TB x Trotter

sarah_hateley

Visit site
Anybody have any experience with this cross? What are they good at etc? Never come across any trotters before, what kind of a breed are they- temprement wise and to ride? Im looking at a horse forsale with this breeding....
Thanks
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Trotters/pacers/standard breds are pretty big down my way but I've never owned one so I may not be 110% accurate regarding temp. One I know thats in training is lovely in the stable, very laid back and kind, the guy also has a few broodmares and they're all quiet and very laid back. I rode our fieldmasters pacer back when I was England, jumed him too, he was a very sweet horse, having not owned one I wouldn't want to say they are ALL nice, quiet horses!

willowtreemum

Visit site
I have a 3/4 TB X 1/4 trotter mare.....i wouldn't exactly say she was the comfiest or the easiest horse in the world to ride or be around!! She paces quite a lot actually and her trot is particularly uncomfy! She is also a tempremental sod!!!!! In my opinion (although i love my mare to bits i might add here!!) not a great cross.

Jumping is her forte though....lively,wirey,dizzy could best describe her.

severnmiles

Visit site
That surprises me! The pacer I rode was soooo comfy! It looks very uncomfortable and I remember being pleasantly suprised!

Clodagh

Visit site
In France the hunt horses are usually trotters, they seem to be good tempered and must be pretty comfy, they just trot through the forests for hours all day!

sarah_hateley

Visit site
Hmm the weird thing is he is actually quite cobby looking and coloured! Not hugely built, more a slim middleweight and 15.3. To me looks more CobxTb or the like.
Bit sceptical about if he really is of this breeding....hmmm

If anyone fancies a look give me a pm and I will send you a photo.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I would avoid like the plague. IF the horse paces in trot then chances are he won't be able to canter. Most of them are OK trotting normally and cantering on the flat, but not with a rider on for some reason. They can sometimes get their legs in a muddle when they go out of trot and into canter so not always the safest form of conveyance. Plenty of "normal" horses out there - I'd go for something else if poss!

sea_view

Visit site
I had a trotter, they are a Standard Bred, he was a Scottish Champion. Lovely, friendly horse however wired to the moon at times, he makes the funniest 'putting' sound and bangs the door with his chin when it's dinner time, breakfast time, sunrise, sunset... come to think of it often!!!

I wanted him for jumping, he has a pop to envy but wasn't doing it consistently enough so my friend bought him and she now does dressage with him which he loves. (ocasionally goes back into trotting mode when harrassed).

Hope this helps!!!

loz

savanna

New User
Visit site
i have a square trotter X trad cob that i compete on at endurance. She is excellent at covering the ground, fab temperment totally unflappable, i wud def recc, she out trots anything

albert

Visit site
i had a trotter, he was a standardbred and lovely, had no problems in canter but did pace.

One thing i would be very wary about, is if he is a gypsy trotter he may have been broken to drive at a very young age (about 18 months is normal) and trotted hard on the roads. They like them be able to hit 30

They often dont last long.

This happend to mine and he was crippled by the age of 9 and had to be put down.