Talk to me about TENS machines.

05jackd

Visit site
We have regular physio Visits but I’ve noticed as we’ve upped the workload recently my mares gets a little sore along her back so wondered if a Tens machines could help stimulate the muscle between visits. They look similar to the machine our physio uses as well.

But there are so many different types I wanted to get some collective advice.

Does anyone use them?
Have you had much success?

What make and models are good?
Thank you in advance!

Green Bean

Visit site
Have you considered ETT? It is a similar concept to TENS for humans but is very targeted in working through issues with varying strengths of pulse as the muscles release.
I would think if you are wanting to operate a TENS machine without training, this may cause more issues than solutions. There is an old thread on this forum (see link below), however, I don't believe what is being spoken about on this thread is a solution as it assumes you can just leave pads in place on the same spot for a period or time which is not really suitable for horses?

(521) Tens Machine - Anyone have experience of using one? | Horse and Hound Forum

05jackd

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I would certainly ask my physio for advice on placement etc. @SEL can I ask what machine you use and how the results have been?

SEL

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I would certainly ask my physio for advice on placement etc. @SEL can I ask what machine you use and how the results have been?

Can't remember but it wasn't very expensive - I'll try and remember to look on the yard later.

I probably don't use it regularly enough tbh. The mare seems to like having it on because she'll often snooze but I can't say I see any obvious improvement afterwards

rextherobber

Visit site
I had a TENS machine (briefly!) when I was in labour, it was exactly like being smacked with little whippy sticks - really irritating and quite unbearable!

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I had a TENS machine (briefly!) when I was in labour, it was exactly like being smacked with little whippy sticks - really irritating and quite unbearable!

I had one for my labour and it really helped. I didn't really feel the machine itself it just helped the pain level. I'm confident it wasn't placebo affect because I knew immediately when the battery went flat. Maybe it was the machine or maybe they suit some more than others.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I wore one for waking hours during the last 3 weeks of pregnancy (SPD). It definitely helped a lot. I just don't know about using them on horses as you'd not be able to get any feedback.

windand rain

Visit site
I use one on me for severe pain relief it works for some things and not others I have never considered it on the horse though

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I have a tens machine, I get sciatica and the machine does help. I think to try & use one on a horse could be dangerous . The horse isn't able to tell you were each contact should go. Additionally I doubt if the sticky pads would adhere to the horse's coat. We use an Equilibrium Therapy Massage Pad on our horses. We use it at lots of different times. Before the horse competes it relaxes them and gives a good massage to their backs. Sometimes we put it on in the stable, they really like it. This machine, there are other makes, massage the back it does not give electric shocks which I feel would alarm the animal. We also have their backs checked & a fully qualified person comes & she massages & uses a laser if needed.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I used to I use a muscle stimulator/ tens machine a lot under the direction of my physiotherapist when my horse was being treated for SI issues. He wasn’t a bit bothered by it even at highish setting. It was tricky to get the right pulsing. Sometimes it wouldn’t take much to get the muscle going but at other times I had to turn it up but you had to keep an eye on it. I have an Equilibrium massage pad but I don’t think it is as good.