Teaching a horse to stand still for mounting

dollymix

Visit site
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can offer some practical advice for teaching my new mare to stand still for mounting.

She is a 5 yr old Irish Draught and is generally a good girl. I bought her nearly 3 months ago and despite havig some ups and downs with saddles we are now sorted and her ridden work is coming on.

The problem I am having is getting her to stand still at the mounting block.

When I bought her the seller said she could be a bit fidgety to mount, but actually when i tried her she was very good. However, the vet did also notice she didn't stan still at the mounting block during the vetting.

She is a big girl - 16.3 and I am 5'5 with short legs so I do need a mounting block.

She doesn't do anything dangerous...at first, when i climbed the mounting block she would swing her quarters away. i styed on the mounting block and pulled her around til she was stood straight. To try to stop her minimise this, I started to put her alongside a fence so she couldn't swing away.

The next trick was to not move her quarters away (because she obviously couldn't), so she woudl stand whilst i went up the moutning block, but as soon as i picked the reins up she would walk backwards. not in any silly way, more of a cheeky..nur nur nur nur nur way!!!

If someone holds her she still sometimes walks backwards, unless they scratch her neck to distract her (she LOVES good scratch)

Any tips for working on this would be appreciated. I have never had this problem with any of my other horses so am drawing a bit of a blank!! I want to nip it in the bud before it becomes a big issue!!!

(P.s - she has had her saddle professionally fitted and her back, teetch etc have been checked)

Brandy

Visit site
My welsh was like this, and although I don't NEED to use a mounting block I always do. He was maybe a little siller about things than you describe. I solved the problem VERY easily using bribery. Treats. Use the word 'staaand' and then give a treat. I started by just standing next to the block, stand, give treat. Climb on th eblock, keep saying stand, and if she does, give treat. Get on, staaand, give treat!

Helps to have someone hold her if you can. My boy who is ridiculous in many ways, will stand to be mounted from the block, a fence, the ground, in ANY circumstances even ones where he would normally be being silly! I always have a few treats in my pocket, and yes, he does expect one when I get on. He stands like a rock, waits for me to get my stirrups, and sort myself out, has a treat and off we go!

He never begs for treats or nips.

bexandspooky

Visit site
Mine was a bit like this when I first got her - very cheeky - she would stand quietly until i got on to the mounting block and then turn to face me.

She is really food orientated thought, so I spend about 20 mins one afternoon with her in a headcollar by the block, giving her a few pony nuts when she stood still. then getting on to the block, another couple of nuts (and I mean literally 3 or 4 nuts) and then getting down, walking round her - more nuts, back on to block, more nuts, then leant over her, more nuts etc etc etc.

From that day on she never moved a muscle again. for a while after I started it and intermittently now I would get on her, do up her girth and then give her a small treat if she didn't move.

The marines march past her in full camo gear with guns and she stands still now - if shes in the field she goes scatty!

katherine1975

Visit site
My horse used to be naughty but she likes a good scratch too, so my OH would hold her and scratch her withers. It took a few weeks but she now stands every time without someone there, I scratch her withers once I'm on as a reward.

catdragon

Visit site
My welsh was like this, and although I don't NEED to use a mounting block I always do. He was maybe a little siller about things than you describe. I solved the problem VERY easily using bribery. Treats. Use the word 'staaand' and then give a treat. I started by just standing next to the block, stand, give treat. Climb on th eblock, keep saying stand, and if she does, give treat. Get on, staaand, give treat!

Helps to have someone hold her if you can. My boy who is ridiculous in many ways, will stand to be mounted from the block, a fence, the ground, in ANY circumstances even ones where he would normally be being silly! I always have a few treats in my pocket, and yes, he does expect one when I get on. He stands like a rock, waits for me to get my stirrups, and sort myself out, has a treat and off we go!

He never begs for treats or nips.

^^ This. I had exactly the same issues as you. I have sugar free polo's, she stands - gets a polo. I mount - as long as she stands still - another polo.. and a polo when I get off as a reward. She's brilliant now, even swings herself to line up with the mounting block LOL !!

The "staaand" verbal command works all the time whilst you are on the ground too- if she's being silly I just have to say it, she'll stop and look to me for a polo :D

Mlini

Visit site
My ex-racer used to be like this, apart from he either jumped forwards or threatened to rear! :(. He's always been OK with leg ups (as he was used to in racing). And getting on from the floor is a big no for me as he's 16.3 and I dont want to pull his back out! So basically, when I was at the yard alone I struggled to mount.

A livery built us a rather large mounting block just next to the stables :D I just kept walking him upto it and making him stand for a bit, then moving off. Then I'd stand on the block for a few seconds, then move off again. Then put weight in the stirrup, then move off again.... - You get the idea? Treats help too - Give rewards when she stands still :D It's quite surprising how quickley mine improved, now he's great to mount :D

Cop-Pop

Visit site
My horse does this too. My mounting block is a half barrell thing so I park her in the corner of the school and hop on there tho she still tends to try marching off :rolleyes: If I spend time standing there and chatting to her, scratching her bum etc she does settle and stand beautifully but I just dont have the time to do this everytime!

My YO feeds hers a polo before getting on to keep their mouths busy but I hate treating horses - hers are all really mouthy and if you have to hold their head for whatever reason they nip and headbutt asking for more treats.

BigRed

Visit site
If you watch the Michael Peace Vid, he says that you must stay on the mounting block and make the horse do the work. if they step away, hassle them and make them keep walking until you position them where you want. Don't step off the block. keep them moving until they come into the right place, then reward them with a big pat and if they are standing still, get on. if they move off again, once again, stay on the block and keep them moving until they finally come back into the right place. Their reward is to stand still (in the right place).