Taking young horse having alone

Mary jones

Visit site
Hi, I have a 5 year old mare that I’ve had a lot of trouble with recently however at the moment she’s at training. This summer I would like to take her hacking but at the stables we are at it is very hard to find someone to go with. I have been hacking many times alone with other horses but she has never been out by herself. We have only been hacking once at the current yard.
Any tips for our first time out??

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Take someone on a pedal bike or on foot.

If there is an issue they can command the road for you and keep you safe.

I would also do it on a calm, warm day and after work.

I was in the same situation last year with my young mare, and I took to hacking before 6am, as in getting home for around that time. Roads were empty!

Mary jones

Visit site
Take someone on a pedal bike or on foot.

If there is an issue they can command the road for you and keep you safe.

I would also do it on a calm, warm day and after work.

I was in the same situation last year with my young mare, and I took to hacking before 6am, as in getting home for around that time. Roads were empty!
Thank you, I’ll have to try with someone on a bike, how was your horse when you took her out? I’m scared mine will be super naughty

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well don't think that she will be naughty - self fulling. If you are nervous why would she trust you? Give yourself some Rescue Remedy/Gin and set out determined that she will be good and she is going to rely on you to tell her what to do (and take someone on a bicycle if you need).

Set yourself up to succeed, don't take her out if she is hungry or it is near to a feed time, nor if the weather is windy or mass flies or anything like that. But you are the leader/teacher.

tristar

Visit site
i have done this this with lots of horses, we always walk youngsters in hand out on the roads with two people so we know they are accustomed to tractors and others hazards, and pick the right moment to hack out alone, know when it is likely to be quiet, not in cool windy day and would lunge, ride in the school etc before to best judge the mood of the horse and initially only go out a short hack and build on that gradually

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I would lead her out in hand, all tacked up, and get her used to going out with you as Herd Leader to protect her. This is what I had to do (professional advice) with my old boy when we got him going out solo hacking for the first time.

If you can, always do a circular route; going out and back just invites a horse to be nappy IME. When it seems right one day, after you've gone out a few times, then you lead her out part-way, and then just hop on and ride her home.

Make it relaxed and easy is the thing. You'll be hacking solo in no time! And of course if something really really scarey is out there, you can always just slip off and walk her gently past - no point in having a big scene with a young horse if its easier to walk them past!

Also, at home in the school, you could build perhaps a little obstacle course using some of the stuff you'd find at a Le TREC event: this will build her confidence and help her to see scary stuff and deal with it in a "safe" environment like a school. You could put up stuff like balloons, plastic bags in the breeze! plus an old rug or piece of carpet for her to walk over. But not too much all at once to start with! Do it gradually. Less is more. 10 mins a day better than an hour once a week. When she's ready, if there's someone with a motorbike or quad around your yard, get them to drive it around when you're doing stuff in the school, don't stop to let her gawp at it too much, just keep her focussed and concentrating on you.

Good luck. You WILL get there. All youngsters progress differently: mine was able to hack out happily on her own as a 4yo, others may take a while to get used to be out on their own.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thank you, I’ll have to try with someone on a bike, how was your horse when you took her out? I’m scared mine will be super naughty

Great advice above. I hack all my youngsters alone because of where I live. If you have a day when you are feeling like this, and we all do, don't hack that day, school. The number one thing with a baby is to feel confident yourself. These days, for me, that includes slipping on my air jacket every time, it increases my confidence.

I also wear an L plate on my chest and back. Drivers understand them, it makes them smile, and there's nothing like it for slowing vehicles down. You might be told it will invalidate your insurance. That's not true.

Mary jones

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your advice, I’m already feeling more confident. I’ll try out all these tips!