Talk to me about outdoor kittens

Lacuna

Visit site
We've now been on the smallholding for nearly 6 months. The ponies are doing a great job keeping the woods mown down, chickens are growing and the cat is very happy.

One of our friends down in the village has had an unexpected delivery, one of the tamer ferals that she feeds decided to move in and have kittens. They're being raised in a house now so they are getting well handled now they are 4 weeks old and I'm tempted to bring one home. However the cottage we now live in doesn't really lend itself for keeping cats indoors long term (small and easily escapable with kids running around) and hubby has raised the question of whether it could be raised among the outbuildings.

Has anyone done this? our land is well away from roads/dogs etc so as safe as we can make it. We have several sheds/barn etc that would serve as a base. Our resident cat is quite easy going and she should be ok but being outside may may introductions trickier. Any advise welcome.

Archangel

Visit site
I had 11 outside kittens here, born to a feral mother. The last 7 were born in November so faced a tough Welsh winter very young.

I bought them a Wendy House and put it in my spare stable and their clever mummy moved them straight in. The WH was perfect as I put it on a pallet to keep it off the floor and fill it with various beds. It also had a windows that could open so always had another exit. They also had small straw bales arranged into a sort of cave and boxes full of straw (they liked those).

Fluffed up straw is recommended over duvet/blankets as it traps the heat better.

I would say get 2 if you can and leave them with mum as long as possible. They will snuggle up together when they are young and be company and a playmate. Also neuter at the earliest opportunity. The cat rescue said just let them go straight after neutering, but I kept mine in a heated room overnight as I felt they would be vulnerable and it had been a confusing day for them so I wanted to make sure there were no problems.

If you have an outbuilding that can be a base to start with so kitty knows 'home' and then once kitty is settled and in a feeding routine just open the door and feed just outside the open door and let them explore in their own time.

Here are some of the kids in their Wendy House. They now have a much bigger shed as well.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 19.27.02.png

Through the window-1.png

Last edited:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Archangel that is a brilliant set up for your outdoor moggies. They all look very content in their abode.

My two yard kittens, now 3 years old have the yard kitchen to sleep in with lovely beds, an oil fired radiator and if it’s especially cold a log burner with a rug to laze about on ? not in the least bit spoilt. They are both incredible hunters, I just wish they would despatch the rats properly before depositing them at my feet ?

Agree getting 2 is better than one.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had 11 outside kittens here, born to a feral mother. The last 7 were born in November so faced a tough Welsh winter very young.

I bought them a Wendy House and put it in my spare stable and their clever mummy moved them straight in. The WH was perfect as I put it on a pallet to keep it off the floor and fill it with various beds. It also had a windows that could open so always had another exit. They also had small straw bales arranged into a sort of cave and boxes full of straw (they liked those).

Fluffed up straw is recommended over duvet/blankets as it traps the heat better.

I would say get 2 if you can and leave them with mum as long as possible. They will snuggle up together when they are young and be company and a playmate. Also neuter at the earliest opportunity. The cat rescue said just let them go straight after neutering, but I kept mine in a heated room overnight as I felt they would be vulnerable and it had been a confusing day for them so I wanted to make sure there were no problems.

If you have an outbuilding that can be a base to start with so kitty knows 'home' and then once kitty is settled and in a feeding routine just open the door and feed just outside the open door and let them explore in their own time.

Here are some of the kids in their Wendy House. They now have a much bigger shed as well.

View attachment 78356

View attachment 78357

What lovely colour cats ??

sportsmansB

Visit site
I inherited some feral cats when I bought my house, I promised the previous owner that I would continue to look after them. They have straw beds in large trugs in the lean to at the stables. I assume that is where they sleep. They spend most of the day lounging around on my back patio, getting ready to chase the puppy for sport.

The one we have at the yard we got from a rescue, were advised to keep her in for 10 days or so so that she knew the place, but it was hot and she was feisty and she ended up only staying in for 4 days or so but we made sure that there was plenty of food for her beside where she had been kept in. She is still there several years later, not one bit feral now (likes to sit on your knee or climb up your legs and sit on your shoulders!)

Cats are pretty adaptable and also pretty smart. They definitely don't need to live inside especially if they are not fancy cats who came from that. Mine are in absolutely great shape and they do dander into the kitchen for a nosy every now and again, but they are definitely feral, I couldn't pick them up or anything

fiestiemaestie

Visit site
please spay/castrate them at 4 months. Would be worth keeping them in the house or constrained until that age. Also chip them so worst case scenario they can be identified - it’s always sad when we have animals in who are just not able to be reunited for closure with their careers.