Talk to me about saddles!!

starryeyed

Visit site
With a big disclaimer to say I know it's what fits her best , not what everyone else likes!

Looking to upgrade madam's saddle, currently riding her in a Thorowgood (T4? Maybe?!) but have never really liked it - bought it as it fitted her & is adjustable and I knew she'd be changing shape. Not sure why I don't get on well with it as everyone says how nice they are but I struggle to keep the correct position and just don't feel "right" with it? :eek: The intention has always been to eventually upgrade (to leather which is my love!) and due to the sad loss of my gelding, I have a spare Albion sat in my room and as much as I'd like to hold on to it forever (sentimental value) I realise that it's silly to do that when I could part-ex it for one for her - unfortunately it won't fit her, which is such a shame as it's a beautiful saddle and I found it so comfy and as stupid as it sounds I've become very attached to it so will be really sad to see it go.

Will be ringing the saddler as I want to buy from him / get it fitted properly but I'd like to be a bit more aware of what's around at the moment as I'm quite out of the loop when it comes to saddles and don't want to sound too clueless. I realise a huge amount depends on what he has in stock / if he has anything which fits her, but..

1) I've been told by her previous owner that she prefers lightweight saddles? If this turns out to be the case then are there many which fit into this category? (Definitely not an albion :( )

2) And do adjustable leather saddles exist or are they quite hard to come by? I believe Bates do one but think that's probably quite pricey?

I'd be looking for something mid-range, I don't have a huge amount but want to treat myself a bit and will care for it well. I'd want a "true" GP - hoping to do a lot of jumping/XC but also flatwork so needs to be comfy enough for both as can't afford 2 just yet!

And of course would like to hear about saddles you've really liked, I know it's quite a personal thing but would be good to see which are mentioned. Thank you! x

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I have an Eric Thomas close contact jump saddle, which is leather with the gullet change system. I LOVE it. It cost £900 brand new but I have seen Eric Thomas gp saddles brand new on ebay for £350, although not sure if it's inter change able. Definitely recommend them though, amazing quality.

thelwellpony

Visit site
Kent and Masters do an adjustable gullet leather saddle, but I believe it's on a very similar tree to Thorowgoods - probably not ideal if you aren't getting on with that!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Barnsby GP.

Very, very comfortable :D. Which is a good job as the Dizz only seems to be happy in Barnsby saddles :cool:

I traded in my Albion K2 as it didn't fit any of my neds. I lost the one I'd bought it for.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Is the saddle completely the wrong fit? No way Albion could adjust the head for you?

I am getting a Barnsby Edgerton. Very happy with their service. :)

Can't understand why a horse would care about the saddle being light seeing as its holding a person on top of it.

starryeyed

Visit site
Can't understand why a horse would care about the saddle being light seeing as its holding a person on top of it.

I thought this was odd too! Never heard of it before apart from KS horses / ex racers / youngsters :confused: Her last rider couldn't have weighed much so wouldn't have been because they were trying to save weight! Will mention it to the saddler and see if he has any ideas.
Think the saddle probably is quite far off unfortunately, it was for my connie who was built a bit like a flat bus and she is a tall stick!
Thank you for all the suggestions, I've noted them down :) x

TandD

Visit site
i had a bates innova (dressage) best saddle i ever had! - sold due to kissing spines, but loved th cair air. it was quite a heavey saddle, but tb took it and me very well..... felt amazing, and everything changed very eaisly as could change flocking and foam inserts

also albion kontrol, very comfy and secure, but horse didnt like......picky over his saddles!

now actually have a thorowgood dressage...but i believe its a griffen model, and i prefer this so much more to the newer ones! synthetic but looks like leather. so comfy and changeable fish inserts! very light.....stirrups weight more than the saddle
kent and masters do an equivilent model i think.

Puddleduck

Visit site
Jeffries Innsbruck dressage saddle which is about 14 years old, owned it from new and love it. Also got a WOW dressage saddle which I haven't used for a few years as I keep forgetting to put it in the car when I go to the yard to ride. The Jeffries is kept at the yard whereas the WOW has to live at home as my insurance won't cover it at the yard