TB coming back into work, very excitable. Help?

claracanter

Visit site
I know its not the best time of year to be bringing a 9 yr old TB back into work as he started getting very silly in the field and to lead in, my vet agreed that starting exercise might reduce the risk of further injury from pratting about. He's recovered well from a tendon injury having been turned away since August and moves beautifully around the paddock!

I was so pleased to be able to get back on.We have a programme and are doing short walking hacks but he is very full of beans. Have taken him out in company and on his own. We have started a little trotting as advised by the vet but he just wants to canter. There's been a lot of excited bucks. In an ideal world, I would lunge him before I get on but because of the injury, I can't. He's been back in work for about 3 weeks now, being ridden about 4 times a week.

Can anyone recommend something to take the edge off him as I'm worried all the cavorting about is going to do more damage?Or damage me! I've tried Magic ( didn't work), currently loading Global Herbs Calmer but not optimistic. Hack Up worked to start with. Or will he calm down eventually? Any advice? He used to be such a good hack.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Have you tried a syringe calmer before you head out? He will calm eventually I'm sure, but it must all be very exciting for him at the moment. I assume he's not getting any/much hard feed?

claracanter

Visit site
Hi, No I haven't tried a syringe calmer. Which one would you recommend? And you're right, he's just getting a small handful of hard feed.

meesha

Visit site
I got some calmex from vet, couldn't get my chap to eat it but apparently works v well. Give me your address and I will stick a sachet in the post, pm me x