether free or at a price.

greenroof

Visit site
I am absolutely certain it would annoy the official photographer and rightly so. I think the issue here was more that the photographer was using a high class camera to take photos of her family and friends. I just wondered what the rules were.

Visit site
Some equestrian centres have a strict no camera/picture taking policy whilst horses are in the rings competing as they have a designated official photographer and anyone found ignoring this rule will be given a warning and any further rule breaches leads them to be banned from the venue.

Some people don't like strangers taking pictures of their kids. They accept the official photographer but not randoms.

greenroof

Visit site
Some equestrian centres have a strict no camera/picture taking policy whilst horses are in the rings competing as they have a designated official photographer and anyone found ignoring this rule will be given a warning and any further rule breaches leads them to be banned from the venue.

Some people don't like strangers taking pictures of their kids. They accept the official photographer but not randoms.

Gosh, I've been showing for 50 years and have never come across a no photos policy.

Mule

Visit site
I know an amateur photographer who took fantastic xc photos but hers were so good the official photographers had enough as everyone wanted to buy from her instead. But unless your selling yours I don't the official photographer will care.

I do know of a mother who lost it when someone working at a riding school that had held a show took a photo of kids at a rosette prize giving. I don't know exactly what these parents think is going to happen:rolleyes3:

teapot

Visit site
I am absolutely certain it would annoy the official photographer and rightly so. I think the issue here was more that the photographer was using a high class camera to take photos of her family and friends. I just wondered what the rules were.

No official rules regarding kit. Occasionally a show will limit lens length like Windsor or Olympia does. Re kids - tread very carefully.

Last edited: