Tall riders - show me on your smaller horses please

Patch55

Visit site
Hi all,
I have been offered a ride but I am wondering if I am too tall/heavy.

I fluctuate between 11 - 11.5 stone and am 5"11.

Horse is a 15.1 connie x tb, is 4 years old. Three quarters connie and is being backed.

What do people think? If anyone has any pics of them on similar sizes that would be great!

Michen

Visit site
There was an interesting thread the other day about rider weight and horses. I got a bit of a shock as I’m nearing 11 stone (I am usually around 10) and didn’t realise. My horses are pure connies and that height. They weigh around 430kg. Technically with the 20% rule they could carry 86kg (13.5 stone).

I’m afraid I personally don’t want my horses carrying that weight limit and as such am working really hard to get back to the 10 stone/10 and a bit weight. I wouldn’t want them carrying consistently more than that.

I completely appreciate that they are probably capable of carrying more but I just don’t want it for mine. I find the 15% a bit more ideal. Particularly as one is only 5.

dixie

Visit site
This is me on a 15.2hh.
I’m 5ft 8 and 11 stone
I wouldn’t want to go much smaller on a regular scale. From a rider point in view I think it depends on how much they take your leg in order to feel stable.
I also wouldn’t want to be much heavier on mine.

Attachments

• 60F0CA17-3889-44A2-BDD6-E87A036D474C.png
    60F0CA17-3889-44A2-BDD6-E87A036D474C.png
    493.9 KB · Views: 83

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I wouldn't want 11.5 stone plus a stone of clothes and tack on a newly backed 15.1 ConniexTB, I'm very sorry.
I was rather shocked to find that all my then tack (inc admittedly a heavy traditional 18" Ideal event saddle) weighed in at 1.5 stone, then add another stone for for the rider's clothing inc jodh boots, half chaps, air jacket, HSI jockey skull...

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Hmmm. Rightly or wrongly I ride my 15.1hh Welsh type at 5ft7 ish and about 12 and a half stone....

FB_IMG_1619374450829.jpgScreenshot_20210425-191341_Facebook.jpg

He is short coupled and solid though, 550kg on the tape and he's not fat at that. He doesn't seem to have a problem with me, I accept its hard to tell. A horse of similar height but slighter built is not one at would currently want to ride.

BUT I have decided I need to shift weight and would ideally by nearer 10 stone for him. I don't feel so heavy that I need to stop riding in the mean time but I'm managing my eating and have started running and walking more. My scales aren't working but I think I'm losing some already as my clothes feel looser.

I'm a nervous rider and we don't do hard and fast work. Just hack mostly in walk and trot and have an occasional canter. I'm very conscious of building fitness slowly and carefully and he does a programme of physio set exercises.

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Hmmm. Rightly or wrongly I ride my 15.1hh Welsh type at 5ft7 ish and about 12 and a half stone....

View attachment 70670View attachment 70671

He is short coupled and solid though, 550kg on the tape and he's not fat at that. He doesn't seem to have a problem with me, I accept its hard to tell. A horse of similar height but slighter built is not one at would currently want to ride.

BUT I have decided I need to shift weight and would ideally by nearer 10 stone for him. I don't feel so heavy that I need to stop riding in the mean time but I'm managing my eating and have started running and walking more. My scales aren't working but I think I'm losing some already as my clothes feel lower.

I'm a nervous rider and we don't do hard and fast work. Just hack mostly in walk and trot and have an occasional canter. I'm very conscious of building fitness slowly and carefully and he does a programme of physio set exercises.

I don’t think there’s the slightest issue with that. He’s over a 100kg chunkier than the Connie types- completely different. You look great on him.

palo1

Visit site

View attachment 70670View attachment 70671

BUT I have decided I need to shift weight and would ideally by nearer 10 stone for him. I don't feel so heavy that I need to stop riding in the mean time but I'm managing my eating and have started running and walking more. My scales aren't working but I think I'm losing some already as my clothes feel lower.

You look like a great match - super horse!! :)

planete

Visit site
My worry would be the age of the horse and his stage of training which are going to mean that once backed he will still need to build up fitness and balance and will probably still be growing. I really would want a lightweight rider to ride him away and start his schooling. A horse with a couple of years of work behind him would be much more able to cope with some extra weight. i would not put the maximum weight a horse is supposedly able to carry on a newly broken horse.