Talk to me about the essentials...

Geordiegal

Visit site
Already posted about getting my new horse at the weekend. The yard has some tools but I want my own because I just want to be able to get on instead of waiting round for things..
I've ordered a shavings fork and a brush, and 2 Haynets.. what else do I need to be able to have to hand? There seems to be a million different shovel/spade options, do you guys have any preference?
Thanks in advance and I apologise for all my seemingly idiotic questions, but you guys all seem so helpful and wise ? x

skint1

Visit site
Congratulations on your new horse, new horse day is always the best day!
What about a wheelbarrow and a poo scoop? They are useful tools to have.

Winters100

Visit site
Can't comment on spades, but I am always needing vet wrap, electrical tape, cotton wool, baby wipes, think silver tape, plasters (for me), rubber gloves, big scrubbing brush for buckets, spare headcollar and leadrope, needle and thread, including wide eyed needle and dental floss for temporary rug repairs, marker pen to identify your supplements etc, cable ties for all sorts of reasons.......

Shay

Visit site
You will need a wheelbarrow - unless the yard has some. I presume you also have grooming kit, first aid kit, feed and water buckets, tack and rugs?

The type of shovel / spade will depend on what bedding you are using and what your surfaces look like - but my personal preference is a basic snow shovel from a hardware store. They are thin bladed so easier to sweep any remaining mess into and wider the the normal plastic spade thing.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Get a dust pan and brush and make loops with cable ties through the handle of each to hang up by. If you have an appropriate wall, the stubbs multi hooks are super useful for hanging tools, headcollars, wet rugs etc. A stall guard or chain (and wall fixings if needed) makes nipping in and out of the stable a lot easier. If not a poop scoop then a trug and some heavy duty gloves for skipping out.
Jumbo Hooker (stubbsengland.com)
Handy Hanger (stubbsengland.com)

asmp

Visit site
Definitely mark all your stuff with a marker pen or use a certain colour of cable ties (mine are green). A wheelbarrow is a definite as nothing worse than hanging around waiting for one to become free. If you’re on shavings get some gardening gloves to pick up stray poo.

Nasicus

Visit site
A wheelbarrow with decent capacity and a good wheel on it, ideally a puncture proof one. Trying to push a loaded wheelbarrow with a flat tyre is awful. Also consider access to the muckheap. If it's a level, straight shot and easy to dump your muck, get a nice big, sturdy one. If it's one of those situations where you've got to get a runup and aim for a single 2x4 plank to get up and into a muck trailer, a smaller, lighter barrow might be more appropriate.

Wishfilly

Visit site
What bedding will you be using? I think this influences what tools you will need. But definitely a poo scoop of some kind.

If you will be supplying feed, some kind of feed bin is essential to stop rats getting in.

And finally definitely some kind of box to keep all your stuff like grooming kit, first aid kit etc in.

Chappie

Visit site
I can recommend the Red Gorilla coloured shovels - lightweight, easy to handle, even use it with shavings (along rubber gloves for the stray poo!) I've had mine 6 years and looks good as new despite daily use and being borrowed a lot!

I'm on my phone so can't post a link but GS Equestrian have them for just over £14 plus £2.99 delivery. They're a good website for all sorts!

I also recommend a specific Red Gorrila brush - the head you can buy separate, it's about £6 (if you check out their website page you'll see the one I mean, its a small narrow shape) and you can buy the "body/neck" separate - different colours available. I LOVE this brush!!! it gets into corners and all the dirt up magnificently, even in the wet.

A cheap (approx 45litres) flexi tub is good to use as a muck bucket - I skip out poo whenever im about to save bedding and keep the stable fresh. I use a small plastic dustpan from a hardware store and rubber gloves for this.

The B&Q orange wheelbarrows are long lasting if you look after them and don't overload them. I'm on a second wheel with mine, a "universal" one I bought from ebay. The metal ones from B&Q are still under £40 I think and are very sturdy.

You probably have an extensive list, think it took me a year or so to gather together everything I use throughout the year; salt lick for the stable? Field-safe head collar for turnout? Ebay and preloved are good for random bits and pieces.

PS have a fab time with your new horse! :)

Geordiegal

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, so I'm using shavings and I've got -
Water bucket
Fork
Brush
Wheel barrow
Buckets for feed
Saddle rack
Grooming bag, brushes, hoof pick.

Now for a totally different question - feeding! The yard she is coming from are not very forthcoming with details on her feeding regime other than she is getting 3 small meals a day of alfa a oil and conditioning mix. I asked how many scoops per feed and if they are adding anything/mixing them together and their reply was literally 'yes' so that was helpful... any input welcome ? x