Talk to me about calmers

chaps89

Visit site
For a pony who is, understandably, upset by 2 yard moves in quick succession and quite unsettled. I'd like to try and help him and didn't know if some sort of calmer might be an idea but it's new territory to me so please educate me! He doesn't usually have a feed so something palatable to go in a plain chaff or to be eaten on it's own would be good.

mini_b

Visit site
james hart v calm valerian is a good one - it does have quite a strong taste/smell so might have to be quite smart about disguising it.
i think mine is quite fussy however...

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I swear by james hart v calm and I think it'll be ideal in a situation like yours. It worked really well on my thoroughbred, just took the edge off. I used it for loading, travel and when we moved yards.
It's not competition legal though.

chaps89

Visit site
He's 21 and 12hh and about 12 hands wide, safe to say we don't need to worry about competition legal, lol. I will have a look at that given both of you have suggested it, thanks.

I don't know if vet will prescribe sedalin without seeing him first? They've never seen him for anything before and whilst vet is coming for vaccs in 2 weeks I don't want to leave him that long really.
He's worst when madam comes out of sight, despite best efforts for them not to pair bond and other company. It's been unavoidable but I feel sorry for the poor chap.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
He's 21 and 12hh and about 12 hands wide, safe to say we don't need to worry about competition legal, lol. I will have a look at that given both of you have suggested it, thanks.

I don't know if vet will prescribe sedalin without seeing him first? They've never seen him for anything before and whilst vet is coming for vaccs in 2 weeks I don't want to leave him that long really.
He's worst when madam comes out of sight, despite best efforts for them not to pair bond and other company. It's been unavoidable but I feel sorry for the poor chap.
Worth phoning your vet to ask x

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Infact I can do one better. I have 3/4 of a bottle, in date and have since sold the horse. If youd like it, just pm me your address and you can have it ? I wont be able to get to the post office till Tuesday but would rather it used than wasted and I cant imagine using it on the other two they're super chilled!