Talk to me about bitless bridles...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Little cob is the sweetest soul in the world, easy in every way but very fussy in his mouth. This is the guy I have discussed in previous threads about his lameness and WLD issues. I'm wondering if the fussiness has been down to foot pain ( he was only ridden briefly a couple of months ago)...his teeth etc have been done/checked. He had been ridden in a mullen mouth bit.
Anyways....my friend is thinking that a bitless might be nicer for him but I'm not really sure about the types to go for...he doesn't need anything harsh as he's a happy plod.
Can anyone give advice please..??

maya2008

Visit site
I have one who prefers bitless - she has PSSM and has enough going on in her life - she prefers treeless and bitless and who am I to argue when she looks after my daughter like she is made of glass? We have a Dr Cook copy. Pony is calm and happy in it, indulgently responding to the gentlest of tugs given by her tiny rider. They hack out at all paces with no issues.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If you can borrow a couple of different types before buying that would be helpful.

A side pull is the mildest, then you get cross under types like the Dr Cooks. There are also several types of hackamore and ones with shorter shanks and lots of padding will be more gentle than ones with long shanks and thin nose/chin bands. Of course as with all bits and bitless, the hands on the reins make a difference.

My gelding likes his little S hackamore (made by Zilco).

paddy555

Visit site
I use an English hackamore. You could give it a go by just putting a pair of reins onto a headcollar. ( in a safe area to start with) that will give you some idea as to how he likes not having a bit and how he is going to react.. If he is happier ride out somewhere safe to see what happens. (obviously under control or with a helper before anyone screams "insurance" on the road) .

soloequestrian

Visit site
I think it's very individual to the horse - I have one who intuitively 'got' the English hackamore but hated a sidepull or Scrawbrig, another who loves the sidepull, another who just doesn't seem to understand bitless at all!

Winters100

Visit site
If he is calm why not just ride him in a headcollar? I do it with mine all the time, one can be a bit hard to stop without a bit, so I don't use it if I want to go beyond a steady canter, but the others are very happy.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Thanks all, he is fine ridden in a headcollar but for insurance purposes I think it would be better to have a proper bridle out on the road.
It's just so confusing as to what is the gentlest (I appreciate the hands on the reins is a big contributing factor too)...some websites say the cross under types are gentler and others say side pull? He needs very little pressure to do as asked.

McGrools

Visit site
I have a Dr Cooks bitless and just started jumping with my 5 year old in it as she is very sensitive in the mouth and i dont want to catch her. She loves it. Is more forward and i feel i have great steering and brakes. I have used it for other horses in different situations and it feels no different control wise to a normal bridle. Great addition to the tackroom.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have a very sensitive horse and wasn't sure if he'd like the "face hug" of a cross under. I thought about a hackamore, but I figured I would start with a sidepull as it seemed straight forward and mild.

I have the Kieffer Ultra Soft Kendra side pull and it's lovely. Looks like a plain leather bridle, just sans bit. I use it for hacking and some schooling.