Team Reggie go to Disneyland! The best start to the season

Lolo

Visit site
This is a very happy report!

Last weekend Tango came back to Team Reggie after a nice winter holiday for him to digest his summer of learning. He's grown about 3 inches and is verging on Reggie-height. Al looks a tiny bit little on him as he's not exactly dainty! He's as agreeable as ever though, and Al's plan is to spend the next 6 months deciding what he wants to be when he grows up.

The other two boys have had this decision made though, and the eventing season is well under way! Both attended the Burnham Market eventer trial, Smokes in the 90cm and Reg in the 1m class. Smokes came off the lorry so calm they trotted him up and poked and prodded to see if he was ok... But no, he was just very chilled out! Al suspected he was conserving energy though, and was spot on right :D He was quite green in the SJ section, with the distraction of mirrors and wind and other horses visible proving quite a lot for him to take in. He had one stop when he went very green about the filler flapping in the wind, but Al told him to man up, which he duly did and was very good for the rest of the round. He then skipped round the XC very happily and enjoyed himself immensely. Only just out of the rosies too in a big class!

[youtube]HSUvOQrQ-PI[/youtube]

Reg compensated for Smokes chill by behaving appallingly! He was very lit up and jolly n the SJ, literally cantering through the offset skinny. He ended on 16 faults because Al insisted on not allowing him to career everywhere, but his round was really nice and when he's regained some sense things will improve further! He then stormed the XC in his usual manner, needing virtually no input for Al at all and generally being very cocky and very clever! He probably needs to move up XC-wise, but his SJ is not there. He'll have a lot of fun at BE100 though, sourcing the hardest XC tracks we can!

[youtube]eqWUjMP4C_Q[/youtube]
Reg's SJ round, very exciting stuff!

And today, Smokes got a solo outing to Disneyland. Or Norton Disney as some call it ;) He was doing the 90cm, and Al was a bit worried it was too big an ask as a second ever ODE/ 3rd XC round! Worries were compounded by it being the BE90 from October- a lovely course, but a proper end-of-season run rather than a green pony's first attempt!

But onwards, and he warmed up for the dressage sweetly. He got quite worried and lit up by someone insisting that they had right of way over the entire field for the warm up and getting far too close to him. He tried really hard though- canter transitions still need work, and he was still buzzed so tension crept in. But he tried really hard. The score was a disappointing 40, but he was still 12th after the dressage in a class of 40 odd!

The SJ wasn't big, but it was technical and caused its share of flying poles and stops. The winter spent working on control came into play and he jumped a lovely clear round. This shifted him up to 9th!

Finally, the XC. There'd been falls and stops and crying children and mothers all over the course so Al planned on just taking it one fence at a time and keeping things very steady.

[youtube]KGPEsxrGP10[/youtube]
He started quite green, but as the round went on he gained in confidence and just kept jumping what was put in front of him.

[youtube]YPeJgskUqb4[/youtube]
He was such a star, proper little trier. And he managed a DC on his first attempt at BE90 level, on his second ODE! Al is absolutely over the moon with him, he is such a game pony. He can be exceptionally annoying at times (Reg can testify!) but he tries very hard to always say yes.

No idea if he managed to get a frillie, because the Al didn't push on the XC at all and just let him work stuff out. Next time she'll push a little more as he was so clever today!

Thank you for reading :)

FlipFlop5

Visit site
Was she dressage warm up about 1130-ish. Think I almost crashed into her walking out!

Well done , was a tough ask for the first event of the year!

Clare85

Visit site
Fantastic, well done Al! I love Smokey's enthusiastic little face at the end of the XC. He's a dude! Long may the Team Reggie success continue :)

Kokopelli

Visit site
Love these updates, can't wait to hear of tangos adventures.

I'm still in love with smokes, there is something about iron greys. Love reg getting excited, that's a lot of horse to hold together.

Nicnac

Visit site
What? No Mickey Mouse ;-)

Great rounds - well done Al. Such a lovely confidence giving rider. Smokey is still my favourite - can't beat a grey! He's looking very grown up now and Reggie is still a dude.

Lolo

Visit site
Great stuff! Sounds like the perfect start to the season :)

It's been absurdly good. It felt especially nice for Al because yesterday was the last meet of the season and today was the first event- no rest for the wicked, but also a nice rolling on of life :) Fingers crossed it keeps going!

