Talented but very temperamental grumpy mare

Peewit2002

New User
Visit site
My daughter has a 13.3hh new forest mare who is 10 years old we bought her over a year ago from within our pony club where she had been very successful with the previous child. She came on Regumate which we carried on with, she was very bargy and rude on the ground when we first had her but with some horsemanship skills she is now a lot better. She has always been very grumpy not when being tackled up or any specific time, just in general. She has also got increasingly nappy over time and this is now a really problem.
She is not one you can get cross with she just gets crosser! I have tried every trick in the book with the napping but nothing works.
Last month I asked the vet to scan her to see if the Regumate was stopping her ovulating as she was so grumpy, he said she was still ovulating so I thought I may as well stop the Regumate.
I really want to keep this mare as I know how talented she is, she jumps really well when you ve got her away from the others!
I’ve just put her on Oestress but I’m not holding out any hopes of it doing anything.
If anyone has any suggestions I’d love to hear them!

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Regumate regulated mine initially, only used for one winter.
Then moved to Devils Claw. Will be the third year for it, but I stop over winter.

honetpot

Visit site
You do not mention what work she is doing.
I had a NF chestnut mare, a lovely pony and basically a very easy going pony, that my daughter rode a PC rallies from the age of eight. She was very intelligent, talented but if you did the same too much, you could see the grump face coming, and got the bum in the stable.
You do not mention what she is napping for, is it a down tools, I've had enough nap. We once did a shoot for a magazine and our mare although the fence was low got thoroughly p..ed off with going over the same fence, and with a less experienced child would refuse if she was feeling that way out.
Before you start buying things just think what you do with her and for how long. Ponies are smart, and the best way to keep them sweet I have found is to keep everything short and sweet, at rallies our didn't need half an hour to warm up, not like the horses although she could jump the same height. Never do the same thing two days in a row, unless its a hack over a different route. From Christmas ours would have 3 months off and pick up in March when the nights draw out so she was ready for rallies at Easter.
Never confuse talent with work ethic in ponies, they only work they want is the walk somewhere to eat.

Shay

Visit site
Is this she same mare you posted about before? Did vet checks show anything? Honeypot is quite right about managing pony's workload, making sure she is not going sour etc. The grumps are less of an issue but napping is going to damage your daughter's confidence. What does your instructor say?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Horses often get upset when they move, and that frequently means bargy on the ground initially. Sadly, I think it also causes ulcers. I would have her scoped to check this out.

If you think it is hormone related you can use a mare marble. It often stops them having seasons.

Other than that I would check the saddle again. Make sure she is not fed too much, cut right back to hay for a while to see what happens (unless she is wildly underweight). Then I would turn out as much as possible, cut back work on the school and go out hacking to try to get her joy back. Preferably in company.

Peewit2002

New User
Visit site
Is this she same mare you posted about before? Did vet checks show anything? Honeypot is quite right about managing pony's workload, making sure she is not going sour etc. The grumps are less of an issue but napping is going to damage your daughter's confidence. What does your instructor say?
Hi thanks for your reply it’s not the same mare, I should have learnt and bought a gelding! our vet hasn’t checked for ulcers and hasn’t suggested it as she’s fine to girth up and touch around the flank. Our instructor has suggested all the usuals for napping eg keep her turning in a circle, back her up but doesn’t work with her she ll just plant and if you ask her to move forwards she reverses. She’s not anxious just stubborn when we first got her we got cross with her when she did this and that made her worse.

be positive

Visit site
Hi thanks for your reply it’s not the same mare, I should have learnt and bought a gelding! our vet hasn’t checked for ulcers and hasn’t suggested it as she’s fine to girth up and touch around the flank. Our instructor has suggested all the usuals for napping eg keep her turning in a circle, back her up but doesn’t work with her she ll just plant and if you ask her to move forwards she reverses. She’s not anxious just stubborn when we first got her we got cross with her when she did this and that made her worse.

I don't think many horses are just stubborn for no reason, they will have one even if the rider cannot see or feel it, anxiety shows in many different ways and if she got worse when you got cross then it sounds as if she is easily upset and anxious rather than stubborn for the sake of it, any that I have dealt with that were just trying it on soon went forward once they knew you really meant it, the ones that don't tend to have a good reason even if it takes a while to find it.

NF ponies do have PSSM in their genetics so that is worth considering, it can show as reluctance to go forward without fully tying up and would be worse if you get cross, napping may be the only sign that it is uncomfortable to go forward but jumping could be something she really loves so the adrenaline keeps her performing once she gets started.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Have you kept a diary as to what and when things happen?
Have you spoken to the previous owner? The fact she came on regumate suggests she has a significant problem which you've taken on.
Has the vet suggested alternatives when you asked?

Though you say always been grumpy in general, which suggests low level pain, discomfort or confusion of sorts to me. Mine only changes into a 'dragon' at certain times of the month.

Peewit2002

New User
Visit site
We bought her from a family in our pony club so have known her for a couple of years before she came to us. The girl before was very successful with her the reason they put her on Regumate was because when she was 9 she got quite full of herself and it took the edge off her. I know this is correct as we have the same vet. The vet has said there are several other options such as marble ( he said it’s not very successful) hormone injection they give to pigs or removing ovaries ( drastic measure).
I have her back, teeth and saddle checked regularly.