Talk to me about tildren

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Because most injuries are the result of repetitive strain injury according to Gillian Higgins, so 99% of the damage is done before the moment they "break". I do think someone like Tom Beech might be worthwhile, he works with some brilliant rehab trainers who would be able to advise more on whether they think their approach might be worth a try. I understand this is a horrible situation and you want to go on vets advice but I would be getting a more holistic view as a last resort before turning away, which I agree, I'm not sure I can see how that will necessarily help.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I'm sorry if I've missed this somewhere along the way but would it be worth getting an osteopath or physio to have a look at him and evaluate him from their point of view?

I don't see how he could have changed so dramatically without something major having happened to him, either becoming cast in the stable or doing handstands in the field. But sometimes physios can pick up things that vets can't, often through feel and musculature development/atrophy.

Over the 3yrs I have had him he has had regular sessions with an excellent chiro/mctimoney practitioner. He made huge improvements in the first couple of sessions.
Looking back, he did then need them more often as time has gone on. He generally always had the same issues, especially his pelvis.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Because most injuries are the result of repetitive strain injury according to Gillian Higgins, so 99% of the damage is done before the moment they "break". I do think someone like Tom Beech might be worthwhile, he works with some brilliant rehab trainers who would be able to advise more on whether they think their approach might be worth a try. I understand this is a horrible situation and you want to go on vets advice but I would be getting a more holistic view as a last resort before turning away, which I agree, I'm not sure I can see how that will necessarily help.

I'm thinking it's from repetitive strain, but largely due to genetic/chronic underlying issues. Have discovered that problems with c6-7 are pretty common in tbs.
I always knew he needed the chiropractor when he would go disunited on the left rein (he would change then change back again) in his most recent work up he couldn't maintain a left canter at all.
So, I have probably been managing his issues this whole time, and either the increased work has tipped him over the edge, or his issues have progressed to a point I can no longer manage them.
He was seen by Rob Jackson about 2yrs ago, who said there was something odd in his movement behind, but couldn't pin point it.
I do wonder if he needs to be in some kind of work to keep him strong enough, but he became so unhappy with being tacked up towards the end that I didn't feel comfortable carrying on, hence the position I am now in

mavandkaz

Visit site
Just thought I would update this, incase it helps anyone else.

I decided to go ahead and have the tildren administered back in October/November. All went smoothly and the horse had no issues. He was then turned away in a herd on amazing grazing (well eventually, he tried to stay as long as possible with a reoccurring abscess ?).

So a couple of weeks ago he had his check up. Vet was very straightforward and didn't want to faff around so got straight on with your basic lameness work up.
Pulled the horse out the field and the first comment was 'when is he due?'. Hes been in a herd with 4-7 other boys rotating through 3x 10 acre fields, and is looking very 'well'!
First comment was how good his feet look.
So initial trot up - on a private road - and he's only bloody sound. Continued on to flexion all 4 legs, and he's still sound.
So move on to lunge on the hard. Trotted him round on a patch of grass next to a carpark with walkers heading out (I do love this horse and his no nonsense attitude), bearing in mind the weather we've had in really was hard. And yep, he's sound!

Both me and the vet were amazed as we both were fully expecting to have a tough talk about retirement or possible pts.

So, plan is begin rehab. I have no idea whether it was the tildren, turnout, or going barefoot that has made the difference - probably all three. But who cares, I may actually get to sit on my boy again.

FAYEFUDGE

Visit site
So long story short.. horse has been diagnosed with a whole host of problems, including issues to all 4 suspensories, changes to the vertebrae in the base of his neck and in his back. (All thought to be chronic)
Original vet was at a loss and so we tried rehab (8 weeks walking in hand, then slowly built up ridden walk work over 6 weeks).
Needless to say he did not improve, and also began to show signs of discomfort when being ridden (10-15mins 3times a week) I wasn't happy with the very vague and non-committal attitude of the vet so got a different, very well respected vet out for a second opinion.
Honestly I have never seen a horse move so badly when lunged on the hard, and it was whole body.
Second vet is very to the point and thinks there is very little that can be done, so before completely retiring him we are going to try turning him away for a year just on the off chance it helps.
He also suggested administering tildren before turning away, as he thinks he has bone pain in multiple places. He said he hasn't used it in years but in this case it's probably the best and only possible treatment.
Will be speaking to the vet again tomorrow to get a clearer picture but wondered if anyone had any experience of using tildren.
I have used both tildren and osphos. My horse did not suffer any side effects. All treatments helped; he had navicular issues, bone spavin and slight kissing spines. It is DEF worth a try!

mavandkaz

Visit site
Just thought I would do a 'little' update incase it is of use to anyone.
My boy has exceeded expectations and gone from strength to strength ?

We did 3 months in hand, mainly walking out on roads and tracks but some work in the grass paddock too - long reining and 'large' lunging. Some days he wasn't right and he would have a few days off, other times he looked fab.
We then did 3 months slowly building up time under saddle. This was again just walking, with the odd short trot towards the end. Mainly hacking. I also roped in one of the other girls at the yard to do the riding as she is much lighter then me, and I wanted to keep the weight on his back to minimum whilst he was so weak. He was only ridden twice a week. Also continued with the inhand work and increased the pole work.
During this time his trot felt horrible. He looked absolutely fine from the ground, but in the saddle it felt like I was being twisted and thrown all over the place. He was also a little sensitive over his back.
So in January I got the vet back out to check him over. He was more then happy with him trotting up and lunging. I told him my concerns about being ridden and his back, so quickly x-rayed and all was clear. Vet recommend increasing work load and getting him as strong through his back as possible, and warming him up before getting on him.
So for the next three months we have been doing just that. I have been trying to find a routine that suits him, and I'm hoping we have cracked it.
If I ride straight from the stable, he can be quite 'stiff'. It appears this is his neck issue as almost seems like he is uneven Infront - but only on a left rein circle. Straight lines, right rein, lateral work etc are all fine and he works through it. So we now go for a 15min hack before schooling, and get a canter in early.
He is still only ridden three times a week or so, and never gets ridden two days in a row. But he is schooling so well, and am hopeful to get him out and about to some unaff dressage, he is now schooling at the same level as he was before (or higher, as is now doing some good AM work that wouldn't look out of place in the ring). We just keep sessions short, and only once a week.

He is still barefoot, and will being staying that way. Front hoof boots for hacking out. The saddler has been amazing and has adjusted my saddles in quite an unconventional way to suit him and help with his particular issues.

So big smiles all round, and has made me realise that Dr Green and time away really can do wonders