Talk to me about connemaras...

kandm

Visit site
The good, the bad and the ugly. Everything there is to know :).

I am thinking about possibly buying another horse coming into the autumn and I have always liked the look of an over sized Connie (I'm 5ft8 so would need something 15hh +). All the connies I've known have all appeared to be fun loving all rounders. However, it could just be the ones I know of. Obviously when looking I wouldn't just stick to looking at connemaras, as another breed/mixed breed could fit the bill just as nicely.

But please, your experiences with connemaras would be very much appreciated! Pictures welcome ;).

TIA :)

Pc2003

Visit site
I have a nearly full bred one. Has some tb mixed in. He is 15.1.
I have had him 6 years now. He is fun, very forward and super intelligent and very athletic . He is also very cheeky. He is genuinely safe but he would have you on if you didn't have your wits about you. He does require a confident rider.
He is incredible with traffic, clipping, feet and loading etc. All the basics!!
I think they are very attractive too. I would def get another.

CMcC

Visit site
All good, nothing bad and Connies are never ugly.
But maybe I am just biased!
The only downside I can see is as they are so great they tend to be quite sought after and can be quite expensive.

LouisCat

Visit site
I have a dun connemara. We've had him 9 and a half years. He's 15hh and really takes up your leg. I look the same size on him as I do our 16.2 tb.

He can jump the moon. He can shift (with persuasion) but he is a bit quirky and will rear in certain situations but that could be him rather than the breed. He's also a very very good doer. This has its pros and cons!

If I could close him I would and would happily have another. I think he might be the love of my life!!

be positive

Visit site
go for a New Forest, half the price and every bit as versatile

I would agree but there are very few overheight ones as fortunately breed standards are being upheld by breeders, although a few may slip through they will not be registered as pure bred.

Mari

Visit site
I have a dun mare. She is a very good doer! Eating is her hobby. Have to watch her weight like a hawk. She is very sensitive but also quirky & opinionated & can put in a hefty Buck. Not for the faint hearted, she needs a confident rider. Having said all that she is stunning, a real good looker & very talented.

oldie48

Visit site
We have had a full connie and a connie cross TB. Both were lovely, great temperaments, loads of talent and very attractive. We bought them as 5 year olds and my daughter brought them on, with help, when she was quite young. The connie /tb did FEI eventing trials. I absolutely loved them both, they were hardy and easy with great feet and a wonderful attitude to life but both quite sparky and forward going.

Suzie86

Visit site
I have one - he's 25 and I've had him for 15 years. He's never been lame in all that time (touch wood!!!) and still going strong - loves XC and fast hacks,

His only downside is his sweet itch - not sure if this is common with the breed or not. He has no quirks, he's just easy, fun and cheeky. I will get another when he goes that's for certain!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I should also add (because I'm feeling pedantic :p) that the Dun gene does not occur in the purebred Connie population. They have the Cream gene (you know, the gene that causes Palomino, Cremello etc...), so the 'Duns' aren't Dun at all, but are actually Buckskin.

LouisCat

Visit site
IMG-20150608-WA0000_zps5lq6e3ce.jpg
[/URL]

PorkChop

Visit site
We have a 15.3hh Connie X, classic dapple grey.

We adore her, as laid back as they come (we have tried to whizz her up to no avail :) )

My daughter runs and vaults on her, she just stands there, you can sit on her when she is lying down and she will get up with you on her, too cute :)

Jumps up to 1m, probably too lazy to go higher, and is ruled by her tummy!

Michen

Visit site
Mine is frankly amazing.

Fun, cheeky absolutely brimming with character. Completely safe most of the time, loves to jump, loves life. Handsome with his big head!

I don't think I'd ever get anything else now I've had a connie.

Puzzled

Visit site
I go to Ireland and import several a year. I love them! Nearly all have a great attitude to life and are real triers! It is possible to buy a larger overweight one...not easy to come by though. I have a 15.2hh 5 yrs aiming to do his first BE event in September if he's not sold....Will happily email you pics of various connies I've sold over the years to give you an idea if you pm me your email address.

Roisiny

Visit site
I adore them, I think overall they're wonderful, easy-going, alrounder ponies.
However, we got one on loan from a friend, without knowing much about him other than he'd pop round a 90 track. He's actually going back, as he is ridiculously strong and wants to go a million miles an hour, with the most dreadful feet (farrier wants to do blood tests as he thinks its Hoof Wall Separation) and shoes don't last a week on him. He is however a lovely character, though I don't think I've ever met a bad natured Connie.
I also have a pony ISH (Captain Clover x Ginger Dick dam) who has it all, looks, personality, scope, bravery - and everyone presumes he's a connie because of all of that! :)

Feival

Visit site
Well Buzz is Mr perfect, 15hh, is now 24yo and I've had him 11 years, he is a seal brown buckskin roan and can turn his hoof to anything, he jumps, hunts, hacks, shows, goes cross country and is an awesome lead rein pony. Has slight dust allergies but never had a day I've been sorry to have him.

