Taking your own horse's shoes off in emergencies - who does it?

frostyfingers

Visit site
My horse semi pulled a shoe off on Saturday, it was a bit loose but in the right position so I sent a text to the farrier and asked him to come either Sun (which is one of his work days) or Mon to take it off and refit. When I went out to check the horse later in the afternoon it was completely loose and he'd managed to tread on the toe clip, he was on 3 legs and very sore. I called the farrier but couldn't get hold of him so called the vet instead. He was on an emergency and came 1.5 hours later, during which time my horse was becoming increasingly uncomfortable, ratty and fidgety. I was holding him in the field and had a pile of hay for him but it was getting tricky to keep him from standing on it and making it worse, he was kicking out and being generally (but understandably) grouchy. The vet took the shoe off, poked around and we've poulticed the foot for a few days to bring out any bruising - nothing so far thank goodness.

I have previously considered getting myself the equipment to take a shoe off in an emergency like this but discounted it as I would be worried about doing more harm than good. How many people do take shoes off themselves and did you get guidance from the farrier on how to do it? I have no desire to replace either farrier or vet, but on this occasion it would have saved the horse discomfort and possibly further damage.

What's the "etiquette" with your farrier on this sort of thing?

be positive

Visit site
You really need to learn how to take one off, if it came away out on a hack you can hardly wait until a farrier turns up or call a vet on an emergency but if left it may become one as you have discovered, it can cause real damage.
Get the tools and ask your farrier to show you how to use them, it is not that hard to do once the shoe has become loose enough to require removing, even if you break a little wall off it is better than risking a serious injury caused by a nail going into the foot.

Capriole

Visit site
I think anyone with a shod horse should be able to remove a shoe in an emergency, and have access to tools to do so. I learnt this many years ago when a horse I was riding semi pulled a shoe and the toe clip dug into the sole. After that I learned how to remove a shoe myself.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Yes, you're right! I'm not sure how I got to this stage without knowing really, I've never had anything as prone to losing them as this one so it's not been as pressing a need. When the farrier comes to refit, I'll get him to give me a lesson. I've taken stray nails out before and pulled really loose ones off, but not one like this which was fixed one side but not the other.

Nari

Visit site
In that situation I would & have taken a shoe off, and not just off my own. I'd probably have tried taping up the foot & bringing the horse in while the shoe was just loose though, if at all possible I do prefer to leave shoe removal to my farrier (horses I do hope you're listening, diy jobs are NOT appreciated!).