TB's shoes are coming off next week

jj4y

Visit site
My ex-racer's shoes are coming off next week. He's on Pro Hoof, micronised linseed and speedibeet but that's only been for the last couple of weeks, though he was on a very low sugar/high fibre diet beforehand. I was just hoping to ask for some advice on boots as I've read some conflicting views. Some say to just use boots if needed vs using boots straight off then reducing their use if/when his feet are up to it..

His feet don't look too bad at the moment, in fact they're the best condition they've been in since I had him which no cracks etc. Its been something I've wanted to do with him for a while and as I'm not going to be able to work him quite as much for the next few months I thought it would be ideal timing, then I can gradually increase his workload again to get us both fitter together.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Best to wait a week or so after removal to see how is goes, Cavallos do less expensive boots, and probably fronts only needed. There are two styles.
Look at Rockley Farm for all information, there is loads of info on there.
If struggling start with walking in hand on smooth tarmac.
Even if as you progress you may find that the footiness may vary I think this is often due to intake of sugars from grass which is somethinh most of us cannot control if out 24/7.

_GG_

Visit site
Ask farrier not to trim anything, especially heels and frog....mine did a full trim and Fly could hardly walk for two weeks.

See what the ground is like. Here at the moment it is nice as we've had rain. Last week, it was like rocky concrete!

There are far more knowledgeable people on here than me though so hopefully they will be along soon.

EDIT: FWIW, Fly has been bare for 10 months now and is doing really well :)

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Ask farrier if he has many barefoot clients, if none ............ either convert him, or replace him!
After about six months I never used a farrier, but I had lots of good hacking and managed feet and diet for barefoot. In some ways I felt was tied in to the diet, but as he was a spooky type I was not too concerned as the magnesium helped to keep him calm, and me safe, the cost of the minerals was balanced by savings on shoes.
Micronised linseed [50gms in summer] plus minerals also meant he had a less itchy skin.

Agree with above post. Farrier should only lightly remove excess horn due to growth under the shoes. I really think some scalp them just to prove to you that they can't manage without shoes........ and hope you will ask them to replace shoes. So make it clear this is permanent.
If not in work a pasture trim is recommended regularly, but best to keep in work if only 20 mins per day in hand on hard surface.
If grass very lush you may consider a few hours per day inside with some hay.

Last edited:

jj4y

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. Someone had already suggested that grass sugars may be in issue but with only having limited grazing I already bring them onto the concrete yard mid afternoon, then he's stabled overnight, so hopefully that will help.

kez1001

Visit site
Is your horse sore when it loses a shoe?
Do you want to work horse straight away when shoes removed?

Both these factors effect using boots or not. I removed my TB shoes six months ago and he had paper thin soles. Fortunately we had soft wet fields and I had very spongy mats for him to stand on when he came in. I won't lie. He was very very sore after first week. But I didn't ask much of him - just gentle walks and arena work til he was more comfortable. I used boots and pads to hack out after a few weeks. He never struggled with his back feet with exception of tricky to shift thrush in one hind frog that I have to keep my eye on. We still use front boots and don't think we will manage without as driveway very stoney. Take lots of pictures. It's amazing how much they change.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Just listen to your horse. He will tell you whether he needs boots. My TB has been barefoot for 3 years now. I still have the same pair of Cavallo boots that I bought back then! I don't use them all the time. I use them mainly when the ground is wet or when I know there are loads of stones on the road. If I'm doing a route which I know is mainly tarmac then we go without. You will know if you need them. They are a good investment and backup should you need them. :)