Teaching a horse to yield to leg pressure, i.e. Move sideways!

wench

Visit site
Has anyone got any tips for teaching green horse to yield to leg pressure/move sideways?

Currently trying in hand but she's a bit slow on the uptake with this one

Charmin

Visit site
Try a sharper, more pointed aid such as a finger prod in the side rather than a hand. Not a jab, but a more focused pressure. Then can progress to 'blunter' aids such as a whole hand.

Could also combine with turning the head and using the aid to push the hindquarters to get the idea through and feet moving.

She may find it easier if combined with a vocal cue such as 'over'.

Equi

Visit site
Try a sharper, more pointed aid such as a finger prod in the side rather than a hand. Not a jab, but a more focused pressure. Then can progress to 'blunter' aids such as a whole hand.

Could also combine with turning the head and using the aid to push the hindquarters to get the idea through and feet moving.

She may find it easier if combined with a vocal cue such as 'over'.

This :) I tend to use the area just in front of the flank and behind the ribs as its more sensitive than trying the actual bum. I use a key word but i also say things like "frog" and he still moves, so its more about body language really. If i want him to move his quarters i usually have my shoulder/back to him so he moves, if im facing his head, he doesn't move cause i don't want him too cause im usually about to adjust girth/rug etc. Horses don't speak words at the end of the day.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I use a schooling whip if on board, not to tap them, just to vibrate on their side right by where I've just used the leg aid. Obviously stop all aids the moment they move. Some find it easier to just get the hang of moving the bum first, so aid further back aiming for a sort of loose turn on the forehand.

paddi22

Visit site
i take any green horses out hacking, and find they generally get the idea easily if they have to move sideways around hedges etc. I find it handy for instilling the 'leg means move sideways' thing at the same time as them doing it naturally

wench

Visit site
i take any green horses out hacking, and find they generally get the idea easily if they have to move sideways around hedges etc. I find it handy for instilling the 'leg means move sideways' thing at the same time as them doing it naturally

Alas we can't go out hacking ATM. I've tried around things in the school, doesn't se to work though :(

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
One of the very first "sidewaysey" things I teach baby horses is "head-to-the-wall". It's renvers, essentially, and starts with just asking the horse to move his quarters towards track and his head towards the wall whilst standing still. Then ask for a step or two in walk, straighten, praise, etc. Progress to half a side in walk, then straighten. You can ask for it in trot after that, but don't make them go for too long a distance.