Teaching flying changes.

X

xspiralx

Looking for some advice here as its something I'm struggling with, and I'd like to get sorted.

The mare I ride is lovely, very balanced in her paces and works well over her back. She will change legs over fences if I ask quite often, but sometimes she doesn't, and I would like to sort out flying changes on the flat, but I'm just struggling.

If I ask on the flat she will change in front, but usually stays disunited behind and as a result gets unbalanced - sometimes she corrects herself a couple of strides later but often not and I have to come back to trot and pick up the correct lead again.

I am sure a large part of it is my problem, as I am not an incredibly strong rider, and also she has just had her back done which should help as she was quite locked up behind the saddle.

Anyway, I am just looking for some advice on how to work forward with this issue, and some suggestions of exercises to do would be really useful. I know a lot of it is down to time and perseverance, but I just want to make sure I'm progressing in the right way.

Many thanks in advance!

longtalltilly

Visit site
have you tried getting it over a pole on the ground and changing the rein? when she changes in front try keeping the canter and collecting it up nut riding forwards, i know sounds odd and is uncomfortable but just will help her find her legs!

X

xspiralx

I have tried that, but doesn't seem to work really - and the more I collect and "ask" her the less often she seems to get it.

When I try to keep the canter when she's disunited she just paddles behind and gets really unbalanced - I can get her to keep going but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Peanot

Visit site
Hi, this is what my trainer has taught me as my horse does something similar.
If doing a flying change on the flat, eg, from right rein to left rein, I ride a figure of 8. Have a nice canter and as you are about to ask for the change, to the left, ask for leg yield to the right with the left leg, then ask for left bend and nudge with the right leg behind the girth. This worked wonders for me as long as the horse is straight through the body and shoulders. Hope this helps.
Another way that I was taught on my other horse, is across the diagonal. Ride down the long side in 1/4s in to get the horse used to the aids, and then when you want to ride the diagonal, ask for 1/4s in just off the turn, then when you want to change, ask for the opposite bend and 1/4s out, this was taught to me by another instructor.
So you can try both and see which one works for you.

moneypit1

Visit site
You could try coming back to trot for 3 or so strides and asking again aross the diagonal and slowly decreasing the trot strides to 2 then 1 etc. Good luck x