Talk to me about Navicular

Shutterbug

Visit site
UPDATE!

I still have not gotten round to starting his proper blog, I will get round to it. So I shall just do an update here and then get down to my wobbles, which you will all hopefully help me with.

So the shoes have been off 4 weeks or thereabouts now and hes not been ridden for 6 weeks. He had his first trim on Friday, farrier barely removed anything to be fair and he really took his time which was good to see and gave me confidence hes committed to helping. I havent made an appointment with the barefoot lady yet as Im working so much overtime I cant squeeze her in but this will be done before his next trim in 8 weeks - farrier is a regular at my yard so if I think he needs seeing to sooner he shall be.

I have started walking him out in hand on 19th February - 10 mins, 5 days per week and we have now increased to 15mins, 5 days per week - we will continue with this until he is doing 30 mins of road work 5 days a week and doing so comfortably. Our roads are stone and bump free and he was managing perfectly well until a few days after his first trim. He is not lame, he is like a 90 year old man walking down the road, very slowly and very unhappily. I could cry for him. I was warned this would happen, that he would go a few weeks ok and then seem to get worse and he has. I feel like the worst horse owner on the planet. So major wobble and sticking shoes on his front feet has crossed my mind several times this week :( I have changed his feed - hes on hay now rather than haylage, and hes on alfa alfa with conditioing, speedi beat and I have added Limestone flour and a broad spectrum vitamin/iron supplement

So to pics - ready for a jaw dropper??

Front right - first image is from 19/2 - second pic is from 1st March - I kept checking the photos cause I was convinced I had accidentally taken photos of the wrong horse.

FRONTRIGHTPICS_zpsbllc9znc.jpg

Front lefts - same dates

FRONTLEFTPICS_zpszluhac0c.jpg

I have more to post that are similarly amazing in difference - that left hoof from the side looks dramatically different. I will post more when I get home from work as the systems here are slow when using Photobucket to upload images.

Im pretty gobsmacked - maybe this is normal for barefoot but I really wasnt expecting to see such a massive change in his hooves this early in the game.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I love how his hooves are getting rounder - Im very overly pleased about this fact, silly I know but I havent shut up about it today.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
He's obviously working them hard! Looks like his heels have shortened too? And ha frogs look better too. I'm like you, nothing like a nice round smooth foot! :)

Shutterbug

Visit site
Some more images

front left same dates as before

frontleftcomparison%201.3_zpsqxczga7d.jpg

front right

fron%20right%20comparison%201.3_zpszzyyzedi.jpg

Is it just me or is everyone else seeing the massive difference in the shape of his feet already?? I keep thinking I'm seeing things or being unduly surprised?

Front view of left

left%20front%20comparison_zpslj3jse24.jpg

Front right

front%20right%20front%20view%20comparison_zpsgryghmn9.jpg

As he is quite ouchy atm I am going to leave the in hand walking to let him get used to feeling his feet again - the field is nice and soft and muddy so Im hoping that will give him some relief from the harder ground and we will resume in hand walking next week

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
I am very new to the barefoot thing so my opinion isn't worth anything but I def think they look better! Do you know why from the front left the inside of the hoof wall seems to come down at a much steeper angle than the outside hoof wall? My newly barefoot horse has the same issue and farrier says it can only be corrected with shoes. Of course I don't believe this, but is it necessary that the angels match? Would the horse not grow the foot it needs?................I have read the Barefoot horse book and I confess the photos confuse me as do the comments people make. I really need someone face to face to "point and show".........

Shutterbug

Visit site
I am very new to the barefoot thing so my opinion isn't worth anything but I def think they look better! Do you know why from the front left the inside of the hoof wall seems to come down at a much steeper angle than the outside hoof wall? My newly barefoot horse has the same issue and farrier says it can only be corrected with shoes. Of course I don't believe this, but is it necessary that the angels match? Would the horse not grow the foot it needs?................I have read the Barefoot horse book and I confess the photos confuse me as do the comments people make. I really need someone face to face to "point and show".........

He has deviation in that hoof and an upright pastern which he has pretty much always had - farriers have tried to widen the hoof, its been shortened again and so on and so forth and its been left like that. I found this website very helpful in explaining what a hoof should look like

http://www.thenaturalhoof.co.uk/#!hoof-deformity/cr3g

Honestly I was the same when I took my boys back shoes off - it was pretty much a minefield of information and having been a horse owner who trusted my farrier knew what was best I never every questioned it. I do now. Just keep reading and looking at pics - you will get it. My head was swimming with it at one point but its much clearer now :)

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Amazing what they can do isn't it ;) Those side on pics from the start definitely make me cringe!

Is there possibly something else going on higher up in that left fore, it would be interesting to see a whole leg pic from the front. We have a hind foot like that ;)

Hetsmum where abouts are you? No it isn't necessary that the angles match. What matters is that the hoof lands straight- many of the non matching angles/slight flares on one side you see actually enable the hoof to land straight.
Frank wears the outside of his feet much more than the inside, I am told this is because of his knees ;). His hoof still lands and takes off straight. He isn't allowed to keep that deviation as it encourages his toe to run forwards too much and his breakover forward which doesn't help him.

