Teaching a horse to come to call

9tails

Visit site
Mine will come but she walks up the field so slowly you'd think she was going to the gallows. With occasional stops where we have a staring contest then the slow walk starts again. If there's a bucket in my hand though, she canters up.

9tails

Visit site
If only mine would stop for a pee! She lives out 24/7 in summer and I'm convinced she holds it until she can do a gigantic tiddle on her bedding.

PingPongPony

Visit site
If only mine would stop for a pee! She lives out 24/7 in summer and I'm convinced she holds it until she can do a gigantic tiddle on her bedding.

When mine comes in, she usually starts with her bum against the wall facing the gate and starts a poo trail all the way over so her bum then faces away from the gate and she is squished up against the wall cuz she will NOT step in her poo. Then of course i get the ''go on then, pick it up'' look. I swear she holds it all in just so i have to clean it up when she comes in! :mad: Gets really annoying when you are trying to tack up quickly but have to keep picking it up (livery yard, so cannot leave it untill i come back from riding/field etc.)

risky business

Visit site
My pony only comes to call if she's : hungry, bored, wanting attention, cold and muddy...

Apart from that she looks when I call her name but that's I get most times! She may occasionally meet me halfway!

Waffles

Visit site
I've taught all mine like this: Call them (they might look up, they might not, if they are completely new), go up to them and offer some titbit, and have others in my pocket, walk away a bit, and if they don't follow, I go back and give another, then walk away again - I do this a few times and they usually follow, next day, I would go in and stand a few yards away, patiently until curiosity gets the better of him and he comes over (having called at the gate first) - then gradually I have found they will come to call if I continue increasing the distance if you see what I mean.