teaching children about horses

tanira

Visit site
Hello every one, This is a bit of a strange post

I am currently studying at university and am taking a course on computer aided learning. My idea was to teach children about horses. Could any one tell me if the BHS still do any child examinations?
I remember when I was younger doing some sort of groom thing where we had to work our way up the different stages (you got a sticker on your card every time you completed an exam). First of all learning about brushes, then about different parts of the horse, the tack etc. Can any one else remember this? Is it still around?
Or does any one have any interesting ideas?
I know it's a bit of a weired one to ask on here but your all horsey people.
What do you think children should first learn/be taught about horses?
Any help or idea would be great
grin.gif

Geraldine

Visit site
When I learnt to ride we had to learn all about stable management, care of the horse etc before we were even allowed to sit on a pony!!! It amazes me that riding schools don't do that here - well, not the ones local to me.
confused.gif

When we came to live in England I went riding at a local school and they looked at me like I'd got 2 heads when I asked if I could groom and tack up my allocated pony.
shocked.gif

tanira

Visit site
Whats a PRT and is that done via the BHS? It doesn't have to be BHS guidelines i stick to. I just need to be able to read what they teach the children.

beckieswann

Visit site
Also a lot of Riding Centres do "fun days" for kids where they learn how to groom, tack up, conformation as well as ride - ours used to do half days and full days during the summer, but otherwise the Pony Club is your best bet.

For Pony Club D tests they have to know the very basics - brushes, a bit about conformation such as poll, mane etc, as well as being able to correctly lead their pony... you can get all the different tests cards on the PC website, as well as all the other tests they now run as well. I think they're also introducing an E test which is even more basic and for the very very young rider.

indiat

Visit site
My four year old and seven year old are learning the basics by working for their mini achievement badges which they get through the Pony Club. The badges are a great idea for the tiny ones.

tanira

Visit site
I have looked on the pony club site. It's really good and has a game/quiz similar to what I will need to create. Thanks for all your advice I will carry on my research.
smile.gif