Teaching an old horse new tricks?

Shantara

Visit site
I was musing about teaching Ned to drive. It's unlikely I'll ever get around to it (cost of cart/harness and time) but have you ever taught a horse over 14yrs to do someone completely new?

pennyturner

Visit site
I taught Brave when he was 13. He took to it like he was born for it - which as a 13.3hh Welsh he was, I suppose.
Tub Cart cost £300, harness cost £90. Best thing I ever did.

attachment.php

Shantara

Visit site
Gorgeous pony!! What a lovely colour :D

Really it's just cost that's stopping me, at the moment at least. If I ever get a little more money, I shall have to try!

pennyturner

Visit site
Don't let cost put you off. You can start long reining with a riding saddle and a couple of washing lines!
Ask around locally. You may find someone who drives who'll help you get started. Friendly lot, carriage drivers.

The harness in the picture is a cheapo foreign one. They're fine - although you'll have to repair the odd bit of stitching eventually. £90 is the new price. I got a smaller one second hand for £30. Try a wanted ad to find a cheap exercise cart. I recently sold a little breaking cart (responding to a wanted ad) for next to nothing. It was horrid, but serviceable. Remember also that if you buy second hand, you shouldn't lose any money on a vehicle when you sell it - provided you've somewhere to store it. I borrowed a council garage for years.

Shantara

Visit site
I'll have to try long lining! He should hopefully be back in work soon-ish so I might do a bit of that to help him get fitter :D

I got a very cheap harness for Cookie from the dreaded DD! It's really nice and the lady who sold it was lovely! I think it cost £45.

I really want to teach Cookie (I did start actually, but I was unable to take him out because of Ned. Friend will be home in April, so going to rope her in to help :p) He's very good long lining in the field but needs the next step.

Oooh, it's starting to sound very possible :D

kellybee

Visit site
My little Shetland mare was backed at the age of 15. Long story but we bought her as been everywhere done everything, put her on working livery only to find later that she'd been given free to a good home a few days before I bought her. Unbacked, never seen traffic or children and never been used as a broodmare because of poor conformation. You'd never know. For a feral pony she's doing great :)

Oh, and my trotter is 17 now. I taught him to jump this summer and he absolutely LOVES it.

flirtygerty

Visit site
My 20yr old rescue mare is a willing learner, she came with no history, an attitude problem and no manners, she is now trusted with novice riders aged from 3yr old to 75yrs old, nannies my baby cob as nothing worries her, except strong winds in a barn, she recently crossed a swollen stream ridden bareback in just a headcollar (she was being led) while the other 3 horses were convinced we were trying to kill them