Team Chase 101

tilly_monster

Visit site
Once you done it once, you will want to do it again, you get hooked very quickly, where about are you planning on going, and at what level?

Gamebird

Visit site
Am subbing into an existing team for the Grafton and the Cotswold. Doing Intermediate and (I think) fastest time, not bogey time.

Carefreegirl

Visit site
We did the Grafton a few years ago and it is fab. Quite a long course. Only thing I'd advise is take some alcohol :biggrin3:

As already mentioned - you will be hooked !

Gamebird

Visit site
It can spoil a very nice horse rather quickly if you're not careful. And that will annoy your dressage trainer immensely.

:p
Just as well I don't have a very nice horse to spoil then! :p

As for annoying my dressage trainer.... after this summer we're definitely owed some FUN! (and luckily the first fixture is the day after our Area Festival. IF I decide to do it... ;) ).

Lynds

Visit site
Its the most fun you can have legally imo. Can result in blinky cocky pony jumping out of field for about a month after! :)

tilly_monster

Visit site
Different part of the country from me, so I don't know those courses, but i would try and be either the 3rd or 4th horse, it will be quick, and before you know it you will be crossing that finish line with a big smile,the team chasing website as loads of good information on it, good luck, you will love it

Gamebird

Visit site
Different part of the country from me, so I don't know those courses, but i would try and be either the 3rd or 4th horse, it will be quick, and before you know it you will be crossing that finish line with a big smile,the team chasing website as loads of good information on it, good luck, you will love it

I was hoping to be 4th ;)

Starbucks

Visit site
Don't you do some of the hunt races and stuff??

Intermediates are normally ok, decent, but not *oh my god, I'm going to die!!* type of fences.

I have only been in a fast open team once (although it was a small open, but nearly all timber) and I'm not going to lie, I was flipping petrified! I had the slowest horse in the team and we were literally flat out at every fence, no time for a check!! We won, and my little chunky horse finished in front because all the others got knackered but I wouldn't do it again!!

I think you will love it (depending on how crazy fast your team are!)

BarmyC

Visit site
I absolutely love it!!! My horse and I are in our 4th season. We have done all intermediates up until now and will go open at the pytchley next week.

It is in my eyes the best fun you can have on your horse. Some intermediates can be enormous and some are much more rider friendly but the one thing I have noticed is that they all jump beautifully. The Grafton has changed the course this year and there has been talk that the hedges aren't as big as they have all had to be cut to shape and will grow in the following years.

My essentials include, a very fit horse, lucky pants and socks, lots of whiskey and also lots of coffee.

ironhorse

Visit site
Do you mind saying who you are riding with OP, then I can give you the dirt on them, LOL! Seriously, if you are joining an established inter team, they will probably be very organised and will look after you very well. You need to get down to the collecting ring early enough to have a canter about together so you can assess how quick they are and what your pace will need to be - the good inter teams are VERY quick. Arrange to walk the course with your team so you can discuss turns etc. Is your horse used to galloping and jumping with others? If not, might want to err on the side of caution with bitting! I would use good solid boots in front as the speed/turning means that they can strike into themselves. Make sure you take plenty of water for washing off - the venue is in the middle of a field and water is not easily available plus a good first aid kit as blackthorns are an issue with the hedges. Be prepared for a massive adrenalin rush for you and the horse - even my steady old hunter had a complete personality transport, for the better! You will love it, and as others have said - be prepared to get hooked! Have you seen the website and FB page? www.teamchasing.co.uk ?

dianchi

Visit site
I would LOVE to go team chasing, but im in herts and there don't seem to be any round my way! Got a bunch of loonies to do it with too! Just need a sml novice course!

What is bogey time?

ironhorse

Visit site
Dianchi - you wouldn't be that far from the Bicester (Oxon) or the Essex and Suffolk - most team chasers have to travel to fulfill their passion!