VioletStripe

Visit site
I have one standing at just under 15.2hh, now 9yo. I had him from a 4yo and he is honestly the easiest horse I have ever come across! Shoes, clips, loads etc with no problem, takes everything in his stride.
Only been lame once due to an over-tight shoe causing an abscess, other than that he's never been lame or sick (touch wood!)
He has correct paces, but nothing flashy, and can jump anything you put in front of him. Bags of character and a lovely nature, but if he gets overly excited can toss you about like a rag doll... So not a novice ride.
Also a great doer - so that's a mixed blessing. He's also white - which is definitely a con in terms of grooming. I long for the days he was a dark dappled 4yo :rolleyes:
I'd definitely get another, or at least a Connie cross. They're really fab little horses and suit me very well!

1life

Visit site
Extremely versatile - I've ridden many different ones and they can turn their hoof to anything. However, can also say the same for New Forest although personally I have found they can have a bit more whizz about them ;).

Nicest x breed I have ever known is the Connemara x Appaloosa - 15.2 ish height, good doers but not fatties, lovely paces and soooooo honest. I've known 3, all geldings btw and all super horses :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I adore them, I think overall they're wonderful, easy-going, alrounder ponies.
However, we got one on loan from a friend, without knowing much about him other than he'd pop round a 90 track. He's actually going back, as he is ridiculously strong and wants to go a million miles an hour, with the most dreadful feet (farrier wants to do blood tests as he thinks its Hoof Wall Separation) and shoes don't last a week on him.

Just wondering what the farrier thinks the point would be of blood testing a gelding for HWSS? It can't be cured, it won't change the treatment, it will just cost money. I guess that why no-one is taking him up on it :)

OP, friend has an 8 year old 15.1 pure Connie who inspired me to buy a smaller horse, he was so active and forward. He's a fantastic all rounder with paces for dressage, jumps the moon, and does 40k long distance barefoot. He is very forward going.

caitlin95uk

Visit site
I have a 13.3hh pure bred grey Connemara.
She's ace.

Pros:
Very forward going (this could probably be seen as a con in some cases but is perfect for me)
Happy to lead a hack anywhere
Has a cracking jump
Turns her hoof to anything and is a proper all rounder
Although like faracat said about hoof issues being common, she's got very sturdy feet
Has never had a days lameness (touch wood)
Is incredibly loving
Never mare-ish

Cons:
Gets too fat easily in summer but loses weight too quickly in winter
Sensitive skin - not in a pink skin kind of way (she's fully black-skinned) but more of a quite twitchy, hence being forward going. This makes her a bit difficult to clip and funny with fly spray and often itches her tail (I think it's fly related)
She's a bit of a stress head, doesn't like a change in her routine and will paw the ground/kick the door if I'm out of sight
Over summer, gets this slightly too thick summer coat and combined with the forward going and stress means she can sweat quite a bit
Is quite picky with food, so if she needs to put weight on she can be temperamental with her weight gaining food and supplements which makes life difficult

I don't know too many connemaras - I'm out in the middle of Wales so don't often see many, so I can't say if this is breed specific. Would be interesting to know if any thing shines out across the breed

Crackerz

Visit site
We have a yard full (8 at the moment incl 2 stallions and 2 foals) and they are brilliant - they are all the YO's. They are all used in breed showing so max 14.2hh. YO is 5'8 and they take up her leg brilliantly, my fave one is only 14hh and she looks perfectly fine on him, i'll try & find a photo as i am sure she won't mind him being paraded on H&H as he is often in magazines and has his own FB page :D

Plenty of pics on his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Oaklands-Satyricon-161917170518096/photos

windand rain

Visit site
Have owned one for 8 years from a tiny foal she is a diva of the first order a real princess attitude and usually a bit quirky. She is very loving and a good doer in fact she is probably the perfect pony easy to ride, jumps for fun and will hack on her own or in company and will happily stop even if the others gallop off but boy can she shift if you let her. She is very kind but probably not a first pony due to her quirks. If a stranger offers her a treat she behaves like they are trying to poison her and turn her head away. I have sold her to a young lady who adores her, quirks and all she is one special lady but I doubt I would ever buy another one

MissJessica

Visit site
Have to agree.
I am fortunate enough to have an overgrown 15hh connie but my goodness you can't ever 100% relax with him.
Love that he is a complete all rounder and will turn his hoof to anything, fun & hardy.
Dislike the he is incredibly spooky and sensitive and can be opinionated, always have to be one step ahead.

Good luck in your search for the one X

tatty_v

Visit site
Like MissJessica I also have an overgrown 15hh Connie.

Pros:
Not spooky at all - hacks alone without a care in the world
Forward going but safe
LOVES to jump and has been a great teacher for a nervous nelly like me
Enjoys his work
Exists on thin air (cheap to keep!)
Has bags of personality and is universally adored by everyone on the yard

Cons:
Needs firm and consistent handling on the ground or he will take the piss
Has separation anxiety which, combined with his enormous jump, means he will remove himself from his field over the 5 bar gate if he feels lonely
Is white and therefore requires a lot of cleaning as his natural inclination is to be filthy
Exists on thin air and therefore gets fat easily
Like another poster above, he is sensitive skinned and so does not overly enjoy being groomed and does itch the top of his tail

Although he frustrates me at times, I wouldn't swap him for the world. He's a great first horse for me - exciting and capable, but not too much horse!

Jericho

Visit site
Love them! I have 3 with connie in them - 15.1hh tb X Connie, 13.2 Welsh X connie, 14.2hh full connie - all are fabulous, can turn their hoof to anything, bold, clever, kind, honest and good healthy good doers with tough legs and feet. Never seen a bad connie!!