Talk to me about hoof boots... ?

Haz:)

Visit site
Hi,

So as its summer and I don't have a school to school in, I usually just like to hack my pony - he's 13.2hh and nearly too small for me (I'm only 5"2 but still my legs look ridiculous!) but he's coping fine and lives for his hacks, he's also got a lot of NF in him so built nice and strong.

When I first had him he was shod on his fore, but after not taking him hacking much (he was deranged and dangerous on roads) I took them off. Now he hacks a lot more I feel like he's been getting foot sore on his hinds, possibly front as well. He's been barefoot for 6 years and is otherwise comfortable. Just not on hard roads or extremely hard ground. I don't want to get his hooves shod as they are doing so well barefoot, not to mention the costs. There are also chips starting to form which is really annoying as they look much more raggedy.

So I've been looking into hoof boots - the Cavallo ones in particular. But I have many questions - like how long do they last? And also, when they do finally wear down - can you have them replace that part or do you just buy a whole new boot again?

What are your experiences? Do they fall off easily? Do they rub?

Which do you recommend ( can be Cavallo or other but I'm looking at budget friendly and long lasting) ?

I'm completely clueless. This pony in particular has round circular fronts and oval / egg shaped hinds.

Many thanks

lewis2015

Visit site
I'm definitely not an expert, but after years of owning my gelding who is shod, I bought a barefoot TB mare in May. My farrier said she doesn't need shoes, so I bought a pair of Cavallo Simples on Ebay for about 65 quid. They were very lightly used so had plenty of tread.

I can't really comment on how long they last, although would be interested to know that too!

However, I can say that I've been really pleased with them! They stand up to riding through streams/ boggy bits/ cantering/ galloping on long hacks. I just put a pair of socks underneath to prevent rubs as I've heard the pastern wraps are useless and slip down.

I've found she only really needs the fronts, but may get her some for the back feet at some point.

I believe Simple are best fit on round feet and Sports boot on oval shaped, but may be wrong!

scats

Visit site
I only use mine if my ISH loses a shoe in the field and the farrier can't get out straight away. Horse is crippled without (navicular, flat footed etc) so the cavallos offer suppor until farrier gets to me, and enables horse to still go out as normal.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Love my Equine Fusion Boots, they've never let me down yet :).

However the best thing to do is to accurately measure his feet mid trim cycle and then go on something like:
https://www.hoofbootique.co.uk/help/size-charts

Then see which boots are the closest and best fit. I struggled with mine as her feet were a terrible shape (super long and narrow, she was 2cm+ longer than wide :eek:), so ended up with the Fusions but you should have far more choice if they are nice and round.

If the boots aren't a good fit for your pony they WILL come off :eek:, which is annoying and frustrating if you have to keep getting off or even loose one!.

However my second point is, if he is suddenly becoming more footy do have a think about any other causes apart from the increase in hacking. If the increase in hacking has been gradual his feet should really grow to match. I'd want to have a think about his feeding (is he getting any increased sugar that could make him footy), or have you introduced something new?

With mine getting her Cushings levels down have been a revelation for her, as she is metabolically challenged I thought we'd never beat the sensitivity over stones but increasing her medication has made a massive improvement.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
However the best thing to do is to accurately measure his feet mid trim cycle and then go on something like:
https://www.hoofbootique.co.uk/help/size-charts

Then see which boots are the closest and best fit.

I'd second this, including recommending hoof bootique, they are great and offer lots of options (fitting shells, two week trials) to help you find the correct boot for your horse's feet. I got a pair of renegade vipers for my Welsh D at the start of the summer holiday and am so glad I did. We've done a couple of organised rides that she would not have comfortably completed (due to stony patches/ hardcore lanes) without them. They've stayed on without twisting or slipping for 3 hours of trot/ canter/ gallop/jumping through different ground, including water.

silvershadow81

Visit site
Hoof Bootique are really helpful.

lots of templates taken to ensure correct boots & fit.

Ive got Renegades, they are wonderful and ive galloped in winter down muddy tracks and they have stayed on (well all but once, but ground was very sticky)

JillA

Visit site
I'd second this, including recommending hoof bootique, they are great and offer lots of options (fitting shells, two week trials) to help you find the correct boot for your horse's feet. I got a pair of renegade vipers for my Welsh D at the start of the summer holiday and am so glad I did. We've done a couple of organised rides that she would not have comfortably completed (due to stony patches/ hardcore lanes) without them. They've stayed on without twisting or slipping for 3 hours of trot/ canter/ gallop/jumping through different ground, including water.

Carolyn at Urban Horse is also very helpful and knowledgeable. I found Cavallo Simples a bit clumpy, the Treks are better, And Woof have a new boot out which looks neat although it is marketed as a recovery boot. If you just want them for riding in it's different from turning out etc., they can be neater and not cover up to the coronet, best speak to an expert who knows them all.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
cavallos are not my favourite, they are compared to others clumpy, heavy and bring the break over too far forwards.

Best boots are those that fit well, - send some pics with a tape measure to some of our lovely hoofboot sellers, they are all nice :) most of the ones used more for performance do have replaceable bits.
My easyboot gloves have just been replaced after 4 years ;) so they haven't cost much per ride. - granted they only get occasional use these days but they are still actually functioning just have cracks up the side, the soles are still fine.

I will say it is would be curious for him to be sorer on hinds than fronts and I'd wonder if something else was going on.

LouisCat

Visit site
Just one thought, are you doing enough road work? :) When we first went barefoot we were worried D's feet were chipping and did less road work which then stopped his feet hardening. His feet go from strength to strength with the more roadwork he does. Although we don't trot for miles down the roads :)

We use Cavallo boots and they've never moved and he's worn then ditch jumping, fast rides, slow rides etc