TB's at the sales . . . apparently passports nailed to doors and 'help yourself'???

Millyard Rejects

Visit site
I agree..you'll always get your money's worth dead or alive with a TB...

I prefer them dead..as they're pretty rubbish at much else than trying to run as fast as they can.

*LOUD TUTTING NOISE!* :rolleyes::D

I had a lovely TB...she tried to kill me a few times but always tried to find me a man while out hacking! Jumped in front of binmen and a lorry full of soldiers! so she cant have been all bad!!! :eek::D:p

honetpot

Visit site
I am afraid I have a TB, and he is a money pit.
There are TB's going for nothing but its not advertised as most sensible people do not want the 'cheap horse', for nothing brigade coming round. These horse needs lots of care and I think most would be better off not in private homes. A lot have issues apart from weaving,cribbing, and leg problems and the cost of keeping them makes the extra cost of buying a nice sensible cob in the long run cheap.

samzy_82

Visit site
I have a 16.2 TB gelding and he's fantastic! Never been lame (apart from when my other horse kicked him) He's so laid back it's untrue!! He's calmer to ride than my ISH. Eventing him is great, for a youngster he just keeps going no questions asked, he's very honest! He tries his heart out for me :D

I would have another one any day...

My daft ISH is the money pit, he is an accident waiting to happen.. falling down banks into streams, kicking himself and the like.. hehe

asterid

Visit site
Native Ponies - Have you seen what breed top event horse are????????????

TB's!!!!!!

And Tb's are slowly coming back into the dressage field too. They are exceptionally intelligent, willing and make fab horses.

2Conker

Visit site
Heh, nativeponies and asterid Good thing about TB's is they mix really really well with Natives!!! The 25%-12.5% cocktails make great eventers too. Mind you, both parties are over-bred and end up...oops better not go there?

olop

Visit site
It wouldnt surprise me.....
If you ask around at trainers yards they always have horses that they need to re-home that is how I got my last horse (long story but he had to go back in the end as he kept going horrendously lame)
If anyone is looking for an ex-racer out there I suggest you ring around the trainers yards as someone will definitely have something, if not I have a few contacts that I could put you in touch with.
Unfortunately until all these breeders stop breeding (because they think they have bred that next Sea the Stars or Kauto Star) the situation will only get worse. There are far too many TBs bred that are not even worth training, you only have to look at the amount that don't even reach the track.

caramel

Visit site
I bought my ex-racer at Melton Mowbray sales. He's an ex hurdler/novice chaser/point to pointer and raced for a good 6 years. He has impeccable breeding (great grandad is Mill Reef, damsire being Glint of gold). I have all his history, photos of him racing etc, even spoken to his previous trainer (Alan King).
We've had ups and downs, but he is, to me anyway, perfect. I bought him before the sale for not much at all, and once the passport was handed to me I could take him. He's not been lame, sick or sorry *touch wood* and he's a real pleasure. I've been incredibly lucky and would love another ex-racer one day.

Rose Folly

Visit site
Came in late on this. It confirms my opinion that the horse (and dog) breeding industry should be heavily regulated and restricted. If TBs are being given away or left tied up at the sales, or one foal metamorphosing into two when you go to collect it, what about all the nondescript horse and ponies who are bred with no thought but for their owners' rapacious pockets? There are enough equines in this country as it is, and a lot of very silly amateur breeders, let alone the professional ones. I heard last night at dog training of an elderly Arab mare, so crippled with arthritis that her front legs are bowed and she can hardly walk, kept alive to provide a foal each year "oh well, she does throw a quality foal".
A nation of animal lovers? Spare me...

LizzyandToddy

Visit site
I heard a rumour like too. Also, anyone been told about the ones at smaller race tracks where they are quite literally given away after the race??

-> I nearly came home with one from leicester races. Poor dobin lost in spectacular style, was then being rather roughly handled (obvious annoyed those looking after it)...could have bought it there for £100. Was only a 3y/o aswell. Pretty pitiful.
(Thankfully I had more sense and didn't. But it was tempting as I am looking for a project)

Over breeding going on to the maximum at the minute. Simply not fair on the horses.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Came in late on this. It confirms my opinion that the horse (and dog) breeding industry should be heavily regulated and restricted. If TBs are being given away or left tied up at the sales, or one foal metamorphosing into two when you go to collect it, what about all the nondescript horse and ponies who are bred with no thought but for their owners' rapacious pockets? There are enough equines in this country as it is, and a lot of very silly amateur breeders, let alone the professional ones. I heard last night at dog training of an elderly Arab mare, so crippled with arthritis that her front legs are bowed and she can hardly walk, kept alive to provide a foal each year "oh well, she does throw a quality foal".
A nation of animal lovers? Spare me...

I don't think many TBs are being 'left tied up at the sales' for the reasons we have already discussed, this maybe happening at the market type sales but not at Tatts etc. Besides it costs more than meat money to enter the horses in those sales and the cost of staff means that the real poor end of the market do not end up at Tatts or Doncaster. However yes horses are given away from training yards to often unsuitable homes but then is this not the case in the' riding horse' market. TBH I get fed up of the accusing finger being point at the TB industry when there is so much indescriminate breeding going on in the riding horse sector.

scarymare

Visit site
i would love an ex-racer to take on but never see them for sale or for free up here

Yep, same here, I'd take on a couple if they were sound. Appreciate they would be money pits but I'm so far gone with my 8 that another 2 would only hasten the bankruptcy. I suppose though if I were back down South then taking a couple wouldn't be an issue as wouldnt have the land and life quality we get in Scotland - mind you it was -6 this morning!!!!

nikkiportia

Visit site

I prefer them dead..as they're pretty rubbish at much else than trying to run as fast as they can.

