TB's on cobs?

Bossdog

Visit site
Hallo!

I haven't been on here for ages and ages and now I have a question....

My gorgeous cob has turned into the perfect horse, she finally settled in to her new home and after lots of work and consistency, she has become a dream to own. She has been doing so well that a number of people have said how great she'd be to cross with a thoroughbred and I have to admit I have always thought the same. She has typical cobby conformation, part shire so very slight cow hocks but otherwise very correct and a beautiful temperament.

So I was wondering if there is a apaicular type of throughbred stallion that would compliment a cob? She is 15hh and probably middleweight with a pretty short back and a fabulous strong neck. I'd love something slightly more refined to do some more serious dressage on. So if anyone can recommend any studs in particular or even if you have had experience crossing a cob wth a certain TB I'd love to know.

Hope someone can advise!!

Love Jules xx

the watcher

Visit site
The cow hocks would be enough to make me question whether you really should be breeding from this mare, especially if you want something to do serious dressage.

I don't know too many thoroughbred stallions, but plenty of people here will - it does seem a shame to take her out of work for quite a while if she is doing so well.

Bossdog

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I have wondered if her hocks would be a problem but they are so slight and have improved so much with proper shoeing (previous owner was a bit lax with shoeing snd she got in a bit of a state). I think it's important to be aware of her faults and as that is the only thing I can come up with, I think she could be a good candidate for a broodmare. Plusl I'm sure I heard somewhere that cow hocks aren't always seen as a really bad fault and as they are so mild, maybe a stallion with very correct hindlegs could offer enough compensation to provide a good foal?

It's been such a long time since I looked into this and I don't have much experience of TB stallions (just M&M)!!

Foxford

Visit site
I've met 2 cob x tbs, and I'm sorry to say they looked pretty oddly put together! I would be tempted to find an alternative to a tb stallion but I'm afraid I'm stumped as to what!!

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
well the welsh cob x TB cross is very popular, and the only cob cross I have personal experience with. Produces nice RC types, and if you go 75/25 on the TB you can get very useful eventing types.

I am guessing for a cob mare you need to look for a stallion who passes on a good shoulder and who is loose through the shoulder. As a general rule of thumb a TB stallion is less likely to help with the pelvic tuck/weigth carrying ability of the hind limbs, but should help correct sickle hocks.

Not seen them in the flesh but the likes of Classic, Kings Composser and Andes all seem to throw correct and nice moving stock. I also like the look of Devil's Jump.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Do you have photos of your mare? Being cow hocked can cause an issues with stress on the hocks & fetlocks. Being a cob her short neck can cause problems with flexibility as well as a shortening of the stride. A TB could improve on her but you need to really look at her & how well she rides. It would be difficult to judge without seeing her. A stallion can only do so much & there is no guarantees, so you would be safer to use a stallion who really stamps his stock. There is a person at our yard that had a very nice colt ex of a pony cob mare. The 2nd youngster now 4yrs is a couple of hands bigger then her 16hh with a real pony head. The next one is smaller & more cob like, the next one a filly is quiet common as is this years colt. Even the full brothers are different, but the earlier ones are nicer, the later ones lack quality in my mind anyway.

alleycat

Visit site
I like TBs but I think myself you should look at a something else in this case; looking at the stud websites over the last couple of years I've been struck how surprisingly well some warmbloods seem to cross with cob types. Some of the Dutch warmbloods seem to do well; they seem to just somehow open up & refine the cob type a bit. A lot of cobs move really well but are limited by their chunkiness and just lack that bit of scope, but the warmblood cross seems to unlock their talents while adding a few of its own.

I'm sure I've seen Umenno (Rass Stud) used in this way, and Goshka Sporthorses have some cob crosses on their site; and there must be others. Is it just me or do these horses seem to produce lighter, more refined offspring than you'd maybe expect to chunkier mares?

If you're thinking about dressage you'd get a head start with a warmblood in terms of action & head carriage. You'd also have so much more choice, giving you the chance to find a horse suitable for your particular mare.

I'd "drawl"
grin.gif
the web and see who's producing what to mares similar to yours.

What was the breeding of that amazing buckskin dressage horse "Blue Circle Boy"? Wasn't he Hannoverian x cob- or have I imagined that?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have to say, personally I love the sound of a TB x Cob - I think you could produce something pretty special.

Post some piccy's of your little mare for more confo information.....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have to say, personally I love the sound of a TB x Cob - I think you could produce something pretty special. When I was looking at stallions, I considered two TB's. In the end she was put to something else that I considered more suitable for her. But essentially had the TB's been right for me I would have used one of them. Amy was a little cob type mare.

Post some piccy's of your little mare for more confo information.....

sallyf

Visit site
What type of cob is she a Welshie or show cob.
Here are a couple of pictures of youngstock out of show cob mares by my small TB stallion .
You do have to be careful to use a stallion with enough bone we are lucky in that ours has nearly 9 inches of bone.
First one is a 5 month old foal out of a 3/4 ID LW show cob mare he is unshown to date as owner only does ridden classes.
jack1.jpg

Next is a yearling out of a 1/2 ID 1/2 connemara show cob mare firstly when new born.
OliviadaviesAlfieLittlejohns005.jpg

and then as a yearling when he came 3rd out of over 20 in the sport horse breeding class at Devon county.
He was shown as a foal and never out of the first two.
2007-05-18-1207-10_edited.jpg

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I've not seen very good results from TB's covering cobs...although in theory it sounds good...you seem to get bits of both....
I agree with the poster above that you might be better finding a nice Warmblood stallion who isn't too disimilar to your girl...so you'll get more predictable results...and still add quality.
Another cross that doesn't seem to work is Highland Pony x TB although in theory it sounds great...
S
laugh.gif

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
As the TB is pure I would have thought this or an AA would be better then a WB. It would depend on the mare, but in my uncles day they took their working mares to the local HIS stallion who more often then not was a ex racing TB. The results were usually the horses they went hunting on. I think finding a stallion that is known to put out good stock from this type of mare is the best option. I think Sallyf has shown how nice the result can be.