teaching lessons on your own pony.

show_jumper

Visit site
hi there.
i ws wondering if ou guys could help me. i curently teach on a freelance basis, with childeren on their own ponies. but wanted to start teaching on my school master pony, but didnt know what kind of lisence i would need etc to be able to teach childeren on my pony??
any input would be really helpfull.

thanks for reading

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
I've got a feeling that you will need a 'riding school license'. It's probably called something else, but I believe that as soon as you 'take payment' for someone having a lesson on your own horse, you are classed as a riding school, even if it is only one horse you use and only occassionally.

The matter of business rates and a different insurance rate probably also applies.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who do this occassionally with no problems but they may run into difficulties if there were an accident and the rider sued.

I stand to be corrected on this and I'm sure there will be someone who knows the definitive answer who can help.

keysoe

Visit site
riding school lisence, from your local district council. Same rules if you have one school horse used for a couple of lessons per week, or 40 working full time.

You will need to ammend your inssurance also.

In short - not worth it; unless you can get them to be "sharers" of your pony, then you will be teaching on their own animal again

dieseldog

Visit site
I would think you would be classed as a riding school, so you would need a licence from the council, inspected by the firebrigade, Health & Safety very good insurance. Might be wrong though

Just the price of the insurance would make it uneconomical to only use one horse

dieseldog

Visit site
Its not how much the licence costs it what you have to do to get it. Your premises will be inspected annually, apart from your stables and school you will also need an isolation box for animals that are ill, you will have to comply with every health and safety regulation going. You are probably looking at quite a few thousand in insurance. Buisness rates go on the size of your property and will be at least £2k. Theres a reason why so many schools are closing, and they aren't trying to do it with only 1 horse

You might be better putting your pony on working livery at a school somewhere, and then using him from there.

show_jumper

Visit site
wow - dont you just love the way the council will do anything possilble to squeeze every lst penny out of you!!! thanks for all the advice - much appreciated -certainly cahnged my mind about that idea!! lol