TB mare free to a good home

Faberge

Visit site
We are looking for a home for Lola. She is a healthy rising 3 year old homebred mare by the event stallion My Eclipse (Shaab) out of an Absalom x Shirley Heights mare who was a high goal polo pony. She is unbacked. Good with farrier, to handle, etc and is in Devon.

Now for the bad bit: She has a parrot mouth. It has been seen to by the dentist a few times. She doesn't seem affected by it and keeps weight on alright - we don't feed her any more than the others. Dentist says he can improve the mouth and bring the lower jaw forward little by little. Anyone interested?

Brownmare

Visit site
Sadly I'm not in a position to offer a home but I have some friends who are looking. They are v experienced hunting peeps and want a project to bring on and hunt / sj / hack and for their eldest son to maybe ride eventually (in about 6 or 7 years). I'm sure they wouldn't mind the mouth problem if it doesn't mean pouring feed into her so if you pm me your contact details I will pass them on.

I would be interested to know how the dentist can improve her mouth - I thought jaw alignment was pretty much fixed and unalterable

joeanne

Visit site
If thats her only fault, advertise her, dont give her away. You will just be attracting all the wrong type's who see a "free horse".

smellsofhorse

Visit site
We are looking for a home for Lola. She is a healthy rising 3 year old homebred mare by the event stallion My Eclipse (Shaab) out of an Absalom x Shirley Heights mare who was a high goal polo pony. She is unbacked. Good with farrier, to handle, etc and is in Devon.

Now for the bad bit: She has a parrot mouth. It has been seen to by the dentist a few times. She doesn't seem affected by it and keeps weight on alright - we don't feed her any more than the others. Dentist says he can improve the mouth and bring the lower jaw forward little by little. Anyone interested?

Have you advertised on project horse?

People looking for more of a challenge and not the "perfect" horse straight off and willing to put in work and spend money on treatment etc.

duggan

Visit site
We've had a couple with parrot mouths as youngstock, both had near straight mouths by 7 year old. Give her time, the bone structure is still developing, i'm not saying she'll end up perfect but few parrot mouthed horses are so bad they bother them. Her breeding is good, can't see why you've written her off for something that may sort itself out to a certain extent.

Faberge

Visit site
We've had a couple with parrot mouths as youngstock, both had near straight mouths by 7 year old. Give her time, the bone structure is still developing, i'm not saying she'll end up perfect but few parrot mouthed horses are so bad they bother them. Her breeding is good, can't see why you've written her off for something that may sort itself out to a certain extent.

Hi, we certainly haven't written her off, we think she will be very capable of going on to fulfill a useful life. Also when I say parrot mouth I mean it - it's about 2 inches out, so it will not sort its self out. We already have the dentist come out about every 6-8 months and he did say it could be improved, but that needs tobe done little and often and we feel it might be easier to explain that she is free because we know there will be ongoing dental care that she must have, rather than just palming her off for £500 and forgetting about her. We care about what happens to her, and that's why she's only free to a good home, not just anyone. Hope you see what I mean.

PS The mouth doesn't bother her, but to ensure it stays that way, she will need frequent attention from the dentist.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
had a mare here for a couple of years with the worst parrot mouth about 3 inches undershot! she was a good eater and grazed as normal with the others, was ok even with short grass. her teeth were done twice a year but nothing more than normal! if you felt the top of her mouth it was very hard from the undershot jaw meeting the rof of her mouth! she was a very useful all rounder who hunted and evented and sj, so dont be hasty in off loading her! and what you think is a good home for life may well just sell her on! unless you retain ownership you have no say in her future!