TB Kissing Spines dilemma..........

unicornystar

starbug02.wix.com
Bear with me while I tell you my sad tale....

17 year old TB, ex racer, talented but nappy, unpredictable, and not easy to handle....

recently over the last 6 months his "bucking" has become of a different league, definately pain related, or the memory of pain, only in canter, fine in walk and trot, fine on lunge with saddle on in canter...

I had a physio out a few months ago who "unblocked" an even/wonky hip so knew it would get worse before it got better. Seemed to be slightly better a few weeks ago, managed a canter in the woods without exploding...

Now, appears back to square one.

Operation is not an option. He is pessoa'd a few times a week long and low which seems to help his back muscles, saddle and teeth checked but now bordering on dangerous and I am very close to giving up with him.

Any ideas???? (spines are confirmed by professional).

WellyBaggins

Visit site
You have very little options, you can try and keep on top of it with the pessoa and regular physio treatments, have the steroid injections and do above or the surgeries available, until the pain is removed he will not get any better, only worse, sorry!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Continue the pessoa work and lots of long and low ridden- tbh id avoid canter work for now as its obviously making him sore. When you have built up good strong back muscles inject him?
This was the plan with my very similar sounding horse but a combination of other issues let to retirement instead but I was advised the above by a fab back lady and my vets.
I guess it depends on the severity of the ks though.
Good luck

maggiesmum

Visit site
If he's bordering on dangerous then he's obviously in a lot of pain, I had the same issue with my TB, he wasn't even comfortable as a field pet so I had no choice but to operate (injections were out as he was a big lammi risk).
Is a ligament snip operation out of the question too? It can be done under standing sedation and has a pretty quick recovery time.
If no then I guess you're only left with medicating the back and setting about a rehab programme.

Booboos

Visit site
Who has diagnosed KS? I don't understand from your post if he has been seen by a vet, x-rayed and tested for improvement with steroid injections (which, as far as I understand, is standard for diagnosing KS). If you have not had the vet out, start with that. You will need a proper diagnosis before you can decide on your options.

Meanwhile if he is becoming dangerous to ride don't put yourself at risk!

Tootroot

Visit site
Hello :) canter would probably be the most painful gait because of the pressure to engage behind. My lad used to go disunited an awful lot as well as rearing and napping.
I wasn't sure either based on your post whether you had tried the injection or not...and would be interested as to why the op isn't an option, but the rehab simply doesn't suit some horses.
Pessoaing a few times a week is bound to be doing some good. Have a look on the net at kissing spine correction without op on the internet. It's quite popular :)