Talk To Me About Treeless Saddles (Especially Barefoot Ones)

ozpoz

Visit site
I'd be questioned your saddle fitters knowledge and agree with Rowreach and others. A good treeless will enable the back muscle to develop and fit a changing shape.(I'm another who only has experience of Solution and it has been all good.)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
On the contrary, a good treeless saddle would enable the back muscle to develop, whilst continuing to fit him as the topline improves.

I can see your point, and I understand it, but two people have said this in the same week, the first was the trimmer, the first time I've seen the guy and he didn't touch his feet just talked about the causes of my horses issues. I had the treeless fitted by someone else to check it when I bought it.

But honestly, all I've had since I got the treeless is problem after problem, now the issue points to pain probably in his sacro (seen by physio a month ago). I feel like I can't ignore it anymore, maybe all his lameness issues are a result of back pain caused by a bad saddle. I'm not paying for more vet investigations so another wider, better fitting saddle seems like a logical step. All horses are different

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Lol ozpoz

But that's the thing with saddle fitters, who do you trust, they'll all say different things! Current one is lm trained and seemingly popular and trusted. What I'm doing at the moment isn't working for me, something has to change and saddle is the only thing I've not changed since his problems started in 2011. So I have to try it. I'm not doing anymore box rest, or vet investigations, I'm done with that.

NZJenny

Visit site
I have ridden in a Barefoot Cheyanne and loved it.

I also now own a Fheonix Vogue and I love that too.

I rode in a number of treeless saddles that I hated.

I begged borrowed and tried everything I could possibly get my hands on (and bum in!) before making the decision to buy. So if I had any advice it would be to try as many as you possibly can before buying - I just put it out there around friends, riding club buddies etc - do you have one, can I please have a ride in it. Was the best thing I ever did, because some of what they loved, I hated.

Good luck!

acorn92x

Visit site
I have a solution saddle and there is quite a comprehensive thread on here that I started. The second hand value of them is surprisingly low, so it's well worth having a trial and joining that group LHIS mentioned because there's a good chance of getting one second hand in your budget. I didn't have time to wait so bought mine new and I have not regretted it for a second. She's also a cob and you can see it in action on my FB page www.facebook.com/TeamSuperCob.

I am in love with your horse - she is SO similar to my girl except mine is piebald. Even way they move is similar too. I joined the group and have had a browse and there are tons on there that I like the look of and several in my budget and in the size, cut and colour that we need. I'm tempted to trial one from Solution first though and go from there. Would you advise that? I've followed your page I must confess, what a lovely cob you have :)

MiJods (Sorry, ridiculously slow PC is causing me to lose the will to live with going back through posts to quote), she's a show cob type, not as chunky as a proper traditional but still pretty wide and is built like a tank; small, compact and very strong! I actually stumbled across the Tree Free ones and really liked the look of the dressage TOR one but struggled to find much info about it online.

Thank you so much to everyone else who has replied too. I'm glad to hear people saying positive things about Barefoot, Solutions and HM saddles which tbh are probably the ones I'm going to try and get my hands on to trial before making a decision as I want to get it right for my horse but will also try and find out some more info about the Tree Free ones which Mi Jods suggested. Keep the comments and feedback coming though or feel free to PM me, particularly interested to hear from those who have cobs or wider horses in treeless saddles :)

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Aww thanks, she's a real super star. I would definitely have a consultation (it's £50 but mine was only £35 as I went to the yard she kept her horse at). Had I decided not to buy one new, they would have still told me what I needed to buy second hand and Charlotte at HQ said they are happy to tell you the age of anything second hand if you phone up with the serial number.

Stencil face I agree you should try something different just to rule it out as a cause if nothing else.

BlackRider

Visit site
as an aside, I ended up buying a port lewis impression pad, which quickly showed me the problems with the (professionally fitted) solution saddle, and I now have this as a back up, and the hint of any saddle issues I can use this to check for pressure points.

If you are struggling with saddles (and lets face it 10 saddlers would probably be 10 different opinions!) I'd highly recommend hiring one of these or buying.

webble

Visit site
I tried all the Heather Moffett sales and got on ok with them although the vogue didn't have enough spine clearance for my liking. I currently have a solution on trial and have been VERY impressed with their customer service. I have used LHIS fitter who is fab