Teaching a horse to respect your space

Jericho

Visit site
I have just taken on a 4.5 year old 13.3hh coloured cob who is an absolute sweetie but just that little bit too in your face. It seems quite sweet at first that he was just a whisker behind me whenever I am out in the field but he has on a couple of occasions just gone to walk straight through me or someone else. I have of course always been quite clear that this is not acceptable and have backed him up, however I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on some ground work with this issue. I am not keen on the whole waving sticks, ropes, arms at him as he has looked scared and flung his head about when I have taken thatnapproach with him today.

I am a little worried that his invading my space is because he is feeling dominant especially as he is also doing the stallion curling upper lip posturing a lot and he was only gelded about 6 months ago.

Any advice much appreciated, many thanks

Miss L Toe

Visit site
He has been gelded rather late, so you need to handle him firmly, as if he were a stallion, no need to make him head shy, but make sure you can handle him at all times, keeping him away from your space, using a bridle if necessary. Make sure you are firm but consistent, tie him up to groom him and pick his feet etc.
He needs to learn to respect you at all times, and avoid treats and cuddles.
Get him used to a routine and build on that.
I would be careful not to mix with mares.

Last edited:

Kenzo

Visit site
Ground work and respect starts in the stable, so get him used to moving over and backing up and waiting patiently when opening the door and making him wait until you give him the command to leave, enter door ways.

You don't need any special equipment, just consistant clear commands, the end of a whip (handle end) to gently poke/push into his chest along with telling him BACK

Kenzo

Visit site
Ground work and respect starts in the stable, so get him used to moving over and backing up and waiting patiently when opening the door and making him wait until you give him the command to leave, enter door ways.

You don't need any special equipment, just consistant clear commands, the end of a whip (handle end) to gently poke/push into his chest along with telling him 'BACK' he will soon learn that once your hand goes to his chest that he needs to back off and stay out of your personal space.

You can apply the same to his side when asking him to move over, eventually he will just do it by saying over.

Then apply this outside, when in the school or leading him about, you just have to be strict on yourself not only the horse, dont get sloppy and just do it some days or let him get away with not doing as he's told as it just gives mixed signals.

You'll be suprised how easy it is and how quickly he learns if you stick to it.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
Hi, he is trying to assert his authority and is clearly showing you disrespect, when he tries to barge you, you push him back - even if it is just one step back with a firm NO!!

The best book you could do with reading is " perfect manners" by Kelly Marks.