TB does better out?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I had one here that almost refused to leave his stable if it was raining, if the door was left open he would stay inside until I dragged him out, when he was out would start to run the fence if it started to rain even if he had only been out for 10 mins , he did learn to cope with summer showers but in all his time here he definitely preferred to be in, he may have settled well to life with the choice but his owner would have struggled to find that type of livery for him, not many places would be set up for a tb even now when track livery is becoming more popular.
Of the others I have had a few that were fine out, a couple were turned away over winter, but most have enjoyed being stabled, probably partly from being institutionalised although I suspect they would have found having the choice a very good option, even at this time of year there is some goodness in the grass and being able to come and go must remove some stress even if the horse is showing no obvious signs.

Sounds like my horse -- I have the feeling we've had this conversation. My dream yard would have a grassy individual paddock with a solid run-in shed, but I am pretty sure such luxuries do not exist anywhere near Glasgow. It does seem as though this is a common arrangement at people's private homes, but good luck finding a livery yard offering it (that said, I saw a retirement yard advertising run-in sheds). I'd better start trying my hand on Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

PurBee

Visit site
Have to add that he isn't actually out, and is probably choosing to be in more hours the last couple of days than when he was only turned out in the day. But having the choice/not being confined seems to be very important to him.

I inadvertently discovered this too. Only after getting fed up with sporadic weather, constantly questioning should horses be in or out, i decided to have a track between bedded shelter and grazing and dry-standing and just leave them to it. For arabs they are now chilled out like cobs and hold good weight all year round.
The flip-side is...they detest being shut in a stable moreso than before, because now they have got used to the freedom.

GG13

Visit site
My TB has lived out the majority of her life, she’s 24 this year.
This is the first winter she’s actually wanted to come in over night. I think it’s a combination of starting to feel her age and also losing her 2 best field mates. As soon as the weather turns I’m sure she’ll want to be out 24/7 again.
My warmblood on the other hand is the complete opposite and has to be persuaded to go out every day. This winter has been by far the most successful. Last year he managed only a few hours each day before he demanded being brought back in ?