Bogey time is a set optimum time - judged at a 'fair hunting pace' that is used to find the winner of all novice and some intermediate classes. It means that you don't have to go flat out to be in with a chance of being placed.

Have a look at www.teamchasing.co.uk and its facebook page - the pics will make you want to have a go even more :D

dianchi

Visit site
I travel all over for horseball all summer (From herts upto Bishop Burton and down to France!) was hoping for a more "local" winter!

So bogey about XC pace or faster?

Yes ive been on there website, was a bad idea................................ :D

Morgan123

Visit site
Ah PLEASE do a comp report with photos after! I've always wanted to do some but I'm too chicken. Why don't they do any 2'3-2'6 courses?!?! VERY jealous of your guts. Good luck!!! They sound like the most amazing thing in the world!!!

Bernster

Visit site
Ah PLEASE do a comp report with photos after! I've always wanted to do some but I'm too chicken. Why don't they do any 2'3-2'6 courses?!?! VERY jealous of your guts. Good luck!!! They sound like the most amazing thing in the world!!!

Me too - looks like the best fun you can have on a horse but only for the bold at heart. I'd love to do a baby one as think my horse would love it - she's fabulously bold in company, quick and athletic and loves a good gallop. We get our kicks hiring out xc courses instead and on sp rides.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Excellent advice from ironhorse, I used to groom for friends of mine at team chases (incidentally one of whom is an equine vet!). The Cotswold is lovely, fit horse definitely needed as the finish is uphill. There tends to be an overzealous steward at the finish who tries to insist you dismount and lead your buzzing, high as a kite horse down the steep , slippery downhill to the lorry park, just to warn you!

You will have the most amazing fun, the team chasing crowd are the most fantastic bunch of people. Alcohol and cakes are a must for the obligatory post run picnic in the lorry park!

BarmyC

Visit site
I am at the bicester this Sunday. I can take some pictures of the fences if you like to give you an idea.

Let me know which team you are on at the Grafton and I will see if I can pop over and say hello. :)

Gamebird

Visit site
Thanks everyone!

BarmyC and Ironhorse - I forgot to ask what the team is called :eek: . Major teamchasing fail! Black and white colours apparently but that's it. Some fence pics would be lovely thanks.

Joyous70

Visit site
Just wanted to say hope you have a great time - i went along to watch at Atherstone a couple of weekends ago, it was a brilliant day out just watching.

please please please do a comp report.

Arniebear

Visit site
Black and white colours... Isnt that the cunning stunts colours?? Ive watched a few TC's with a friend who rides for them, shes insane!!! As much as i would love to try it some of those open fences look like they require you to sign a consent form!! Kudos to anyone who actually approaches them!!! :D Good luck thou it looks amazing fun, if i had the right horse id deffinatly give it a crack but i like my sane warmblood too much atm haha!! Pictures are most certainly a must!!!! :)

Arniebear

Visit site
If it is the cunning stunts message sarah23 on here as she has run with them at novice, inter and opens :) i cant remember what events she said shes running at this season thou!!! Not the best of help sorry!!!! :)

ironhorse

Visit site
Yep, that'll be the Cunning Stunts - their inter team (Cupid Stunts) is very competitive, but they are so nice you will have a ball. Agree with the point about the Cotswold, it is hilly, but the more experienced teams have a strategy of not going off too quick so there is still something left in the tank for that last hill. There are links to pics of each event from the team chasing website - not sure how relevant the Grafton ones will be as it hasn't run for a couple of years, but Cotswold ones will give you the idea.
Oh and make sure you have a good appetite when you go to the Cotswold, they do the most amazing bacon butties, cakes and mulled wine in their catering tent!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Intermediate is the perfect height to kick on and enjoy it - I have really missed team chasing. I have only done one open, I cried before I got on, and I cried in the warm up, I cried with relief when I finished, and I will never do it again.

I have had a good few rounds with Starbucks on here, and i have to say the key to having fun is to a) have a port before you get on and b) sit back :)