tb - lazy in walk & trot then lively in canter & jumping

SMIS

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a tb for my first horse. He is lovely and good for me as I am a novice. He plods lazily in the school never putting in much effort unless I really ride him forward when my instructor is there motivating us :)

He changes into a bit livlier creature if we go into the sj field or the big grass field we hack around. If I walk he is lazy but if I trot or canter he trots really fast and cantering he shakes his head and tries to speed up even chucking a buck if I'm unlucky, I think it is excitement and I try not to hang onto his mouth but I panic a bit and just want to revert back to walking!

In the sj field we can manage 2 or 3 fences in a row before the head shaking and speeding up happens. Again I think its excitement and I'm sure I make it worse by shortening my reins. I would love to manage a full course of jumps or be able to canter the length of the big field safely. Has anyone any tips on how to ride a lazy horse who has flashes of excitement? Its almost like there is a switch in his head which flicks onto tb mode once his blood is up.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
In the arena do plenty of transitions, eg every ten strides, to wake the horse up and get him sharper. Don't nag with your legs, ask once, ask again with your voice too, if no response ask again legs voice and whip. Once horse is in the new pace keep your legs still unless the horse slows without being asked. Keep the movements varied ie not endless circles or going round the edge.

Work without stirrups in the arena to improve your balance and position, which will help you remain in control when the horse starts misbehaving.

School in the jumping field too, not only jumping or blasting about. Hanging onto the head and shortening the reins too much will make the situation worse. When horse gets over excited come back to walk and school exercises, before moving onto walk and trot transitions. Once calm attempt a canter again.

Both running on and slacking off are different ways of avoiding work. Stick with it, insist on discipline and you'll see an improvement in behaviour.

Morgan123

Visit site
He sounds like a character! Sounds like he thinks schooling without jumps is a bit boring ;-).

I agree with above, you need to mix it up so that he is more forward going when you're schooling and less silly when you're jumping! Can you put poles out when schooling, for example, and do trot poles? School in walk and trot in the jumping field? Try and make the schooling fun and exciting, don't just do loads of boring circles. There are some good books with lots of pole work exercises and ridden exercises you can do.

Good luck!

SMIS

Visit site
Thanks to you both that's good advice. I have been doing LOTS of 20m circles cozy that's what I do with my instructor. We can be on one on one rein for 5 mins trotting trying to get some collection. He probably does need a break! He has started chucking his head around when asked to trot now so I'm getting the vet out to hopefully rule out any physical discomfort then if all is OK start trying to ride like I mean business. Its my own fault as we spent our first year hacking with no contact to trying to ride with contact and I think the change is not to his liking!