Fab report, am a big Smokey fan. He's looking great.

He's grown up so much, and is greying out so rapidly! He's turning into a proper chunky monkey now :D

what a brilliant start to the season!!! smokey is such a cool little pony!! i think he'll be one to watch as the season progresses

Fingers crossed he won't be the one everyone's watching because of the amazing acrobatics he can do! You never know with him :D He seemed to really enjoy himself. For a poncey pony he's not half bad at all the muddy bits!

Lolo

Visit site
Was she dressage warm up about 1130-ish. Think I almost crashed into her walking out!

Well done , was a tough ask for the first event of the year!

Yes, I think it must have been! Hope your day went well :) And it seems to have been! Nothing nasty, but very much a tougher BE90.

Fantastic, well done Al! I love Smokey's enthusiastic little face at the end of the XC. He's a dude! Long may the Team Reggie success continue :)

He was loving it! I never know watching him if he's jumping absurdly big because he's green or just because he can, but from how happy looked I think it must have been the latter over the last! Thank you :)

Fab weekend for Team Reggie!! Well done Al, what a start to the season :)

It's been great- hopefully all three boys will continue the onwards and upwards trend!

Lolo

Visit site
Hurrah . . . very well done Team Reggie, Al, and the delectable Smokes . . . :).

P

Thank you :) It was a good weekend for the grey monsters it seems (although we're very much hoping ours stays the more practical shade rather than K's pure white!)!

Love these updates, can't wait to hear of tangos adventures.

I'm still in love with smokes, there is something about iron greys. Love reg getting excited, that's a lot of horse to hold together.

He's so like your little Louie in appearance, they're both proper pretty boys! None of that manly bay rubbish ;)

Reg has been upgraded to a pelham bit recently, and I think Al was very glad of it!

Like very muchly :biggrin3:

Actually hoping I 'don't' bump into you this year after that start :wink3:

Thank you! Are you doing Gt Witchingham? If you are, we may bump into you there as Smokes might be pencilled in if Al can find the funds! Not sure they're ones to watch quite yet, XC is still fairly glacially paced :D

Lolo

Visit site
What? No Mickey Mouse ;-)

Great rounds - well done Al. Such a lovely confidence giving rider. Smokey is still my favourite - can't beat a grey! He's looking very grown up now and Reggie is still a dude.

The rider's more Minnie but close enough :D Smokes looks less and less pony-esque, as long as he's not near the rest of the yard who are all giants! Reg is having a ball atm, it's nice he's so full of confidence really :)

Here was me picturing them taking on Big Thunder Mountain ;) sounds like a great start, exciting times ahead!!! :)

Pretty sure a SJ round with those two is probably fairly similar ;) Poor maligned ponies! Thank you :)

My imagination went into overdrive! Well done, great start to the season :)

Thank you :) Hope S is calming down a bit now.

Lolo

Visit site
Great report as usual Lolo. Smokey is looking fab, and Reg looked like he was having a laugh. ;)

Reg was definitely having a laugh, he pretty much took Al round the XC- there was one combination where you jumped a corner, then a big roll top and then a 90 degree turn to another big roll top. Well, a 90 degree turn unless you hit the first roll top at such an acute angle that you don't need to turn at all... Reg was so game! He's a proper schoolmaster now, which is scary!

Thank you :)

Go smokey go :)

Smokey needs no encouragement :D He is a speed demon!

j1ffy

Visit site
Yay, great to see Team Reggie back eventing, what a great start to the season! Smokes is gorgeous and Al looks like she's riding really well.

lex2501

Visit site
Nothing like starting as you mean to go on - excellent!! :) Oh blimey, my chaps better not get wind of an event at Disneyland... would cost me a small fortune in fuel :-O !! :D

Lolo

Visit site
Yay, great to see Team Reggie back eventing, what a great start to the season! Smokes is gorgeous and Al looks like she's riding really well.

She says thank you very much :) Smokes is so very pleased with himself now, Reggie is working very hard to put him back in his box a little!

Nothing like starting as you mean to go on - excellent!! :) Oh blimey, my chaps better not get wind of an event at Disneyland... would cost me a small fortune in fuel :-O !! :D

:D I wanted to make lots of rollercoaster puns but was told not to... Wasted opportunities!