Sure, we are all entitled to our own opinions, but what a closed minded one that is. (And as per usual a contraversial one designed to encourage people to snipe back at it)
Judge each horse on it's own merits.
I've dealt with hundreds over the years, and to say they can do nothing but run fast is an insult to them.

Despite being in the industry myself, I have never personally seen a horse dumped at Tatts with a passport pinned to the door. As previously mentioned, they hold the passports and give you a pass out to remove the animal. You cannot go and simply help yourself. Any horses left would be property and responsibility of Tattersalls, who would then charge the owner for the care of the animal or claim ownership I suppose. I cannot comment on what happens elsewhere, as I don't know.

nikkiportia

Visit site
I don't think many TBs are being 'left tied up at the sales' for the reasons we have already discussed, this maybe happening at the market type sales but not at Tatts etc. Besides it costs more than meat money to enter the horses in those sales and the cost of staff means that the real poor end of the market do not end up at Tatts or Doncaster. However yes horses are given away from training yards to often unsuitable homes but then is this not the case in the' riding horse' market. TBH I get fed up of the accusing finger being point at the TB industry when there is so much indescriminate breeding going on in the riding horse sector.

Spot on Laafet!

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
I only ever rode one laid back TB called bob, he was lovely any others have been constantly lame or mental or worse evil!

Mind you I did say Id never have another cob and theres one in my field at the moment, so it can only be a matter of time cant it ....

Ted's mum

Visit site
Its people like you that give TB's a bad name.

she is right though..TB's are good for nothing...they race as a 2 yr old (most) then that knackers up their legs generally, they eat loads and are still skinny, they throw shoes every bl00dy day IMO they all should be shot after their sucessful or unsucessful racing careers end. there are just too many around.

Show Girl

Visit site
she is right though..TB's are good for nothing...they race as a 2 yr old (most) then that knackers up their legs generally, they eat loads and are still skinny, they throw shoes every bl00dy day IMO they all should be shot after their sucessful or unsucessful racing careers end. there are just too many around.

You are SO wrong, I've had TB's all my life (one till she was 32 from aged 5) I have 2 at the moment BOTH ex racers one of which has had a very sucessful life after racing and the other who incidently was going to be shot because she was deemed so dangerous, who is now turning out to be a very nice horse with hopefully a long career in front of her and maybe one day a trip to HOYS.
Get a decent farrier I never have trouble with shoes, feed them right they aren't always skinny and I don't pump food down mine. I agree there are to many around and the breeding should be regulated far more. By the way we have 6 ex racers in our yard and they are all sain and sound.

Ted's mum

Visit site
I dont have a TB thank god..I'm just speaking from experience when I unfortunately owned one...my farrier was haydyn price - best around, and feed wise it was on 3 scoops of conditioning grub and and loads of hay/grass etc and was still a skinny thing...they also don't sell...lets here it for the cobs and warmbloods I say!!

scatty_mare

Visit site

Native Ponies you're talking out of your (_*_) - neither of my 2 ex-racers are any good at trying to run fast!
Now stop with the TB bashing or we'll get all anti-native on yo'ass :D

scatty_mare

Visit site
I dont have a TB thank god..I'm just speaking from experience when I unfortunately owned one...my farrier was haydyn price - best around, and feed wise it was on 3 scoops of conditioning grub and and loads of hay/grass etc and was still a skinny thing...they also don't sell...lets here it for the cobs and warmbloods I say!!

Christ. They're not all like that!

Milkmaid

Visit site
It`s not that T.B`s are useless and good for nothing, it`s the lack of people experienced and knowledgable enough to take them on that is the problem.

They are sensitive and highly intelligent animals. Not the types to suffer fools gladly and this is where their 'lunatic' reputation comes from, sadly. With proper retraining and understanding they can become the perfect 'RC allrounder'

I`d rather see them destroyed after racing than 'rehomed' to novices, who although mean well, cause no end of un-necessary suffering.

I took my ex racer on straight from racing at 4 and he`s nearly 19 now. Been a jack of all trades (but master of none) and i`ve had some amazing fun with him over the years.

Milkmaid

Visit site

Probably had un-diagnosed ulcers..........

My T.B has a completely fibre/mollases free diet. Give him cereals (expecially mollased ones) and watch the weight drop off and him turn into a raving luni!

scatty_mare

Visit site
It`s not that T.B`s are useless and good for nothing, it`s the lack of people experienced and knowledgable enough to take them on that is the problem.

They are sensitive and highly intelligent animals. Not the types to suffer fools gladly and this is where their 'lunatic' reputation comes from, sadly. With proper retraining and understanding they can become the perfect 'RC allrounder'

I`d rather see them destroyed after racing than 'rehomed' to novices, who although mean well, cause no end of un-necessary suffering.

I took my ex racer on straight from racing at 4 and he`s nearly 19 now. Been a jack of all trades (but master of none) and i`ve had some amazing fun with him over the years.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
I also have 2 lovely thoroughbred ex-racehorses, and my mare in particular has been my horse of a lifetime. Both are well-mannered, sane and well-schooled useful RC allrounder types. My mare was about to go novice BE when her eventing career was ended by an accident (which could have happened to any horse regardless of breed).

That's not to say that everyone who doesn't love thoroughbreds couldn't handle one - different strokes for different folks as they say - but it's sad they have the lunatic reputation when, with the right management, they are anything but.