Hetsmum

Visit site
He has deviation in that hoof and an upright pastern which he has pretty much always had - farriers have tried to widen the hoof, its been shortened again and so on and so forth and its been left like that. I found this website very helpful in explaining what a hoof should look like

http://www.thenaturalhoof.co.uk/#!hoof-deformity/cr3g

Honestly I was the same when I took my boys back shoes off - it was pretty much a minefield of information and having been a horse owner who trusted my farrier knew what was best I never every questioned it. I do now. Just keep reading and looking at pics - you will get it. My head was swimming with it at one point but its much clearer now :)
Thank you so much - I will take a look at the website now. It is a minefield and I too trust my farrier having been with him over 20 years and he has performed miracles when I have had 2 with laminitis. He is not very "open" to new ideas though......:( My new lad has never had hind shoes on (I've only had him 5 months) and is not 5 yet. I don't want to hijack your thread so I might take some pictures at the weekend and start a new thread to get everyone' opinions. You do look like you are doing well though which is very heartening. :)

Hetsmum

Visit site
Amazing what they can do isn't it ;) Those side on pics from the start definitely make me cringe!

Is there possibly something else going on higher up in that left fore, it would be interesting to see a whole leg pic from the front. We have a hind foot like that ;)

Hetsmum where abouts are you? No it isn't necessary that the angles match. What matters is that the hoof lands straight- many of the non matching angles/slight flares on one side you see actually enable the hoof to land straight.
Frank wears the outside of his feet much more than the inside, I am told this is because of his knees ;). His hoof still lands and takes off straight. He isn't allowed to keep that deviation as it encourages his toe to run forwards too much and his breakover forward which doesn't help him.

Hi Ester I am in the South East. I will start a thread next week when I get the chance to take some pictures of his feet. I believe he lands very evenly as he has had shoes off for 1 and half shoeings now and went 8 weeks after the shoes were off before a trim which only needed a lick with the rasp. I though he wore his feet incredibly well. Very level and he coped brilliantly even hacking immediately - even over stony ground! I don't want to hijack so I will start new next week. Thank you :)

ester

Visit site
Lucy Priory might be pretty near you, never met her but she is lovely and knows her stuff ;). She used to post on here a fair bit too.
Also I can point you in direction of barefoot forum and or fb groups ;)
It all sounds fab though ;)

Shutterbug

Visit site
Soooooo, its been a while and I wanted to update you guys on our progress and show you some encouraging photos - thought it might be good for anyone thinking of going barefoot to see these - he was never diagnosed with navicular for the record he was diagnosed with palmer heel pain and hasnt had a days lameness since the shoes came off. I will let the photos speak for themselves and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Currently workload is lots and lots of hacking and some schooling - hes being ridden 4/5 times a week after having 6 weeks off due to me being ill. But we are back to work now. We have been barefoot behind for a year and barefoot in front since February 2016

Front Left
Front%20Left%20Comparison%20September_zps7r7ls2jl.jpg

Front right
Front%20right%20comparison%20September_zpssuyjvoy1.jpg

Front left
front%20left%20comparison%20Sept%202016_zps0nbpg7w2.jpg

Front right
Front%20right%20comparison%20September%202016_zpsnsoufm24.jpg

Shutterbug

Visit site
Pleased is an understatement Ester. It really was the best decision for him and it's been totally worth the tears and trauma of the last 6 months. His transition has been so horrible at times that I was sat I my car with my mobile phone in my hand crying tears of frustration and about to call my farrier and ask him to put shoes back on his fronts. It was heartbreaking to watch him go through the worst of it but I am glad I stuck with it, with the help of some Danolin and some time off he's really come through it. I am ecstatic

ester

Visit site
d040.gif

Frank's had to have some time off/do less work recently and even though he is 5 years in it has demonstrated how they more he does the better!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Brilliant. When you look back and the starting pics it's no wonder the horse had hoof pain! Great pics. Well done.

Have the two fronts evened up in size out of interest?

Last edited:

Shutterbug

Visit site
Brilliant. When you look back and the starting pics it's no wonder the horse had hoof pain! Great pics. Well done.

Have the two fronts evened up in size out of interest?

Actually they have although they are still oddities to an extent but farrier said he was seeing dramatic changes in that small hoof and its getting there - possibly another 6 months before we see a full shaped hoof though - I do have pics I just didn't post them as didn't have time before leaving for work but I will post them tomorrow for you.

Shutterbug

Visit site
Incidentally I decided to stay with my current farrier rather than go with a barefoot trimmer because he has horses of his own all of whom who are barefoot - which I found weird lol

PoppyAnderson

Visit site

Goldenstar

Visit site
Soooooo, its been a while and I wanted to update you guys on our progress and show you some encouraging photos - thought it might be good for anyone thinking of going barefoot to see these - he was never diagnosed with navicular for the record he was diagnosed with palmer heel pain and hasnt had a days lameness since the shoes came off. I will let the photos speak for themselves and if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Currently workload is lots and lots of hacking and some schooling - hes being ridden 4/5 times a week after having 6 weeks off due to me being ill. But we are back to work now. We have been barefoot behind for a year and barefoot in front since February 2016

Front Left
Front%20Left%20Comparison%20September_zps7r7ls2jl.jpg

Front right
Front%20right%20comparison%20September_zpssuyjvoy1.jpg

Front left
front%20left%20comparison%20Sept%202016_zps0nbpg7w2.jpg

Front right
Front%20right%20comparison%20September%202016_zpsnsoufm24.jpg

It's fantastic isn't it ,its like magic when you see the new foot growing from the top and you click that we impose things like this happening to them and if you give them the chance they can put themselves right with no great cost , just time and and some effort .
Well done your

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Great news, lovely new feet, I bet he feels so much better in his whole body now.

Fab that your farrier is good too, says a lot that his are barefoot too. I think mine is too rasp happy, and my trimmer is great, even though he's never touched his feet :D